• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

UV-82HP - does the speaker sound better than the UV-82?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsalopek

Hi folks,

I have a couple UV-5R's, have found the speaker a bit lacking in noisy environments, and am looking at the UV-82.

Question...

I don't really need the higher power of the UV-82HP, so is the non-HP speaker the same as the HP speaker? Or should I spend the extra money for the HP?

Thanks...

--

Bill

wrath

Hi folks,

I have a couple UV-5R's, have found the speaker a bit lacking in noisy environments, and am looking at the UV-82.

Question...

I don't really need the higher power of the UV-82HP, so is the non-HP speaker the same as the HP speaker? Or should I spend the extra money for the HP?

Thanks...

--

Bill
Don't even waste your time let alone money on UP radios from China . #1 The difference between 5 & 8 watts is almost non existent unless you are using a big ass directional beam ,anything you put on HT is a compromise (virtually all antennas compromise something somewhere.
#2 both in A.R.R.L lab and own experiences with guys who bought hi power maybe 1 out of 50 gets over 4.5 watts on HP, if you want something with a set of lungs get something that is being made at lower price point by the big 3 , simply because a really decent speaker mic or acoustic tube earpiece is going to cost you as much as UV82 And again thats another expensive compromise because the radio isn't functional in the way you need.

A simple piece of advice that somebody can benefit from " buy more radio then you think you'll need or use" so if you ever get board or want to do more,instead of buying a new radio or power supply you can find something new with the one you already have .Buy an entry level digital/analog radio in most areas ( not where i live ) but everywhere around me theres a whole nother side to radio ,in town we have an ad hoq network of hotspots and when i go out of town the digital side comes alive ,yes i know there are chinese digital radios there audio sucks point on fact take a chinese DMR radio and use it on analog they stink , both icom dstar and yaesu system fusion don't have trouble playing digital or analog,as an owner of of stupid amounts of radios I would lean towards yaesu simply because through a hotspot it can play fusion /DMR and analog they also have a really nice price on there high end stuff ,so you will probably see a bunch of guys letting go of budget used friendly gear in the coming weeks ( as a rule hams are cheaper shall we say "frugal") and they just added a feature to the firmware, that people want to play with and lowered the price until (today actually) of there flagship models, i won't lie last time I bought a new radio was when somebody did the same thing the price cut was signifigant enough that i bought one that i didnt need or want ,but it warmed heart over as I have played with it ,I carry three radios and this thing is one of them .

So honestly don't make lateral purchase purchase something higher up that has good lungs and will serve you for years ( i never sell a radio ,i have radios I bought 30 years ago still in use) so honestly don't waste your money on 82 HP get yourself something a bit better be it a new one or something pre loved that somebodies upgrading .

Also the best times of year to buy new or used is before or after holidays and right around Dayton convention in mid June, that's when the best prices on gear are a sure thing ,except for flash sales if your on a million candy store list you hear about them ,but sometimes get alot of junk emails waiting for something to happen . Happy hunting !

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.