• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

UV-82 Manual Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

DickH

The Baofeng/Pofung UV-82 can be a low cost Police scanner for 136-174MHz and 400-520MHz. It will only scan conventional frequencies, no trunking. But what do you expect from a $40 radio?

Some people have had trouble trying to program it with a cable and computer, but it can be done manually, rather easily, if you follow the steps, below.

FIRST, charge the battery. Seat the radio in the charging cradle and the red light will light.
When it is fully charged the light changes to green.

NEXT, set the menu items.
1. Press MENU. You will see SQL 5. The tiny zero on the right is the menu number.
(The SQL setting has no effect. Just leave it as is).
To change a setting, press MENU again and the arrow will move to the lower line. Now use
the UP and DOWN arrows to change the setting.
To SAVE the setting, press MENU again.
3. Press the UP arrow to move to the next menu item.

I suggest using the same settings I use (listed below).
MENU items explained in detail. http://www.miklor.com/COM/kc9hi/82Menus.pdf

MENU
NUMBER DESC. SETTING
0 SQL 5
1 STEP 2.5
2 TXP LOW
3 SAVE 3
4 VOX OFF
5 WN NARROW
6 ABR 5
7 TDR OFF
8 BEEP ON
9 TOT 60
10 R-DCS OFF
11 R-CTCS OFF
12 T-DCS OFF
13 T-CDCS OFF
14 VOICE ENG
15 ANI-ID - - -
16 DTMEST OFF
17 S-CODE 1
18 SC-RBV CO
19 PTT-ID OFF
20 PTT-LT 5
21 MDF-A NAME
22 MDF-B FREQ
23 BCL OFF
24 AUTOLK OFF
25 SFT-D OFF
26 OFFSET 0.6
27 MEM-CH 0
28 DEL-CH 0
29 WT-LED PURPLE
30 RX-LED ORANGE
31 TX-LED BLUE
32 AL-MOD SITE
33 BAND VHF
34 TDR-AB OFF
35 STE ON
36 RF-STE 5
37 RPT-AL OFF
38 PONMSG FULL
39 ROGER OFF
40 RESET ALL
41 R-TONE 1750

The UV-82 has two operating modes, CHANNEL MODE and FREQUENCY MODE.
To change modes: Hold the MENU key down while turning the radio ON.

In CHANNEL MODE you can scan up to 128 freq. (Channels 0 to 127). To enter freqs.
into specific channels, start in FREQUENCY MODE.
TDR (Transceiver Dual Reception, menu 7) must be OFF.
1. Make sure arrow is at the top freq. Move the arrow using the EXIT/AB key.
2. Enter a freq. (example 154010 - no period). Wait, and it will display 154.010.
3. Press MENU 27, press MENU again.
4. Select the channel you want using the UP and DOWN arrows.
5. Press MENU to store the freq. Repeat for each freq.
To SCAN, use the EXIT/AB key to select the bottom row, then HOLD the SCAN key.

FREQUENCY MODE can scan the 2 freqs. displayed in the top row (A) and the bottom row (B).
To switch, use the EXIT/AB key. The arrow shows the active (and Priority) freq.
To enter the freq. you want, enter the numbers using the keypad. Period not needed.
For example, enter 154010, then wait and it will display 154.010.
To scan the 2 freqs., TDR (Transceiver Dual Reception, menu 7) must be ON.

If you are scanning the two freqs. in Frequency Mode you can quickly change to Channel Mode to scan the 128 channels. Turn the radio OFF, then HOLD the MENU key while turning it ON.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
There should be no need to turn the radio off. Just press the VFO/MR button to change from Channel Mode to Frequency Mode.

nd5y

There should be no need to turn the radio off. Just press the VFO/MR button to change from Channel Mode to Frequency Mode.
You have obviously never used a UV-82. They don't have a VFO/MR button.
In order to change to/from Channel Mode/Frequency Mode you power up the radio while holding the [MENU] key.

Last edited:

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
You have obviously never used a UV-82. They don't have a VFO/MR button.
In order to change to/from Channel Mode/Frequency Mode you power up the radio while holding the [MENU] key.
I am sorry to have been mistaken in my comment. You are correct on several counts, if you're into counting coup.

You could have been a bit more polite though; it wouldn't have cost anything.

DickH

I am sorry to have been mistaken in my comment. You are correct on several counts, if you're into counting coup.

You could have been a bit more polite though; it wouldn't have cost anything.

His comment was NOT impolite. "You have obviously never used a UV-82", That statement was factual, was it not?

KD8USW

The Baofeng/Pofung UV-82 can be a low cost Police scanner for 136-174MHz and 400-520MHz. It will only scan conventional frequencies, no trunking. But what do you expect from a $40 radio?

Some people have had trouble trying to program it with a cable and computer, but it can be done manually, rather easily, if you follow the steps, below.

Thanks for putting this together, great info.

DickH

Thanks for putting this together, great info.

Here is an undocumented tip that you may find useful.
You can check the battery voltage:
1. Hold the zero key while turning on the radio.
2. Keep holding the zero key, wait, and the bottom row will show the voltage.

nd5y

Here is an undocumented tip that you may find useful.
You can check the battery voltage:
1. Hold the zero key while turning on the radio.
2. Keep holding the zero key, wait, and the bottom row will show the voltage.
That must only be on later firmware versions or high power versions. It doesn't work on mine.

DickH

That must only be on later firmware versions or high power versions. It doesn't work on mine.

What's your serial number? Mine is 15UV819113. Mine is a standard UV-82.

DickH

Update: I found the voltage check feature in an obscure place on the Miklor site. It says it is an added new feature.
Also, I misread it. You do not need to hold the zero key while turning the radio on, just hold it anytime.

DickH

The serial number is probably meaningless. My firmware version is B82S25 from 2014. Pressing 0 doesn't work either.

I've been meaning to ask about that. I don't see any number like that.
If I hold 3 while turning it on I get N822411
If I hold 6 while turning it on I get 140902N

I bought mine in December 2015 and I bought 2 more for friends in Arizona in February 2016. They all have the same numbers.

nd5y

You can only see the firmware version with Chirp.
It is under Settings/Other Settings Firmware Message 1 and 2.
As far as I know nobody has yet determined exactly what the power on 6 messages are. Some appear to possibly be a date code.

mm

I have a early 2014 purchased UV-82X, VHF HI/220MHZ MODEL.

While holding in the 5/WN key and powering up my radio the firmware version is displayed on the LCD for 1 second after which normal operational mode is entered.

My radio displays
Ver
B82S26

Holding 6/ABR on power up shows.

131225N
B820001

This is the same as chirp shows in OTHER SETTINGS, 6+POWER ON MESSAGES, 1 AND 2

On the radio back, inside where the battery attaches is a serial number which is different from this number and while my radio is VHF/220 there is a large label indicating 136-174 MHZ and below this a smaller 220-260 MHZ sticky paper label over the main frequency label indicating when peeled away 400-520 MHZ underneath.

If someone with a VHF/UHF MODEL could post their 6/ABR key power on message.

HOLDING 3/SAVE OR 2/TXP KEYS displays

COPYING

The voltage display does not work with my radios firmware by holding in any key during power on.

Last edited:

nd5y

I have a regular VHF/UHF UV-82 purchased in 2014. It doesn't have a serial number but it does have the FCC ID ZP5BF-82 which allegedly ony the UV-82C is supposed to have.
The 6 + power messages are:
140108N
B820003

Firmware is
Ver
B82S25

Like I said before I haven't seen any documentation on what the 6+power on messages are and you can change them with Chirp.
The two firmware version boxes are grayed out and not user changeable.

Last edited:

mm

Forgot to mention the information posted is from my sons ux-82x which was purchased at the same time as the same model as what mine was prior selling mine.

My son likes his 82x more than I liked mine but after 40 years of using Motorola and GE VHF/UHF FM equipment I'm spoiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.