• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

UV-5RA Stuck in MEM mode: VFO/MEM button fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.

holmziep

Just got my UV-5RA, charged it up, went to UV5R net and attempted to program my new transceiver. Oh-Oh, nothing happens when pressing the V/M button! NOTHING?!? Doesn't beep, or change the display, or anything. Unable to access the VFO mode! All other buttons invoke a reaction, and I am able to navigate the menu as described in the cryptic little paper manual. It transmits and receives the pre-programed memory channels ok.

Am I missing something here? I bought this on Amazon last week, and kept all the stuff. Programing cable on the way soon. Any comments or suggestions?

holmziep

UPDATE! UV-5RA Stuck in MEM mode...

Sorry for the long post...Please give me your comments

Well, Here's an update. On Miklor.com: Baofeng UV5R firmware Release Upgrades: My UV-5RA firmware reads (on radio display) as BFB297. Sort of inconclusive, EXCEPT:

On Miklor.com Reference/FAQ page I found the three radios grouped together: Baofeng / Pofung UV5R UV82 F8HP AND I found something interesting:

The first example below (for my UV5R) does not work:
-------------------------------------------------
3.8 Switching Modes from VFO (frequency) to MR (channel):
- UV5R - Press VFO/MR button
- UV82 - Press and Hold the [MENU] key when turning radio on.
------------------------------------------------
That UV82 instruction DID change my UV5R from Mem mode to VFO mode! (at least I think it did), But now I can't find a way to change it back! Reset? nope. Perhaps When I enter a frequency and try to save it?

This here is a interesting section:
----------------------------------------------
3.9 Activating VFO / MR Switching Mode. The UV82C (commercial) comes shipped from the factory locked as part of US FCC Part 90 compliance.
Unlocking the radio can only be accomplished using software.

Factory Software - UV82C / OEM Software
Optional Features tab (OEM)
Select VFO/MR En (enable)

CHIRP software - CHIRP SW
Settings / Advanced Settings
Select VFO/MR Switching
---------------------------------------------------
I am wondering (BETTING!) I have the SAME or similar software for that UV82 in my UV-5RA since that function worked when I held the Menu while turning on the radio. PLEASE – ANY COMMENTS??

My programming cable is on its way, (I bet it's a lousy knock-off cable knowing my luck). But I guess I will NOT return the radio yet. heck, it was $ 30.00

Thanks folks,
Holmzie

fornax

Not surprising that the UV-82 method worked for the UV-5R. I think the firmware for all these Baofeng radios is more or less the same, plus or minus a few minor features. Just to ask the stupid question... did you try the same thing (holding Menu while powering on) again? It's a toggle... if it worked to switch you to VFO, it should work to switch you back to channel mode. (Try it a few times... I've noticed about 10-20% of the time it doesn't work first try on my UV-82.)

nd5y

I've noticed about 10-20% of the time it doesn't work first try on my UV-82.)

You're not holding the MENU key long enough. You have to wait for the beeps and power up screen to change to VFO or memory mode. It could also be that the key isn't making good contact the whole time you are pressing it.

holmziep

V/M button non-functional: Now stuckin VFO mode!! follow-up 2

Hey, Tom and all,

Tks for your reply. Lets be sure u know I have a UV-5RA. not a UB-82. I was fooled by my own miss-observation. The "turn-on-while-holding-the-menu" thing does nothing on this unit. I simply have to press the orange v/m button to change modes (if it was working as it should). I just saw the Baofeng U-TUBE demo, showing the v/u button responding as it should, instantly, and I am convinced I have a faulty unit.

Here's what happened: After my first post, I finally decided to do a reset (menu 40) I think THAT is when the unit reverted to VFO mode. Not noticing the unit was in VFO mode, (duh) I THEN tried turning-on-the-unit-while-holding-the-"menu"-button. (I thought THAT got it to switch to VFO mode at the time. Sorry Sorry folks!) But NOW I am stuck in the VFO mode! The same doesn't happen!

I probably erased all the memory channels in the process, but I can't tell because I can't bring them up! STILL no reaction to pressing the v/m button.

Folks, is there IS someone out there who can convince me that this is NOT a faulty unit, AM I MISSING SOMETHING? Please give me a shout, and thanks to Tom and all in advance!!

holmzie

-------------------------------------------------------------
“I'd say I'm a inventor wannabe but some one already did it”

holmziep

Hey Fornax, tks for reply:
Yah, I goofed I think you will see another reply to Tom regarding my resetting the radio. The moderator has to check out my post first before releasing it.

But YES, I did try the menu keypress several times to change it back. Nahh, no such luck. I think I converted to VFO when I reset the radio (menu 40). If you have a moment pls reply to my next post and help me make the decision...

Tks, Holmzie

holmziep

V/M button non-functional: follow-up 4 and final...! BOUGHT ANOTHER!

After much reading here and on the Beofeng and UV5R support pages, seening some U-TUBEs I have decided to RETURN THIS UNIT and then I ordered ANOTHER UV5RA! Hah! Failure is NOT and OPTION! Amazon makes all this very painless.

I ALSO ordered a legit FTDI USB programing cable even though the knoci-off one hasn't arrived yet. This is good for my Kenwood TH-F6A too, replacing the... "serial (20 pin?)-to-serial-9 pin-to-serial-to-usb" adapter that I made. (OK-OK-OK: Ya it DID work...with win-xp, but now I would rather run Linux Mint (try it!!) and I CAN boot into Win 7 (reluctantly)).

I also ordered the 12 V vehicle battery eliminator, supposedly genuine and from Tenq-Beofeng.

Thanks to all for yr answers! "Radioreference is my home Do Dah, Do Dah"
Look for my future posts!

Holmzie

---------------------------------

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
Just got my UV-5RA, charged it up, went to UV5R net and attempted to program my new transceiver. Oh-Oh, nothing happens when pressing the V/M button! NOTHING?!? Doesn't beep, or change the display, or anything. Unable to access the VFO mode! All other buttons invoke a reaction, and I am able to navigate the menu as described in the cryptic little paper manual. It transmits and receives the pre-programed memory channels ok.

Am I missing something here? I bought this on Amazon last week, and kept all the stuff. Programing cable on the way soon. Any comments or suggestions?

Import Communications used to sell a Baofeng F-11 that had the ability to disable VFO/MR switching. It predated the UV-82C.

With CHIRP, you can use the "work mode" settings to easily have the radio come up in either VFO or MR mode after uploading to the radio.

Jim KC9HI

holmziep

V/M button non-function..."adden-dumb"

Thanks Jim KC9HI for your comment. That CHIRP software may allow me to gain needed functionality somewhat reassuring. Have planned to try it first. Have high (er) confidence level hearing from you now. I am sure I won't have to return this next unit. It is coming from Allentown PA whereas the first on came from CA so it may be a different "lot" and firmware, who knows?

Just tracked my radio and accessories including the genuine programming cable; Has arrived at the local USPS! Can't wait! Goody Goody!

Thanks, Jim and all...
Holmzie

------------------------------------

holmziep

NEW UV5RA works, WORKS GREAT, Oh YAH!
I'm HAPPY. The product packaging and manual is newer updated, but the manual contents seem the same. I think THIS one came from Lexington KY or Allentown PA, I guess from an Amazon Fulfillment Center INSTEAD of all the way from Los Angles CA but has same Firmware Code as the other though that has little meaning i understand.

What I learned:
CHECK the FUNCTIONS when you buy a new radio, make sure all the buttons work, and ask other owners if in doubt, etc.

Hey, do threads need to be closed? I guess I wrung all I could out of this one.
"This thread is closed"

Status
Not open for further replies.