Va DMR HAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drumbum

anyone interested I compiled the ham frequencys and talkgroups for VA. working well in Lynchburg on my 436HP

Richmond (W4RAT) 443.5875 MHz
Color Code 1

Petersburg (WA4FC) 442.6875 MHz
Color Code 1

Wallops Island (W4WFF) 444.8800 MHz
Color Code 1

Washington, DC (W3AGB) 444.1625 MHz
Color Code 1

Roanoke (W5CUI) 444.775 Mhz (new freq as of September 2016)
Color Code 1

Harrisonburg (K4JK) 444.6625 Mhz
Color Code 1

Charlottesville (WA4FC) 444.9125 Mhz
Color Code 1

Linden (N8RAT) 443.1625 Mhz
Color Code 1

TG ID -------------- Alpha Tag

27502 -------------- TAC B/Chat 2
3151 ------------- VA Statewide
9998 ------------- Echotest
2 -------------- PRN
8802 ------------- DELMARVA
27000------------- Clear Timeslot
3154 ------------- WV Statewide
316272------------- NASA
3173 ------------- MidAtlantic
27500------------- Local
27501------------- TAC A / Chat 1
8951 ------------- Nationwide TAC1
3174 ------------- Southeast
3100 ------------- DCI Bridge NATionwide
310 ------------- NationwideTAC310

Last edited:

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Add 441.8875 to the list in Roanoke. Don't know why that isn't listed anymore. I sent in the info to Repeaterbook and they put it up then suddenly it was taken down.

I sent messages several times after that and they never put it back up so gave up. Its up and working and has been since before 775 was active.

Believe it or not I often pick up Charlottesville while in Lex too.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Someone down Roanoke way should check the 6125 repeater and see if its still active. It was listed as a temp repeater until 775 went active but it was still up for some time after 775 went operational but I don't know if it still is.

The biggest problem I have with PRN and DMRVA is still that they don't carry the normal TGs the rest of the country does such as 1, 3, 13 etc. Yes they have tac 310 and such but not the regular ones that are everywhere else and that DMR-MARC uses.

Shame really as it isolates the systems from the rest of the world basically.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I honestly don't remember. There were two repeaters at the time and one was on Poor Mtn and the other on Bent Mtn. I believe the 441.8875 repeater, if that is the one you are talking about, is the one on Bent Mtn but don't quote me.

I found an old doc saying 6125 was on Poor Mtn so it makes sense.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
Ghost wolf62, which networks carry the tgs 1,3,13 etc you were mentioning I'm curious? I use dmrva all the time and brandmeister and love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Most of the country does. They are the standard TGs used worldwide on DMR-MARC.

Here is the Towson MD repeater as an example but you can check out the repeater map on the DMR-MARC site and find pretty much all do the same and its been that way since I found them a few years ago. NCPRN broke away and did their own thing. For some reason DMRVA was created and they broke away sort of from NCPRN and followed the their example of not working with DMR-MARC.
Callsign: K3OCM
Frequency: 443.85000
Offset: +5.000
ColorCode: 6

K4USD Net
Towson, Maryland

Time Slot #1 - Group Call 1 = Worldwide All Languages (PTT activated with 5 min inactivity timeout)
Time Slot #1 - Group Call 3 = North America
Time Slot #1 - Group Call 13= Worldwide English
Time Slot #2 - Group Call 2 = Local Only

As far as I know only NCPRN and DMRVA have exited the DMR-MARC network TG wise and created their own thing. There may be other areas so don't take this as gospel.

DMRVA is great from what I've heard but other than 310 or one or two more you can't talk the rest of the country or world. I suppose if you don't care about being on that network and having those capabilities then its not a problem but to me it kind of defeats the entire purpose for the creation of DMR-MARC to have worldwide comms.

K4APR

As far as I know only NCPRN and DMRVA have exited the DMR-MARC network TG wise and created their own thing. There may be other areas so don't take this as gospel.

DMRVA is great from what I've heard but other than 310 or one or two more you can't talk the rest of the country or world. I suppose if you don't care about being on that network and having those capabilities then its not a problem but to me it kind of defeats the entire purpose for the creation of DMR-MARC to have worldwide comms.

For the most part, this is all true. I have been involved with DMRVA for a couple of years now. We have the NASA Wallops repeater 444.8800 here at the facility.

When we migrated from NCPRN to DMRVA, we picked up groups like Virginia Statewide, Mid-Atlantic and Southeast. I'm glad we didn't pick up Worldwide, Nationwide, ect. Those TG's are becoming wastelands of dead key ups and horrible audio. Not to mention, littered with people who have no idea what they are doing because they bought a radio, found a pre-made codeplug somewhere and just started using it.

DMRVA has been a good home for us. I especially like the use of VA TAC A and VA TAC B for inter-network chatting. VA TAC B is permnantly tied to NCPRN's Chat 2. So it works as a nice cross-over interop talkgroup, without having to tie up their PRN talkgroup on slot 2. At our site, we have added the DELMARVA group (linked with Ocean City, MD and Princess Anne, MD) and the NASA WIDE talkgroup to talk with other NASA clubs. Jay and James with DMRVA have been great about customizing each repeater owners profile to include anything we ask for (within reason).

Virginia Statewide has been great too. We reserve timeslot 2 for Statewide and it has worked wonderfully as a "calling talkgroup" that is always on and available on any DMRVA repeater. Sadly, we have many DMR repeaters in Virginia where the owners refuse to migrate over to DMRVA, to make a more cohesive network. Maybe we'll be able to convince more to move over time, but as of now it's almost 50/50 DMRVA/Other networks.

I'm excited to see what new DMRVA sites pop up over the next few years. We're actively seeking out sites in Lynchburg (possibly Apple Orchard), Farmville, several Tidewater sites (I think Virginia Beach, Chesapeake and Suffolk would be a good start) and lower Eastern Shore (Cape Charles or close to there).

Drumbum

Do you know N4MGQ? He is one of the contributers on the Roanoke repeater setting it up,, that is my uncle

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

K4APR

Do you know N4MGQ? He is one of the contributers on the Roanoke repeater setting it up,, that is my uncle

No, I don't. The repeater owners and trustees of the DMRVA Roanoke repeater are Charles Lamb W4KZK and Joe Avery WB4EOT. The other Roanoke repeater is on NCPRN, owned and operated by Mitch Vaugh AE4MV.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
For the most part, this is all true. I have been involved with DMRVA for a couple of years now. We have the NASA Wallops repeater 444.8800 here at the facility.

When we migrated from NCPRN to DMRVA, we picked up groups like Virginia Statewide, Mid-Atlantic and Southeast. I'm glad we didn't pick up Worldwide, Nationwide, ect. Those TG's are becoming wastelands of dead key ups and horrible audio. Not to mention, littered with people who have no idea what they are doing because they bought a radio, found a pre-made codeplug somewhere and just started using it.

DMRVA has been a good home for us. I especially like the use of VA TAC A and VA TAC B for inter-network chatting. VA TAC B is permnantly tied to NCPRN's Chat 2. So it works as a nice cross-over interop talkgroup, without having to tie up their PRN talkgroup on slot 2. At our site, we have added the DELMARVA group (linked with Ocean City, MD and Princess Anne, MD) and the NASA WIDE talkgroup to talk with other NASA clubs. Jay and James with DMRVA have been great about customizing each repeater owners profile to include anything we ask for (within reason).

Virginia Statewide has been great too. We reserve timeslot 2 for Statewide and it has worked wonderfully as a "calling talkgroup" that is always on and available on any DMRVA repeater. Sadly, we have many DMR repeaters in Virginia where the owners refuse to migrate over to DMRVA, to make a more cohesive network. Maybe we'll be able to convince more to move over time, but as of now it's almost 50/50 DMRVA/Other networks.

I'm excited to see what new DMRVA sites pop up over the next few years. We're actively seeking out sites in Lynchburg (possibly Apple Orchard), Farmville, several Tidewater sites (I think Virginia Beach, Chesapeake and Suffolk would be a good start) and lower Eastern Shore (Cape Charles or close to there).

It seems there is little cohesive information regarding repeaters. One site has some info while another site has their own. It makes it hard to find repeaters sometimes. I suppose having them all on the same page or group as it were would certainly help. The 8875 repeater for instance isn't listed anywhere last time I looked.

I have nothing against DMRVA or PRN except lack of the standard TGs. I have no experience with them other than I used to listen to the DMR-MARC web page that let you listen to traffic online. It always sounded good there at least. Considering that from my understanding the purpose of DMR-MARC and the DMR protocol in Ham radio was nationwide-worldwide communication via DMR networks it just seems a loss. Not that I didn't have problems with DMR-MARC from some of the things I read about their attitude and the way they treated repeater owners and users. But still.....

I wish they'd get one out this way. I live just outside the coverage area for Roanoke repeaters. Sometimes I'll suddenly pick up transmissions for a few seconds to minutes in weird areas. Like when I stop at the BP off exit 27 suddenly I get 775 and again on 64 about the 25 mile marker I'll pick it up for about a mile.

But that's it.

Thanks for all the information though. It explains things better.

mejnetguru

The DMR-MARC repeater DB seems to be fairly accurate on repeater freqs/locations. What would be great though if they (or someone) had a consistently formatted list of TG availability. I've had to look at multiple sites to try to sort out what is available where and every site organizes it differently, making it hard to sort out.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Yeah that is a pain for sure. There is nothing on their site. DMRVA's website is set up well though and lists the talk groups. TalkgroupsDMRVA

DMR-MARC doesn't list all the repeaters though. For example the 441.8875 Roanoke is not listed. Like I said you have to go around to try and find them rather than have all listed in one place. That makes it a pain in the backside.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
DMR VA

The Fredericksburg repeater just came online and Alexandria is in the works.

Catch me on sometime.

KD4IIW
Kenneth

Drumbum

Yes I have them both in my code plug along with the new Lynchburg repeater that's online but is having network issues at the moment

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
I bought a new MD-2017 for this new network. It seemed like a great excuse for a new radio!! Programming it proved to be a challenge! I am not sure it is correct. I never did find a downloadable manual on it. But I seldom hear traffic on it. I have Fredericksburg full scale and CHO sometimes.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
Okay. I monitor fredericksburg repeater regularly. Catch me online or shoot an sms

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.