UW-Madison Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffemtbland

Here's what I'm finding in the database ...
460.375 -- "Security"
460.1 -- "Police"
460.5 -- "Police"
Anyone in the area know more about what happens on these freqs? I suppose I should listen during a Badger home game ... Ha. In short, I'm developing a searchable database for my own reference, and I'd like to be able to assign keywords to these frequencies, however I don't spend much time listening to them ...
Lars
--LOOKING FOR RADIO GEAR, SPECIFICALLY AN AMATEUR VHF MOBILE--pm me if you can help .... Basically, I'm looking for something with more power than my FT-60R--

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Figures that UW Madison would be UHF. They have to be different, since all the UW police freqs I've seen are VHF.

PM sent.

cpd38

Premium Subscriber
This year it seems that all police operations are all on Madison PD #6. It seems that everything is patched together for some reason on it.

In the past it was always on UWPD #5 (460.500).

460.100 is UWPD main channel
460.500 is UWPD events
460.375 is UW security

They also have a 800 channel on Madison's system for UW security at the UW hospital.

bc780l

Premium Subscriber
UW-Madison PD

The RR database shows two new 800MHz frequencies--those are now being used and simulcasted onto UHF-2 and UHF-5. This is a normal progression for some departments before implementation of a trunked system--use them conventionally until the full new system is up. The old UW VHF frequency is shown and is occasionally used as a lake rescue frequency.

During games, lot's of other frequencies are used, but some have come in under temporary use by local contractors, i.e., General Communications.

JT-112

stateboy said:
Figures that UW Madison would be UHF. They have to be different, since all the UW police freqs I've seen are VHF.

Before the 800 MHz trunk system came along, City of Madison (MPD and MFD) was on a... wait for it... UHF system... everything was in the 460.0 to 460.625 range, easy to filter...

Makes more sense to be interoperable with your immediate neighbors, right?

Not sure why they haven't gone to the City system though.

cpd38

Premium Subscriber
Talking with someone from UWPD, they mentioned that they may go to their own 800 trunked system at some time in the future.

I think they are waiting to see what the city and county are doing first. I was told that there are a few options that are being looked into such as county going to a non-800 trunked system and city staying with 800. Then there would be a permanant patch set up for a mutual aid type of channel.

Supposedly there are 3 or 4 different things that the powers that be are looking into.

Until the other departments decide what to do, I guess everyone else is on hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.