UVa.'s John Paul Jones Arena--Freqs Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtscho

Database Admin
I found a bunch of frequencies for the University of Virginia's new John Paul Jones arena last night. They're just using low-power business band stuff for the most part. I'm assuming these are many of the same frequencies they used at University Hall. The freqs are at this page:

http://www.davidschoenberger.net/scanning/virginia/charlottesville.htm

(Scroll down to the College section.)

The University Police working inside the arena were using 868.9000 [156.7]. This is a licensed frequency for the Charlottesville/Albemarle trunked system, and is not listed on the license for conventional use. I didn't find any frequency for the EMS personnel in the arena, but they may use 868.9000 or another 800 MHz freq. (They carried 800 MHz radios.)

Finally, University Police used talkgroup 26256 from the trunked system for outside traffic control.

Dave

gcgrotz

Thanks Dave, hope to learn more as BBall season comes. When I visited the open house it looked like a lot of FRS radios. Maybe that was just temp. They used to use the UVa facilities rpt because at night they typically didn't use it themselves.

Was the UPD traffic on 868.900 analog?

I would suspect EMS just uses one of their TAC tgps.

Have you been there yet? It seems to be a great facility, got Clapton tix but REALLY looking forward to BBall!

dtscho

Database Admin
The radios you saw were probably the same ones I saw--some of the business band radios look a lot like FRS. SMG (an arena/stadium operator) has licensed a slew of new frequencies in the 451/452 MHz range (including some repeaters). Those frequencies were not in use when I was there on Saturday. Maybe SMG is not officially managing the arena yet.

Yes, the UPD traffic was analog on 868.9000. Can you confirm that that frequency is not used by the trunked system? It should probably be deleted from the database as one of the trunked freqs.

I'm not so sure that EMS would be using one of the Tac talkgroups on the trunked system. The signal from the TRS was fairly weak inside the arena. I'm guessing they're using another simplex frequency, or maybe they are on 868.9000 with UPD and I didn't hear them get any calls.

The arena looks really nice, inside and out. There are a couple glass-enclosed "control booths" on the lower level that are interesting to look inside. I figured going to the free broadcast of the football game on Saturday was a good way to get a self-guided tour and learn about what frequencies they were using.

Dave

gcgrotz

Too bad the game didn't offer as much excitement as seeing the JPJ. I had it on directv and got called out to deliver another generator up to Barboursville. Listened to it on the radio instead.

I'll get back to you on the freqs in use around town. Gotta go take the kitty to the vet for her annual.

gcgrotz

Hey Dave:

I just looked at your web site. Thanks for the JPJ freqs. I may be able to fill in some holes for ya if you want. I've started scanning this area in 1980 working for a 2way shop. I can send you all of my scanner files, I have them in .mem files for AOR8200 and BCD396T. If you can't use them thay way I can export them to .csv files too but it might take a while before I get time to do it.

You might PM your email address and do you have broadband access as I could zip them too I guess. Lemme know.

gcgrotz

Dave:

Well, I listened on 868.900 most of the day recently, nothing heard so I don't think it is part of the TRS. When I can get some programming time (HaHa not this weekend - booked solid) I'm going to confirm all the channels by putting them in a conventional group and locking them out as they come up, leaving any inactive ones.

The JPJ freqs are kinda busy but some of them appear to be MURS type freqs. 464.550 is quite busy with lots of users around town and Shenandoah Tower uses it for their crews. One of the other freqs I heard at some drive-thru up on 29. At least one of them is a University repeater. I'll keep listening to them.

I haven't done your freq lists yet but I haven't forgotten them. Works been kinda busy and we've got 3 grandkids coming this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.