Valor Amplified Lapel Speaker @ Scanner Master Back In Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I have toyed with the idea of getting one of these, as others I have tried failed miserably. After my recent RV excursion and battling with the noise of the AC hum and other ambient noisy contributors I have decided to amplify my hand held SDS100. I tried the K-Poo from England and it bombed with zero bass. My old Radio Shack lapel mic sits at the bottom of Lake Havasu, in Arizona, probably still connected to my BC245XLT, RIP. (Boating accident better left unmentioned) I have heard good things about the Valor, but I have hesitated only because I didn't want yet another battery to charge. But, if the audio is up to par I may make the sacrifice. I am hoping someone knows the specs and if this is a good solid option for the SDS100, or better yet, I hope to hear from someone who has actually paired this amplified lapel speaker with heir own SDS100 and can give me a brief review.

I know this Valor Speaker Mic has been discussed before here in the forums, but I did not find it in a search, and I do not remember that it was discussed in topic with the SDS100. Any help appreciated - Thanks.

JD
kf4anc

PS: I know there is one listed in the Classifieds at the moment, but the seller has his communications (privacy settings) turned off so he is not accepting messages from any interested parties. How can you list an item for sale and not take questions? Anyway, I just got a notification from Scanner Master that it is back in stock and my trigger finger is gettin' itchy....

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
JD I am surprised that you have not gotten any replies here. I had looked very hard at this lapel speaker.

Very pricey but that's not necessarily A Bad Thing as you get what you pay for and indicates good quality.

As far as that Radio Shack lapel speaker I have two of them and because of the nature of low volume coming out of the earphone jack secondary to protecting our ears and preventing an accident or injury the RadioShack lapel speaker is useless.

So it looks like the biggest drawback to this product is it has no on and off switch and you have to remove the battery every time you're not using it. If it works as advertised and does the job I don't think I would mind that.

I'm going to watch this thread and look for your review because I think you're going to buy one LOL... Bob.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Out of curiosity, what’s the point of this for scanner use?

"The “Scanner-Blaster” amplified lapel speaker for Uniden scanners is just the thing for noisy environments!"

Firekite

Ok, but why that instead of a speaker mounted in the car, using the aux line in on your stereo, using an earbud (or pair), etc. “noisy environments” doesn’t tell me why add the complication of a battery-powered, wired lapel microphone with speaker, especially when you don’t need the mic. If you’re going to be battery powered anyway, why not attach an inexpensive low-latency Bluetooth transmitter to the scanner’s headphone jack and stream to inexpensive wireless earbuds, for example, or even a small and inexpensive Bluetooth speaker?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Ok, but why that instead of a speaker mounted in the car, using the aux line in on your stereo, using an earbud (or pair), etc. “noisy environments” doesn’t tell me why add the complication of a battery-powered, wired lapel microphone with speaker, especially when you don’t need the mic. If you’re going to be battery powered anyway, why not attach an inexpensive low-latency Bluetooth transmitter to the scanner’s headphone jack and stream to inexpensive wireless earbuds, for example, or even a small and inexpensive Bluetooth speaker?
Mmmm... as a newspaper guy if I'm in a noisy environment like a 5 alarm fire or some other breaking story, any scanner at full volume on my belt can't be heard at all, my Motorola gear is loud but so loud that now everybody else is hearing what I'm hearing including the competitive newspaper in town LOL who by the way don't even come close to having the access to public service radio that we do.

On my apx 7000 I wear a lapel speaker/ microphone and in the winter I put it under my coat so no one sees it. It's right up against my ear and with the volume punch of the mot I hear everything no matter how much ambient noise there is.

One of the problems is the Motorola gear pulls my pants down. Half the time I'm lugging a camera too as the reporters supplement the photogs. If you have the art then your story moves up to the front.

If this speaker works as advertised it means I can carry the sds100 and have the speaker right up to my ear. I definitely do not want to wear earphones or earbuds as I want to be able to be aware of my surroundings in those kind of environments.

I might also spring for one of these, it looks like it's worth the investment.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Yep, noisy environments where more components, mounted mobile speakers, etc are not a viable option. I have season tickets for Bengals and Buckeyes, where wearing an ear bud or headphones is irritating at times in a very noisy environment, because the Bucks win all the time and it can be very noisy har-har

JD
kf4anc

ManyReason

Premium Subscriber
Do you guys know any other speakers or lapel shoulder speakers for the SDS100 using 3.5 headphone jack that is good but not expensive like this??

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Actually I'm going to say a pretty definitive no. There have been lapel speakers that come and go that are not Amplified and cheap but they're never loud enough for me to work properly.

I try to keep my eye on this kind of stuff and right now there's just nothing out there except this one, I guess you get what you pay for.

ManyReason

Premium Subscriber
Actually I'm going to say a pretty definitive no. There have been lapel speakers that come and go that are not Amplified and cheap but they're never loud enough for me to work properly.

I try to keep my eye on this kind of stuff and right now there's just nothing out there except this one, I guess you get what you pay for.
That sucks I know a few years back there was a lot from RadioShack and other radios sights but it seems like there is no decent one. I just need a simple 3.5 mm jack that can output audio

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yep I've got a couple of those old Radio Shack lapel speakers. They sound good but in noisy conditions just not quite loud enough using these earphone jacks on scanners.

I'm not sure but it's almost like they deliberately don't want them to be too loud so they don't blow out people's ears using an earphone. I think I remember reading something about that.

I agree this amplified speaker is expensive and I would kind of like to get a good review of it from someone here on RR who has used it.

Who knows, let's see what happens, maybe someone will get one.

blackbelter

Per my previous postings , I have a Valor shoulder speaker attached to my 436 and it sounds amazing . I usually turn the volume to 2 or 3 and the amplified sound fills my large room and beyond . I realize that there are down side of charging batteries ( I have external charger and 3 additional batteries for it) however the experience of this pro shoulder speaker is worth it . I also appreciate the natural and loudness of this shoulder speaker in my car .

Last edited:

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
Here’s a review from a happy owner...

I sprung for this amplified lapel speaker last year to use with my SDS-100. It is very well built and the audio amplification is really awesome. I haven’t used it for extended periods of time so I’m not sure how long it operates continuously on a charge but it uses an off the shelf camera battery so getting extras and an external charger is cheap and easy. It does not have an on-off switch so you do have to remove the battery between uses or connect it to a charger between uses. It has an earphone jack so you can also switch to in ear use without disconnecting it from the radio. It has a spring clip that is very versatile and seems very heavy duty too. It does have a PTT and a microphone but those are useless with the scanner. I think this device was designed for use with mobile phones used in network radio applications. I recommend it.

blackbelter

Could not agree more . I have not heard a better sounding shoulder speaker than these . I also have attached it to my SDS 200 and it blew away my Bose companion 5 . I would be careful however to use any head sets with the Valor as they are impressively loud .

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Very good reviews, thanks guys. I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on this one. I don't think I would mind taking the battery out each time I use it, especially if I have a backup battery fully charged.

I'm going to give this one serious thought and go with it.

Thanks again guys... Bob.

blackbelter

Additional information :
Speaker power : Max 5 watts
Speaker power level 104 DB
3 year warranty from Valor /Klien
This speaker Does NOT work with GRE , Whistler or Radio shack scanners ( only uniden scanners).
I have no affiliation with Klien.

ManyReason

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone confirm the battery is a BK70 Motorola battery?
How is the battery life of a single battery of this? And because there is no on/off, do I have to take out the battery Everytime it's not in use

ManyReason

Premium Subscriber
Additional information :
Speaker power : Max 5 watts
Speaker power level 104 DB
3 year warranty from Valor /Klien
This speaker Does NOT work with GRE , Whistler or Radio shack scanners ( only uniden scanners).
I have no affiliation with Klien.
Hey how is the battery life of a single battery

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Can anyone confirm the battery is a BK70 Motorola battery?
How is the battery life of a single battery of this? And because there is no on/off, do I have to take out the battery Everytime it's not in use
Yep or attach it to the charger. As posted that has been a consistent observation that the only way to turn it off is to remove the battery which I don't think I would mind, especially if I didn't use it everyday.

It does seem odd that there is no slide switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.