Utilicom Technologies Ltd - Hytera XPT DMR Wide area trunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE6RSU2

Hi.

I noticed some new frequencies in TAFL while searching for Stampede stuff. I plugged them in about a moth ago and they went active this last week.

They are part of a new Hytera XTP DMR wide area TRS owned by Utilicom Technologies Ltd out of Calgary called Utilinet. The blurb from there website:

"Utilicom Technologies Ltd. is also deploying Utilinet. This is a digital IP-linked radio Network being rolled out in Alberta. Roll-outs in BC and Saskatchewan will be happening soon."

Stampede Grand Stand site (CFS888)
410.1375, 410.6125, 411.3375 all broadcasting XTP beacons with color code 5. No voice traffic noted yet.

Other Alberta sites from TAFL:
Brocket (CFJ969) 410.1125
Inverlake (CFS403) 410.1125
Cluny (CFS402) 411.750
Fort Macleod (CFJ966) 412.7375
Jenner (CFR678) 412.7375
Pincher Creek (CFJ970) 421.7875
Medicine Hat (CFJ557) 421.7875
Carmangay (CFR674) 421.8125

I didnt get any TAFL hits for Utilicom in BC or Sask. I still don't have the ability to use DSD+ so any help would be appreciated.

Mike VE6RSU

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I saw those when scavenging for stuff while preparing for my Seattle road trip happening later this week. Or, at least, the Pincher Creek and Brocket frequencies. Interesting coverage map.

I might put the freqs in my radio for the drive, but I'll be literally passing Pincher at highway speed on the way to the border, so if there's no traffic yet, there may not be much point.

mciupa

Database Admin
I've staged the Calgary site for now and named the system Utilinet. I'm waiting for LCN's and confirmation that system is now active.

Mars_P25

Paid RR Supporter
Banned
This is actually called XPT, not XTP. XPT stands for Extended Pseudo Trunking. It's Hytera's DMR Tier II proprietary trunking solution (no dedicated control channel). Think of it as similar to LTR trunking, except digital with more features/functionality/options. It's very similar to what Motorola has done with Capacity Plus Multi-site (formerly Linked Capacity Plus) trunking.

If anyone is interested in reading more about XPT, here's the brochure: https://hytera.co.uk/images/XPT-Trunking.pdf

I believe DSD Plus Fast Lane supports XPT. And for those with Hytera radios, authentication/affiliation or programming keys (aka system key) are not required for XPT. Just make sure to program as RX only so as not to interfere. Happy monitoring!

Jay911

Feed Provider
Nextcom's DT3 system down in Okotoks (on the Miller farm tower, which I think is also known as Bill's Hill) has switched to XPT. I'm able to pick up comms, oddly enough without programming LCNs, using MotoTRBO trunk mode, in Bragg Creek and all the way up to Cochrane. One of the busier users sounds like a cement truck company working all over the city. I'm going to check today if it's part of the Utilicom network.

Jay911

Feed Provider
So Utilicom has sites in the following areas according to TAFL:

Calgary Stampede Grandstand
Inverlake (Rocky View), just outside Chestermere
Brocket
Carmangay
Cluny
Fort Macleod
Jenner
Lethbridge
Medicine Hat
Pincher Creek

The Lethbridge site is only showing "passed safety check" as opposed to "granted" so it may not be alive yet. Loading into my scanners today, we'll see what I pick up.

Anyone else think the Grandstand is an odd choice for a site? Barely ~3 stories tall in the midst of downtown Calgary... does that imply that Brookfield and/or The Bow, etc., are not entertaining radio tenants?

Interestingly enough several of the sites are licensed for 421.x freqs that were formerly used by RCMP. (and one site has one of my 412.x freqs from my FD, though sufficiently distant to avoid interference)

beeperboy

Anyone else think the Grandstand is an odd choice for a site? Barely ~3 stories tall in the midst of downtown Calgary... does that imply that Brookfield and/or The Bow, etc., are not entertaining radio tenants?

It almost sounds like they have a contract to provide Stampede Park comms.

If that's not the case, they might have couriers downtown. The sites that are low, and look between the high rises, work better downtown than the really high sites.

VE6RSU2

I logged the Stampede using Wi-Com 800 MHz Cap + DMR rentals this year for about half their communications - as well as their own Analog Motorola system. The few vendors on site using trunked rentals where on the 800 MHz Caltronics LTR system.

I guess Utilicom Technologies could aiming to provide communications at the Stampede - but it is a strange location for a site isn't it? Your point about the coverage is well taken - it would be really good by the Stampede and downtown, and they are planning to do a lot of construction in that area in the coming years (the new arena and events centre that is to replace the saddledome being one such project that comes to mind).

My personal opinion is that PTT over cellular is starting to dominate - I'm finding that the only TRS system seeing much use & new subscribers here is the Wi-Com system. Everything else is either drying up (the older analog LTR systems) or is static (Prairie Mobile/Midland NXDN systems).

Not sure who Utilicom thought they could attract to yet another digital TRS but it's just my feeling that the market is saturated here and I'm not sure their system will have any one scrambling to sign up. Which sucks as I LOVE listening to DMR.

Still no voice coms as of this weekend. I will keep checking.

beeperboy

As Jay noted that their sites appear to cover the province wherever there is wind power generation. Is that their main business? I've never heard about them until recently. Does Utilicom mean Power Utility Comms?

Jay911

Feed Provider
No comms heard today but the Stampede site was intriguingly well detected by my truck-mounted scanner while in Walden/Chaparral, along Stoney East, and in Balzac. (I was getting the "Nt: 0 S: 0 TG: 0 U: 0" display that the x36 scanners show when they receive DMR pulses but no voice traffic.) Didn't have an SDR stick or laptop with me so I didn't get to see any color code or other system parameters.

They do mention on their website that they have a history of utility industry related comms. The site also indicates the network will expand to BC and SK eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.