• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

UV-5Rv2+ Transmits on UHF but not VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAILEYAMPS

This radio was working fine until one day when I actually needed it. I don't have another VHF radio to test it in simplex mode, but it was working fine on a number of local repeaters until one day it just didn't work. It does work on UHF, though, as I could test with another radio. I tried resetting it with MENU 40 and also reloading an old known-working CHIRP file (no available"Reset" CHRIP file for HN5RV01 1FB297 firmware that I can find). I also did the hardware hack where you solder the two pins together. No luck. Any suggestions?
-Adam

jfranruiz

This radio was working fine until one day when I actually needed it. I don't have another VHF radio to test it in simplex mode, but it was working fine on a number of local repeaters until one day it just didn't work. It does work on UHF, though, as I could test with another radio. I tried resetting it with MENU 40 and also reloading an old known-working CHIRP file (no available"Reset" CHRIP file for HN5RV01 1FB297 firmware that I can find). I also did the hardware hack where you solder the two pins together. No luck. Any suggestions?
-Adam

Did you get the file? I also need it.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
First of all, the "hardware hack" allows you to enter frequencies outside the radio's programmed range, but it does not actually expand the radio's functional frequency range. So it's pointless to mess with it. Especially if you are doing it to TX on a frequency where the radio is already supposed to work.

Second, these are cheap radios. If one breaks, it's not worth the time and hassle to repair it; get another one. If it was working, and suddenly stopped working without you changing its configuration or settings, it's probably not fixable.

Third, if reliability is of any importance to you, HAVE A SPARE. The old saying "two is one, one is none" applies even if you have Motorola, Icom, Yaesu, or other high-end gear. But especially so when using radios 1/10 the cost of the big-name brands. Having a spare radio is also useful for testing and troubeshooting.

Fourth, the first thing you should do with a new radio is make an image of the factory configuration for disaster/error recovery. Especially if you're new to radio stuff.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Beofeng radios are like Bic lighters. When they quit working, you throw them away. No one will work on them and if they do, it'll cost more than the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.