VA Stars System Dept of forestry

Status
Not open for further replies.

forest517

Premium Subscriber
I got a new bcd536HP scanner about a month ago and monitor the stars system mostly and was wandering if anyone was getting any activity on the dept of forestry TGs i used to here them give the weather to the foresters in the morning when they were analog is anyone hereing any activity on them my location is Bedford co VA thanks for your response

shumadine

I haven't heard much activity on those talk groups when I"ve been listening. A few years ago when we he'd a lot of forest fires throughout the State, they were used a lot throughout the day to help coordinate fire fighting efforts.

W4UVV

DOF is active on STARS

I got a new bcd536HP scanner about a month ago and monitor the stars system mostly and was wandering if anyone was getting any activity on the dept of forestry TGs i used to here them give the weather to the foresters in the morning when they were analog is anyone hereing any activity on them my location is Bedford co VA thanks for your response

Dept. of Forestry is active on STARS but not with as many comms obviously as when fighting an active fire. As a result of budget constraints DOF has downsized and reorganized from its' previous levels of operation.

FYI DOF and DGIF statewide over the past two years continuing to the present have either modified, renewed or been issued new ANALOG licenses. Most but not all of these license actions were related to STARS sites installations. In my opinion for whatever reason(s) they appear to want to maintain some of their old analog comm capabilities.

John

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Well I've heard units of various agencies not be able to use STARS and having to use analog to get through to dispatch. That might be a major reason right there. I know 6/11 and 6/12 are still active analog and I believe I've heard traffic on the old GW frequencies a time or two in the last few months at least. Add some more DOF analog stuff in off FCC search and getting occasional hits but nothing big.

The reception thing in the hills and such could be a big player in keeping analog going. John might know more about that though.

W4UVV

DOF & DGIF...more

Well I've heard units of various agencies not be able to use STARS and having to use analog to get through to dispatch. That might be a major reason right there. I know 6/11 and 6/12 are still active analog and I believe I've heard traffic on the old GW frequencies a time or two in the last few months at least. Add some more DOF analog stuff in off FCC search and getting occasional hits but nothing big.

The reception thing in the hills and such could be a big player in keeping analog going. John might know more about that though.

Ron,

Here are just a few selected screen captures from my database directory which demonstrate what I am talking about. Over the past two years and still occasionally happening are either modified, renewed or new analog operation only licenses for DOF and DGIF some cumulatively reflecting statewide operations. The last license action I recall was a couple of months ago for DGIF license renewal for analog operation only their old 159.4350 mhz. repeater frequency in Chesapeake. Current DGIF comms are well covered in Tidewater via STARS.

I understand the DOF and DGIF comms coverage issues in SW VA with some of these analog repeaters providing possible relief there. Maybe it is for an analog systems backup capability like VSP has or for some other purposes.

John
W4UVV

Last edited:

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
There were just a bunch of DOF and DEM licenses showing new in I believe it was Bath county when I checked the RR FCC search of the county. That or they were renewed with new grant dates.

Either way they are still out there it looks like and won't hurt to be in the scanner.

Thanks for chiming in.

W4UVV

That's the way I see it

There were just a bunch of DOF and DEM licenses showing new in I believe it was Bath county when I checked the RR FCC search of the county. That or they were renewed with new grant dates.

Either way they are still out there it looks like and won't hurt to be in the scanner.

Thanks for chiming in.

That's the way I see it. That's why I still monitor some of the DOF & DGIF analog frequencies.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.