UVA Unicom 123.05

Status
Not open for further replies.

QDP2012

Early this morning I finally heard some traffic on the UVA Heliport Unicom 123.0500 (KUK2); I don't recall ever hearing any on it before. A helicopter (I didn't catch its ID) was landing at UVA to get 2 surgeons to fly them to MCV.

At least now I know 123.0500 does get used from time to time.

Hope this helps,

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure if it them I'm picking up but I've gotten two or three transmissions on it in the last three or four days. They were very brief and I couldn't get what they were about from them but I've never picked up anything before. Listed as back up comms on my sheet.

But I'm very far away from UVA so I question the pick up greatly. Not sure what else it might be if this is assigned as a med channel for them.

QDP2012

...Not sure what else it might be if this is assigned as a med channel for them.

As far as I can tell, 123.0500 is used as an aviation-only channel, on which the pilot will contact MEDCOM to announce final approach to the helipad and landing; whereas one of the standard Med Channels would be used for patient reports.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Okay.

Tonight I got a helo telling them they'd be landing at the heliport in about 15 and saying they needed refueling upon arrival of 100 gallons. Still question if its actually UVA since I'm 100 or so miles away.

QDP2012

Okay.

Tonight I got a helo telling them they'd be landing at the heliport in about 15 and saying they needed refueling upon arrival of 100 gallons. Still question if its actually UVA since I'm 100 or so miles away.

That might not be a helicopter landing at UVA ER's helipad, because, as far as I know, their helipad (now on the hospital roof) has no refueling capability; refueling is done at KCHO airport just north of town.

Edit: You might be hearing Tazewell County Airport (JFZ).

derekjmu

Premium Subscriber
123.050 is a common UNICOM frequency. It's used by many non-controlled airports in the area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNICOM

123.050 is also the primary UNICOM frequency for KBCB (Virginia Tech Montgomery Executive Airport) and is quite active. Planes communicating with KBCB may be what some are hearing, depending on location.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
That would explain it. I added the channel recently and started picking up occasional stuff. I could hit myself. I remembered Unicom being in the 122 mhz range but not the 123 part.

Thanks for the info. I'm picking up something local like Bath county probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.