Utah Hams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Utah_Viper

I know quite a few of us on the board are Hams. Who all here is licensed? I also am wondering if there may be interest in trying to set up a net?

qlajlu

Silent Key
Utah_Viper said:
I know quite a few of us on the board are Hams. Who all here is licensed? I also am wondering if there may be interest in trying to set up a net?
Are you licensed, Viper? I have asked you this question before but you never answered. As you know, I am going after my license.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
General Class, KE7MQF. I am on 146.620 occasionally, but do monitor 146.520, simplex.

Utah_Viper

Oh yeah, I am licensed KC7NEC. I just have been active. thanks to gldavis I have a radio to use now until I can get one of my own soon.

qlajlu

Silent Key
I am going to start compiling an Excel file with all this information which I will make available to whoever would like it. It will take some time, as you can imagine, so when you post your call signs, please also indicate which license you hold and frequency you tend to monitor, like gldavis and bneilson have done. I have been collecting some of these call signs over time, but they are all in my Outlook Contacts list so I am going to have to go through it to glean the license numbers. I don't have any information beyond the call signs right now, so you guys with licenses continue posting and add the type license held and frequency. (You, too, theaton, even though you are not living here, you still visit often enough to warrant being added to the local list.)

Please add your real name or PM me with it to be added to the list.

Thanks.

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
qlajlu, in case you're not aware you can look up info on callsigns at http://www.qrz.com/. It doesn't look like it gives license classes, though. You can also look them up with the FCC directly, but I don't have the link.

-Tim (N7VU, Extra class)

qlajlu

Silent Key
theaton said:
qlajlu, in case you're not aware you can look up info on callsigns at http://www.qrz.com/. It doesn't look like it gives license classes, though. You can also look them up with the FCC directly, but I don't have the link.

-Tim (N7VU, Extra class)
Once again I wasn't thinking, but then it would be nice to know what frequencies are monitored so a person could contact one of the licensees if he wanted. I thought knowing the class of license would also come in handy, but maybe that is overkill so I am open to suggestions. Maybe the whole effort is not worth it. Ideas? Comments?

Licenses can be searched at FCC Universal Licensing System (ULS).

frankblues

Technician Class, KB7PST

I tend to listen to the 147.04 Antelope Island machine (though it's having power problems lately), the 147.12 Snowbird, and occasionally 448.100 at the UofU Hospital.

Cheers,
Alex

kf7yn

I am licensed, KF7YN (Advanced class). I was first licensed in 1977. Holy crap that's a long time ago! Anyway, I am all for starting a net. I bet we could do it on simplex or use one of the 440 MHz repeaters such as 448.700 N7IMF

mrlthse

Ham I am

Greeting,

My handle is Chris, My call sign is K7CDS, I hold an Amateur Extra ticket, I reside in Layton UT, I work swift shift at Hill AFB, my favorite freqs are the (.82 MT Ogden) the .90 (Little Mtn) the 147.04 (Antelope Island) and the 146.62 (KSL Site) The best time to get my is at 1250 hrs to 0015Hrs Monday thru Friday. Ham it up...

nolesen1

KE7AFP - Currently broad cast on WOW via Vent. (that’s World of Warcraft, Venterino).

I have a CHEAP and I express CHEAP (20 dollar eBay special) handheld Kenwood knockoff VHF radio. Can’t talk to anyone on it. LOL.

One day when I finish building my 10/22 I might save up some money and buy a new HAM radio. One that dose not come in a can, that is labeled SPAM.

Just to let you know, they as in the FCC MURDERD MY NAME. High school all over again. And if you ever try to get a federal run program ie the FCC to change anything, it takes years and years.

But if you want a lot more info try

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp

Last edited:

KT7L

As by my ID: KT7L -- Extra Class. Being in Park City, I can generally only use the Farnsworth Repeater, or the Snowbird Intertie to get into the Wasatch Front. Up here, I normally monitor Lewis Peak (Which has many repeaters) on 147.36. I have antennas for VHF/UHF, 80M, 40M, and 20-6M. I am also acting as assistant to the Summit Co. EC for ARES/RACES coodination within the county.

w7sar

Premium Subscriber
I have a ham license too, but I cannot tell you what the callsign is, it's secret. I also monitor esoteric frequencies like 144.2 FM USB and 927 MHz. I like to listen to 147.54 to hear what Brett is talking about, but I never tell anyone I'm there so they won't know I'm listening! I'm also known to be on a couple of 220MHz repeaters as well. I also like to listen to 155.160, 151.625 (PL 123.0) GMRS 462.700 (PL 123) and FRS Channel 7 (PL 123.0) My former ham call was WB7ULH and I got that back when you had to drive to Denver to take the test. I remember loading my old Heathkit tube radio in the car, driving to Denver and passing the test and driving back happy I could chat on the radio. Huge old radio with a big honking power supply. Worked well on a top loaded vertical. I hang out on the noon net freq of 7268.5

qlajlu

Silent Key
Oh, man, I remember those old Heathkits. It may not have been a Heathkit, but I did try to build a pair of "Walkie-Talkies" when I was a teenager. They had TRANSISTORS in them. I wanted them so that my dad and I could talk to each other when were out deer hunting. Never could get them to work, but it was fun. I don't think any of my solder joints could've passed muster. Kinda lost interest after that.

Why do they call 'em Handie-Talkies instead of Walkie-Talkies nowadays? In fact, they have been morphed into Hand-helds now.

KT7L

Jerry -- You are pulling everyone's leg here :)

For those who don't know, Jerry is the most famous ECOMM's amateur person in Utah! He has been our Utah Section EC for years, and is a prolific writer about ECOMM. For more details, if you are interested -- visit QRZ.COM and enter his callsign!

qlajlu

Silent Key
KT7L said:
Jerry -- You are pulling everyone's leg here :)

For those who don't know, Jerry is the most famous ECOMM's amateur person in Utah! He has been our Utah Section EC for years, and is a prolific writer about ECOMM. For more details, if you are interested -- visit QRZ.COM and enter his callsign!
I did as you suggested, KT7L, and visited QRZ.com. The next time I am in Jerry's presence I will have to fight a perceived notion to make obeisance! Very impressive!

ww7y

Hi Gang,

As you can tell from my username....I'm WW7Y, Extra class since '86. I'm mostly active on HF, but use the 147.04 machine here in Davis County occasionally.
Scanning got me into ham radio, as I have been doing it since High School. Used to have a tuneable portable radio and could get DCSO and Bountiful Dispatch 155.640, 155.670 with one setting and some wide bandwidth. Ah, those were the days. Scanning got me into firefighting....some 31 years ago. Work for South Davis Metro Fire. May retire someday, but for now, I have the best job in Firefighting, Battalion Chief. Get to go to all the calls, but don't have to do any of the work. HI!

Steve - WW7Y

utahcomms

K7FTP here - Extra class. I have been away from this site for some time.

If you go to QRZ.COM and enter a call sign it will give you the basic details. If you click on the Detailed Info link, it will tell you the license class, codes (vanity, etc) and just about everything else you could ever want to know.

I run mostly mobile and have been on HF more than local repeaters lately. We have several rigs in our Project Jeep (IC-7000, Kenwood TM-D700A, Galaxy DX979 SSB CB, and presently a Uniden 796D). We will be showing it at the All-Jeep show in SLC next month.

http://www.commtechreview.net/jeep

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.