Van Wert OH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser945

Does anyone know does the Fire Depts in VW county use the digital system or are they still on vhf?
any input would be great as I live just across the state line from them.
Chad

SCPD

QRT
I don't personally know, but the database seems to indicate they are on VHF. There are 5 TG's on the MARCS system for that county but none seem to be FD's.

r_eugene1

Last edited:

Chaser945

I quess what I was asking if anyone knew of talk groups for the fire depts.
Thanks guys for your help.
I know about the vhf channels. Have the county fire in my scanning rotation.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
Van Wert County officials have publicly stated they won't be using MARCS full-time until the subscriber fees are eliminated. Like was stated, they do use their MARCS radios for mutual aid into Allen County.

Mike

wbowery

Premium Subscriber
The VWFD is still on VHF. The VWPD is currently using their MARCS talkgroup for tactical/talk-around type of comms with the majority of traffic still on their VHF channel.

jackj

I guess that Van Wert Co. won't be using MARCS full time. It makes sense for the users to pay for maintenance, expansion and updating. Do the Van Wert Co. officials feel that the subscriber fees are too high or do they object to them on general principles, Mike?

mdulrich

Feed Provider
Its been a while since I read the newspaper article, but I believe it is on general principal. I'm sure part of it is the amount involved as it is hard for some small volunteer departments to find money in a nearly non-existent budget to fund the user fees.

Mike

mdulrich

Feed Provider
I just found the article from The Lima News on October 10, 2010. I'm not sure if you can read the article without a subscription. Here is the relevant section...

Van Wert County Emergency Management Director Rick McCoy said Allen, Auglaize, Hancock, Hardin, Mercer, Putnam and Van Wert counties received the funds in 2008.

Van Wert County has 404 radios, but they aren’t all being used.

“Our plan within the county is to not go full time until the State of Ohio eliminates the $20 per month user fees,” McCoy said.

“Each agency is activating two radios full time at $20 per month, which is a state requirement,” he said. “All of the remaining radios are being activated with the one-time $50 fee, making them accessible for emergency use only. All bases and mobiles will be installed and ready to go, and all portables will be distributed.”

New radio system solves problems, drains budgets | new, problems, radio - Local News - LimaOhio.com

Mike

jackj

Mike, is that $20 per radio? If so it would cost a county with 100 radios (a small number counting portables) $24,000 per year. An exorbitant amount of money for a user fee.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
Yes $20 per radio per month or $240 per radio per year. For the 404 radios identified for Van Wert County in the article that would be $96,960 per year. For statewide systems that charge fees, I don't believe MARCS was out of line for what they charge.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.