Va MRC and DWR

Status
Not open for further replies.

toolman60

Anyone ever hear much on the Marine Resources and the Dept. of Wildlife Resources talk groups?

If so I may put them into radio to monitor while floating the Majestic James, Mattaponi, York Rivers.

GmanX

Premium Subscriber
Sorry Charlie DWR is 100 percent encrypted. I cant remember if the fish police are

trainman111

Sorry Charlie DWR is 100 percent encrypted. I cant remember if the fish police are
I wouldn't say it's 100%. I often hear in the clear traffic on DWR talkgroups, although I suspect it may be Parks Police. Marine Resources Commission is in the clear, but with that being said, the majority of their patrols are in and around the Chesapeake Bay, so they'll likely only be heard if affiliated with the towers closest to the bay.

RNGradio

Sorry I'm a little late to this thread...

VMRC patrols all tidal waters (salt water) in the state and the Potomac River, not just the Chesapeake Bay as was mentioned earlier. They typically transmit in the clear. The James, Mattaponi, and York are right in the thick of it.

About three-ish years ago DWR and DCR (State Park Police) partnered to have a single, centralized dispatch center. With that change, if I remember correctly, both agencies aligned and reallocated some of their talkgroups, which I don't think has ever been reflected accurately in the RR 'STARS' database page. With the co-dispatch, both agencies also upgraded to a singular CAD system, which from what I understand, is robust enough that many calls are dispatched and handled via CAD, and not over the radio.

trainman111

VMRC patrols all tidal waters (salt water) in the state and the Potomac River, not just the Chesapeake Bay as was mentioned earlier. They typically transmit in the clear. The James, Mattaponi, and York are right in the thick of it.

About three-ish years ago DWR and DCR (State Park Police) partnered to have a single, centralized dispatch center. With that change, if I remember correctly, both agencies aligned and reallocated some of their talkgroups, which I don't think has ever been reflected accurately in the RR 'STARS' database page. With the co-dispatch, both agencies also upgraded to a singular CAD system, which from what I understand, is robust enough that many calls are dispatched and handled via CAD, and not over the radio.

I said "in and around the Chesapeake Bay" which would include the Potomac River. Per 4VAC20, their jurisdiction extends to the fall line of all tidal rivers and streams within the Commonwealth.

maus92

Premium Subscriber

The Potomac River lies entirely in Maryland; interesting that the VMRC patrols it, although they would have jurisdiction in tributaries on the Virginia side (although they would be freshwater, lol.)

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
The Potomac River lies entirely in Maryland; interesting that the VMRC patrols it, although they would have jurisdiction in tributaries on the Virginia side (although they would be freshwater, lol.)
Virginia has a unique arrangement that it has joint LE responsibilities on the Potomac, even though the river lies completely in Maryland.

Status
Not open for further replies.