Vacation in Cheboygen Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samuel

Hello from Virginia! I will be travelling to Michigan for my first time next week. I will be driving through the state with the ultimate destination being Cheboygen. The MPSCS system seems rather unwieldy to try to program the whole system and still be able to find anything. I was wondering if anyone might be able to provide a WIN500 file or at least assist me in what is good listening in that area.

seamusg

Hello from Virginia! I will be travelling to Michigan for my first time next week. I will be driving through the state with the ultimate destination being Cheboygen. The MPSCS system seems rather unwieldy to try to program the whole system and still be able to find anything. I was wondering if anyone might be able to provide a WIN500 file or at least assist me in what is good listening in that area.
Per the database here sites 401, 402 and 404 are in Cheboygen County, also there is a link to a handy map at the bottom of the MPSCS list.
http://radiowurx.com/mpscs/
The database for MPSCS does not show much for Cheboygen Co., so try Cheboygen Co. conventional for local stuff
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1242

Samuel

Thank you. Yea I saw the conventional stuff for Cheboygen in the database but wasnt sure about what was more pertenent to listen to. i.e. who provides primary law enforcement services in the county the sheriffs office or the state police? Thanks so much for the quick reply. If you are ever in the Washington DC area let me know and Ill send you a file.

seamusg

Thank you. Yea I saw the conventional stuff for Cheboygen in the database but wasnt sure about what was more pertenent to listen to. i.e. who provides primary law enforcement services in the county the sheriffs office or the state police? Thanks so much for the quick reply. If you are ever in the Washington DC area let me know and Ill send you a file.
The City of Cheboygen has their own PD and there is a MSP Satellite post in Cheboygen, I don't live near there but from looking at the websites for the area, I'd guess City then County. MPS has the freeways (I75).
I don't know if this will help, but the first digit of a MPSCS tower is the zone:
Zone 1: Central Lower Peninsula (Around Lansing)
Zone 2: SE Lower, up through Bay County
Zone 3: SW Lower, Up through Mason/Lake counties
Zone 4: Upper half of the lower peninsula
Zone 5: Eastern Half of the UP
Zone 6: Western Half of the UP
Zone 7: City of Detroit.

Last edited:

diskmonger

Samuel,

As luck has it, I just spent a week in Cheboygan with my PSR-500. If you would like I can send you my file.

Where about in Cheboygan are you staying?

With the PSR-500 and the stock antenna I was able to hear 4 tower sites from Cheboygan:

T401 - CHEBOYGAN 868.4500C, 867.9500A
T402 - WOLVERINE 868.8625C, 868.3625A
T404 - CORDWOOD 868.9375C, 868.4375A
T435 - BLISS 868.3875C, 867.7750A

If you are traveling up I-75 I even have the file setup for each county you will go thru starting in Livingston Co.

Most of the State Police units have the Sheriff/County radio's in their cars and use them. But, they also have the Statewide Digital system in their cars (MPSCS).

You will find some of the counties are still on VHF and others are on the digital system. Some of the counties are simulcasted on both.

Cheboygan County is still VHF but they do have a patch onto MPSCS.

Let me know if you need the file.

diskmonger

Cheboygan MPSCS site

2678464710_4b0a87d268.jpg

More pictures of it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22068386@N07/sets/72157606224823088/

Samuel

Thanks so much for all the replies you all have been a big help. I am staying in the vicinity of Long Lake in Cheboygen County. Yes if you could send me the file for win500 that would be fantastic. I have sent you a PM with my email.

Status
Not open for further replies.