Vacation in Blue Ridge area.... need input

Status
Not open for further replies.

n8yid

Premium Subscriber
Gentlemen,

Just returned from a vacation in the beautiful Blue Ridge Lake area....

I was able to play radio a little bit while there, and was able to get a few "goodies"; but, I need help with figuring out just who they are, or may be....

We had a cabin rented in the mountains; and, I am completely aware that signals may come from many miles away. I have done checks (multiple states) on RR.com and thru the FCC ULS database; and, found nothing... that's why I am here.... to ask for any guidance you may have with these....

First little gem is:

DMR system
TG: 1007 (ENC full time) / Slot: 1 / Color: 9
TG: 1008 (in clear) / Slot: 2 / Color: 9

TG 1008 has Fire Dept traffic on it... did hear "Station 5" on a call

More to come....

n8yid

Premium Subscriber
gh6406,

Maybe it's me; but, I can't seem to find anything via an FCC search for that callsign.... Elbert County?

Care to clarify, please?

n8yid

Premium Subscriber
Next bit of info...

DMR
TG: 1 / Slot: 1 / Color: 12

Heard unit talking with dispatch and overheard "McCaysville & Mineral Bluff" in conversation...

Just did a Radius Search on the FCC ULS site and came up with McCaysville Police; licensed as WRBK668; however, the license is pending Termination, due to "buildout" issues....

Thoughts or comments on this one?

n8yid

Premium Subscriber
Next up...

DMR
TG: 1200800 / Slot: 2 / Color: ??

Searched this one out on the FCC site as well, and believe this one may be...
WQZF630 - State of Georgia

I caught no "location specific" traffic to help on this...

Thoughts or comments?

n8yid

Premium Subscriber
Lastly....

I caught two of four sites of a Capacity+ system that I just cannot pinpoint with any licensing... to make things more difficult; the system appears to be full-time encrypted...

Site 2 -
153.500 - Color: 7 / LCN: ?
153.680 - Color: 7 / LCN: ?

Site 3 -
153.485 - Color: 7 / LCN: 1
153.425 - Color: 7 / LCN: 2

heard/seen Talkgroups 100, 101 & 102 active across both Sites above. According to DSD+, there are four sites for this system; however, I did not catch any info on Sites 1 or 4...

Anyone care to throw out some thoughts on these...

n8yid

Premium Subscriber
MtnBiker2005,

I believe I did use the main FCC page....
that callsign returns as a Paging service "CP"... I don't believe the traffic I heard was "paging" related....

Am I missing something? Not being argumentative; just asking for how everyone may be thinking this works...

RRR

Premium Subscriber
That is unusual. An open swath of frequencies for a DMR system, under "Paging"

RRR

Premium Subscriber
This is interesting. I know Morgan county is like that, similar, using leased freqs. I suspect Elbert county is the same, as they are on DMR, but I haven't been able to locate freqs via FCC.

kt4cv

Feed Provider
Gentlemen,

Just returned from a vacation in the beautiful Blue Ridge Lake area....

I was able to play radio a little bit while there, and was able to get a few "goodies"; but, I need help with figuring out just who they are, or may be....

We had a cabin rented in the mountains; and, I am completely aware that signals may come from many miles away. I have done checks (multiple states) on RR.com and thru the FCC ULS database; and, found nothing... that's why I am here.... to ask for any guidance you may have with these....

First little gem is:

DMR system
TG: 1007 (ENC full time) / Slot: 1 / Color: 9
TG: 1008 (in clear) / Slot: 2 / Color: 9

TG 1008 has Fire Dept traffic on it... did hear "Station 5" on a call

More to come....
This is the Lumpkin County public safety DMR system. Sheriff's dpt. is encrypted but FD is not.

DanRollman

Database Admin
Next up...

DMR
TG: 1200800 / Slot: 2 / Color: ??

Searched this one out on the FCC site as well, and believe this one may be...
WQZF630 - State of Georgia

I caught no "location specific" traffic to help on this...

Thoughts or comments?

That's the University of North Georgia campus in Blue Ridge. The UNG campuses have a DMR repeater a piece.

DanRollman

Database Admin
That is unusual. An open swath of frequencies for a DMR system, under "Paging"

Not that unusual. Lots of rural Georgia DMR public safety systems are on repurposed Part 22 frequencies, which really truly are properly licensed (albeit with market licenses) but not in the RR FCC database because it elects to include only Part 90 frequencies. White County and Habersham County are two others.

n8yid

Premium Subscriber
@ DanRollman,
Where can I find that in the RR DB? ... or what county should that be in to submit for addition to DB? I believe the FCC license was for Fannin County, correct? WQZF630 - State of Georgia

@kt4cv,
Submission to DB? WQYH605 - Lumpkin County 911

Thanks gentlemen, for the help on these.... starting to see how you gents do things down here!

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Not that unusual. Lots of rural Georgia DMR public safety systems are on repurposed Part 22 frequencies, which really truly are properly licensed (albeit with market licenses) but not in the RR FCC database because it elects to include only Part 90 frequencies. White County and Habersham County are two others.
Not just RR DB, but on an FCC database search also.

How can they be "Properly licensed" if the end user, the location, nor the frequencies and Emission codes, aren't even listed?

DanRollman

Database Admin
Not just RR DB, but on an FCC database search also.

How can they be "Properly licensed" if the end user, the location, nor the frequencies and Emission codes, aren't even listed?

Part 22 frequencies are licensed in the Part 22 FCC database, not the Part 90 database you are used to. The FCC maintains many different license databases for different frequency bands and service types. See Search FCC Databases We're used to only having to search the Part 90 database, but that's changed. Part 22 even allows licensees to lease frequencies to other users without re-licensing. And Part 22 is licensed by "market" (a large geographic range) and frequency range, and not by exact frequency and geographic point the way Part 90 is.

For example, White County Sheriff's 152.5325 DMR repeater is licensed in Part 22, not Part 90. It has a valid license on callsign WQRK630. Because RR only includes the FCC's Part 90 licenses, you won't find their entry. See https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?fccCallsign=WQRK630. But if you flip over to the FCC database that includes Part 22 licenses, you'll find it right there at https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=3483817. There you will see the frequency range White County is licensed for, and the "market" they are licensed for. The short of it is they are licensed to use any frequencies they want within the range of 152.525 to 152.55 within market BEA040 County 13311. They have chosen to erect a repeater on 152.5325 on a mountain outside Cleveland, GA, but the FCC doesn't really care about those details. As long as they are within the frequency spectrum on their license and using it within their licensed geographic market, they are free to do what they want.

Conversely, Helen PD's DMR repeater is on 154.115, which is licensed under Part 90 with it's different rules. So their license is found on RR at https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?fccCallsign=WNIF562 and they are licensed at an exact location with an exact frequency.

So yes, these Part 22 users in the 152 MHz range ARE properly licensed, but RR elects not to include their license information in its excerpt of the FCC database. RR has elected to exclude Part 22 licenses, probably due to its very different database fields and characteristics.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Wow, thank you for the education! I take the “database” on here with a grain of salt (good as a foundation to build a “codeplug” on) but I also search through FCC listings, on the FCC site as well. Not as simple as it used to be, when they were given out with a weekly update by a fine gentleman, but I can honestly say, I have not searched “Part 22” licenses. When I have a few hours of “free time”, I plan to do just that.
And thank you for the informative post, I learned something, and am grateful you took the time to explain that!

DanRollman

Database Admin
Wow, thank you for the education! I take the “database” on here with a grain of salt (good as a foundation to build a “codeplug” on) but I also search through FCC listings, on the FCC site as well. Not as simple as it used to be, when they were given out with a weekly update by a fine gentleman, but I can honestly say, I have not searched “Part 22” licenses. When I have a few hours of “free time”, I plan to do just that.
And thank you for the informative post, I learned something, and am grateful you took the time to explain that!

No problem. I had to learn all about this 6 years ago when I bought a mountain house in White County. I knew SO and Fire were VHF DMR but couldn't find them on their "licensed" (e.g. Part 90) frequencies, so I started doing Discovery Mode searches on my scanner. Found them on their 152 MHz frequencies, and then set about trying to figure out how they were licensed. Learned what Part 22 was!

Status
Not open for further replies.