VA State Police Appomattox Division 3 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

anelson5004

I Live in Tazewell County VA and I am using a radio shack pro 197 and pro 106 scanner, connected by an outdoor antenna pointing towards Roanoke VA. I received the Appomattox Division channels 1 & 2 on 9/28/2016. App 1 had a hit count of 74, and App 2 had a hit count of 8, and now I am not receiving them. I am receiving Salem 1 & 2, and Wytheville 1 & 2 without any problem. I am using ARC 500 Pro software, and a .zip file will be attached for review. Feel free to make any necessary changes. Any Help would be appreciated?

thank you
anelson5004
anelson5004@gmail.com

Attachments

• VA State Police Appomattox.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 29

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
Most likely there was a District-3 unit in your local area. The STARS system, detecting their presence (via autolog-in function) on one of their 'home' talkgroups (APP1 & APP2), started passing comm traffic from District-3 onto one or more of your local STARS radio sites.

Then, when the user left your area, the system no longer broadcast traffic to those sites. This is a standard practice for larger trunked radio systems.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
kb4cvn: there has been no division 3 troopers in my area.

Its not so much a div 3 trooper being in your area as a question of whether a div 3 trooper's radio affiliated with a site you can pick up.

For instance I get div 3 traffic when they affiliate with North Mountain, Peter's Mountain and sometimes Duncan Knob sites. Even though the actual units are still in Appomattox the radios are hitting those closer sites which allow me to pick up traffic. When not affiliated I don't pick them up.

That or the VSP dispatch has the sites activated or linked or something.

That's what the other poster was trying to say. It can also happen if a trooper from one area is in another and allowed to affiliate in the new area but usually its simply a matter of their radio hitting a tower outside their normal ones thus bring traffic into a new area. I've had Richmond units in Salem trying to affiliate TG 1 on local sites and being denied because they don't have permission.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I head that happen as well, I've gotten Culpepper Tac Team on the Hampton site, I'm guessing they were in town for Tac Team training

BushDoctor

I have been hearing appomattox calls off the hog back mountain repeater maybe extende

I Live in Tazewell County VA and I am using a radio shack pro 197 and pro 106 scanner, connected by an outdoor antenna pointing towards Roanoke VA. I received the Appomattox Division channels 1 & 2 on 9/28/2016. App 1 had a hit count of 74, and App 2 had a hit count of 8, and now I am not receiving them. I am receiving Salem 1 & 2, and Wytheville 1 & 2 without any problem. I am using ARC 500 Pro software, and a .zip file will be attached for review. Feel free to make any necessary changes. Any Help would be appreciated?

thank you
anelson5004
anelson5004@gmail.com

I have been hearing appomattox calls off the hogback mountain repeater if you cant copy it from your location then i am sure you will miss the calls that i hear on the hogback mountain repeater It might be extended ground wave or units on 81 close enough to access it. When i select that division i was wondering why they were putting in such a strong signal then i realized it was coming through the division 2 repeater i normaly dont copy appomattox unless i am in fauquier county south or on 81 south of augusta county

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
kb4cvn: there has been no division 3 troopers in my area.

It could have been for a meeting, training, or any multitude of reasons. It also could have been a Motor Vehicle Enforcement officer, an Investigator, etc. Or even a non-sworn support staff person who has a radio.

Anyone who would normally be assigned to Division-3 being in your area, selected onto to a Div-3 talkgroup, causing the system to broadcast Div-3 traffic on one of your local towers.

I hear it almost weekly in my area (Lynchburg), were someone from another area, regardless of agency comes in to my listening range, and traffic from their "home area" gets forwarded to a local area radio site. This is mostly the result of a STARS user transiting my area enroute to somewhere else. I can swing a yagi to my north and hear units transiting through all the time out on sites that cover I-81.

fredva

Feed Provider
There probably isn't anything wrong with your programming. As other posters have indicated, hearing Division 3 troopers on the towers in your area is not something you should expect to hear constantly. It's going to be hit or miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.