Utah LE 10-Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
I cannot seem to find any info on RR about this sujbect....

Utah agencies used to use the APCO 10-Codes but there were several agencies which did not.
Have they all gone to a standard use of the APCO 10-Codes?

Salt Lake Sheriff used to use a modified 10 code format.
SLC VECC used to use a modified 10 code plus a list of 9 codes...
Ogden City PD used to use an extremely modified version of the APCO.

It appears Weber County and Ogden City have adapted to the std apco format except for a couple of exceptions.

Tooele County used to use a slightly modified format of the APCO.....

Can anyone lend clarification to this issue?

Paul

N7YUO

Ten Codes and Homeland Security

Read it here:
http://www.safecomprogram.gov/SiteCollectionDocuments/PlainLanguageGuide.pdf

Interoperability is the goal for Homeland Security. They encourage all agencies to convert from coded language to plain language.

I have lived in Utah for 33 years now, and I have only heard two variations on the 10 codes.
The Official State of Utah Ten Codes, and the Salt Lake County Ten Codes. I have copies of both, as well as a combined list of the Utah State codes with SLCO variations added.

Look here for our local codes and related information:
Codes - UtahRadio

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
N7YUO,

I have no idea where you come up with these little tidbits of stuff but they certainly are worth the read.....

Back when the SL Valley Comm Center was established in Herriman and I was living on the other side of the mountain - they often used 9 codes combined with 10 codes....I was digging though all my stuff and boy did it bring back memories when I pulled out the old worn out copy of my ten codes for that era.....LOL

Salt Lake Co Sheriff did not use the Valley Comm Center codes and hated them......there was a huge media battle going on in the SL Tribune back in the day over this issue.....

Thanks for the info.....it helps to glue a few more pieces together in this huge puzzle.....

Paul

N7YUO

I never seen that website before, and I don't know how old those lists are.
But I know these codes for sure because I have heard them used:

10-0 Utah Caution
10-0 SLCO Hold Surveillance

10-35 Utah Controlled Substances
10-38 I believe is "Computers are down"

10-49 Utah Traffic Light Out
10-49 SLCO Assault

10-53 Utah Traffic Control
10-53 SLCO D.O.A.

10-54 Utah Change To Channel__
10-54 SLCO Traffic Control

10-56 Utah Intoxicated Pedestrian
10-56 SLCO Traffic Problem

10-58 Utah Airplane Crash
10-58 SLCO Follow up

10-70 Utah Fire Alarm
10-70 SLCO Unnecessary use of radio

10-71 Nature of fire
10-71 SLCO Fight In Progress

10-72 Utah Utah Progress report on fire
10-72 SLCO Indecent Exposure

Some of the codes are standardized:
27, 28, & 29: License, Registration, & Records.

10-33 has one meaning: Officer needs help NOW!

10-50 is a crash

10-80 is a persuit

10-88 is Man With a Gun/Armed (10-88 with a knife)

The only "Code" I hear used now is CODE FOUR.

Last edited:

bchris

Another Utah 10-Code List

Did you look at the RR Wiki pages? Codes - UtahRadio

I printed a paper from the RR wiki page about a year ago. I could not find it today by navigating the wiki, but when I type in the URL from the bottom of my printed copy, there it was.

Right or wrong, I believed this to be the standard, or default, used in Utah. I have never noticed any 10-code used locally that did not match this list. It really does seem to be a nice list - you should all take a look at it.

Utah State Public Service 10-Codes

-bc

Last edited:

Observer1

bc

SLCPD does use codes that differ from the ones you linked. 10-15 for SLCPD is Prisoner In Custody, 10-82 in the code you listed.

They use 9-2 for a back and 9-1 for urgent help (Not 10-33).

So at least one agency uses a modified version. (UHP probably uses more 10-code than anyone else now, most seem to have dropped the vast majority of codes)

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
BC - there is alot of great info on the RR - both in the wiki and db....it's knowing how to find it which is sometimes the trick.....LOL

In Tooele County 10-38 used to be computer link down

In Weber County today 10-38 is used by AP&P when they are out on a Parolee (Squad (x))
Also when a constable or LEO is serving court papers to someone.....I believe it sets a timer in the CAD/RMS at the dispatcher console for automated 10-36 checks.....

Paul

Observer1

BC - there is alot of great info on the RR - both in the wiki and db....it's knowing how to find it which is sometimes the trick.....LOL

In Tooele County 10-38 used to be computer link down

In Weber County today 10-38 is used by AP&P when they are out on a Parolee (Squad (x))
Also when a constable or LEO is serving court papers to someone.....I believe it sets a timer in the CAD/RMS at the dispatcher console for automated 10-36 checks.....

Paul

They use the same CAD SLC and UPD use, I've seen it. Basically for checking on officers any activity cause the line to flash, the only change is the code that's input determines the time. You'll hear JCAT in SL say Negative Code 4 checks, telling the dispatcher to ignore the flashing bar telling hem to check on the officer.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
I always wondered why they referred to "no code 4" checks when someone is sent on an extended assignment like training.....

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
I can agree alright there is alot of variation between agencies....but isn't that directly against the whole "interoperability" plan??

Paul

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
Sitting down to "pen" a response keeps bringing up my need to voice a personal opinion of one kind or another. Some positive and some negative.

The one thing I find most amazing is the true hobbyist used to have a brand of loyalty which far exceeded the tenacity of Law Enforcment. It appears, in some form, the tenacity of scanner enthusiasts just does not rival the competition anymore. No meeting at the local 7-11 or the local diner with scanners in hand despite the presence of law enforcement coming in to enjoy a cup of coffee or a meal. We didn't care if they knew we were tuning in. Now it seems we are trying to hide the whole of our hobby from them at every step......

Lists of information were given to us at those local hang out places. Building a kind of repore with law enforcement through this experience because we all meant to oversee the better good of our community. If we saw something worth reporting it was done at the coffee shop not by an anonymous tip line on our "line blocked" cell phone.......

And now I'll open up the forum to take my lumps about the "good ol' days" because I know it's coming!!

Paul

N7YUO

Here is something that has been bugging me.
We used to have a great local scanner forum. Lots of good information sharing. And then, one day something happened.

Note: Some of my information is based on reading old posts.
The Rocky Mountain Radio Association (RMRA) had a website with posted scanner frequencies back in 2000. Just like RR, everything on RMRA was available to the public.

Well, some Olympic organizers and bigwigs at UCAN were giving RMRA a lot of heat about the 'sensitive' information they had posted. The members of the scanner forum finally had enough of the hassle. They 'divorced' themselves from RMRA and in Dec 2000, went to a secret forum, available by invitation only. A member invited me to join.

A lot of good information was shared, including sensitive information. We had a record 810 posts in January 2002 while we were discovering all the sites and TGs for the Olympic venues.

Then in October 2004 we had what I call the 'Big Chill.'
Right after a member posted some sensitive information, he was asked offline about conflict of interest and keeping things confidential. It was obvious that 'we had a fox in the hen house.' After that, I don't recall ever seeing any sensitive information posted. Now, months pass without any posts.

It appears that the RR forums have also been affected. When I look for posts from some members of this forum, I discover that they have disappeared. Moderator Wayne H stated in a sticky: Rules and guidelines for forum post content, "As of 08/30/2011 we will not longer honor requests to delete posts made after that date."

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
That's amazing....I used to belong to the RMRA and your right one day it was gone....no notice at all.....but I was never given an invitation to join the new forum....didn't even know it existed.....

Here at RR there was a recent post from a gentleman who evidently is affiliated with the Civil Air Patrol.
The comments made stood out in my mind....Now in order for people to keep their positions and trust with others they have to purposefully keep public info from the public.....isn't that an oxy moron like "military intelligence????"

I can understand there is a new caliber of people who want to use live police feeds in the commission of crimes and that makes some of the information here sensitive. What is even more sensitive is they can get the info directly on their smartphones in live feeds.....even though I find this novelty quite appealing I can live without it for the greater good.....

Maybe we need to have a part of this forum under "Utah Radiio Discussion" made a private - by invitation only - so the sensitive information is kept away from the public eye....because eventually we die hard's will find it out anyway......

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.