Utah Aviation Monitoring/Photography Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbrasmussen

A while back we tried to have a few get-togethers to talk about scanning. There wasn't much interest so nothing's been done for a while.

A couple of us as are forming a slightly different local group that is Aviation-based. We're going to have a get-together on March 1st at 4:00 pm at the Executive Terminal at the Salt Lake City International Airport. (Upstairs on the southwest side in the American Aviation flight school classroom.)

Our first meeting will be talking about setting up the group, group goals, and future meeting topics such as:

1. Using an RTL dongle to set up an ADS-B station
2. Aircraft monitoring - frequencies, what to hear, maps, airspace, etc
3. Aviation photography

And many other topics the group would be interested in. We're also planning on watching a video called 16R at the March 1st meeting as well as have a few refreshments. We've set up a website at Welcome to UtahAviation.net! and have a FB group of the same name: Utah Aviation. Twitter is @UtahAviation.

Anyone interested please, feel free to come and attend and build the group. Please pass this on to anyone else you know who might be interested.

Contact me here in this forum or PM me if you have any questions.

-Brandon

ryanisflyboy

Premium Subscriber
Anyone interested please, feel free to come and attend and build the group. Please pass this on to anyone else you know who might be interested.

I don't know that I can make it, but I really want to go! Thanks for putting this together Brandon.

Is this the FB group? I don't see much going on there: https://www.facebook.com/groups/7128474628/

I know several aviation photography fans. It will be neat to see this group grow.

bbrasmussen

Thanks Ryan. We're going to try to do something monthly, so if you can't come to the first one, check back. Everything's in its infancy right now, but hopefully we can get the ball rolling and build the group successfully. Pass the word along to anyone whom you think might be interested.

Sorry, I should have posted a link tot he FB group. It looks like the group you found has the same name, but is not ours. https://www.facebook.com/groups/215883225283503/ is the link.

Eventually we hope to set up an affiliation with the airport to have a program similar to this one in Chicago: http://ordairportwatch.org/Index.aspx This would allow members who are background checked to photograph and watch airplanes around the airport again.

Stay tuned.

bbrasmussen

Last month's meeting was a success. It was decided to hold next month's meeting at the same place at American Aviation at the Executive Terminal at 4:00 pm on Saturday April 12, 2014. We will be talking about ADS-B, and I will be demoing my RTL-SDR dongle and homebrew 1090 MHz antenna. We'll also talk about free software options such as Virtual Radar Server, ADSB#, and RTL1090. We'll have refreshments as well. Everyone's invited.

kc7rhw

Premium Subscriber
meeting

next month I would like to go but I have transportation problems right now car has bad trans
so I could meet some one half way and ride in with them. This is dave

Status
Not open for further replies.