VA State Police Salem Division

Status
Not open for further replies.

anelson5004

I received Salem division 7 times this morning on the Dismal Mountain tower on Salem 1 according to the playback and did not receive anymore the rest of the day. I have Dismal Mountain, Fort Lewis, Bull Mountain, White Oak, Peters Mountain, North Mountain, Duncan Knob, Sounding knob, Apple Orchard, and Potts Mountain, all in that order on the EZ Scan Software on my Whistler TRX2 which is connected by an outdoor antenna, and all settings are default.

I noticed that both the frequencies and tower sites have the option to shift them up and down. Any help that you all can provide will be greatly appreciated.

thank you
anelson5004
anelson5004@gmail.com

jim202

I received Salem division 7 times this morning on the Dismal Mountain tower on Salem 1 according to the playback and did not receive anymore the rest of the day. I have Dismal Mountain, Fort Lewis, Bull Mountain, White Oak, Peters Mountain, North Mountain, Duncan Knob, Sounding knob, Apple Orchard, and Potts Mountain, all in that order on the EZ Scan Software on my Whistler TRX2 which is connected by an outdoor antenna, and all settings are default.

I noticed that both the frequencies and tower sites have the option to shift them up and down. Any help that you all can provide will be greatly appreciated.

thank you
anelson5004
anelson5004@gmail.com

My guess is that there was a unit from Salem in that area that affiliated on that tower. It moved out of the area and as such you won't hear any Salem more traffic until a unit comes back to the area.

anelson5004

Jim:

The State trooper was in the Salem division working because I noticed that Dismal mountain is in the Wytheville division in Giles County VA.

fredva

Feed Provider
Jim:

The State trooper was in the Salem division working because I noticed that Dismal mountain is in the Wytheville division in Giles County VA.

That seems contradictory. How do you conclude that the trooper was located in the Salem division due to you receiving him/her on a Wytheville tower?

W4UVV

Temperature inversion

thank you
anelson5004
anelson5004@gmail.com

--------------------
Here is my help. It is called a temperature inversion. I frequently get them here in the mornings while monitoring distant DMR and other signal emission modes of interest. Temperature inversions also can occur at night.

John
W4UVV

anelson5004

Mike:

According to the playback, The Salem trooper advised dispatch that he was Northbound at the 139 mile marker on Interstate 81, and the scanner showed that I was receiving him off of Dismal mountain is how I conclude that the trooper was in Salem division.

fredva

Feed Provider
Mike:

According to the playback, The Salem trooper advised dispatch that he was Northbound at the 139 mile marker on Interstate 81, and the scanner showed that I was receiving him off of Dismal mountain is how I conclude that the trooper was in Salem division.

OK, you didn't mention that you heard the trooper give his location in your previous post, just that he was on a Wytheville Division tower. That's why I was confused. Thanks for the clarification. That makes the idea that atmospherics were temporarily providing you an out-of-area signal sound very plausible.

Status
Not open for further replies.