Beefy

I live on vancouver island ladysmith area and they have switched to digital

wondering what radio i would need......
I am currently a ham radio operator.......Call sign Ve7gwt

Thanks for any input......

BC_Scan

Ain't gonna happen

Are you just finding this out now ? this of course happened a while back ,
So what does it mean to be a ham ?? does that automatically give you permission to listen to encrypted signals over anyone else ??
you would need a Motorola XTS5000
and the encryption key would be available here... just flash em your callsign
Royal Canadian Mounted Police - Welcome | Gendarmerie royale du Canada - Bienvenue

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
BC_Scan, there's no need to be mouthy or rude. Don't make me get out the moderator stick.

Beefy: Without knowing what frequency you're listening to and/or what modulation they're using, it's hard to give you a definite answer. But the most likely answer is that you'll need only a regular old digital scanner such as a Uniden BCD396T (or BC396XT, coming out in about 2-3 months) or the GRE PSR-500. That is true if they are using regular P25 digital modulation, on their existing VHF channels or on any other band/system, unless they have gone to encryption. If they have, there's no listening to them, period.

davidmc36: I sincerely doubt that a mid-Vancouver Island detachment would join the ECOMM EDACS trunk system which is based in the Vancouver metro area. The system just doesn't have the range for that.

stuck22

Premium Subscriber
All the Vancouver Island RCMP departments (not on CREST) have been or will be switched over to P25 encrypted. This means that no digital scanner of any kind can monitor it.

electricsheep

Beefy

Hey Thanks everyone for the info........thanks to stuck22 and jay911...not sure about what modulation there useing........

Ve7gwt Glenn in ladysmith.....

xjf79

Yikes

ahhh why do I have to get into this mess hahaha
even though Im not a ham :D

You were probably listening to nanaimo rcmp on 140.280 and 140.370mhz before they went digital.
sad to say they have gone P25 digital plus AES & DES Encryption. this is what the encryption part sounds like.
http://www.w2sjw.com/sounds/DES Decoded.mp3

As a few of us have said there is no way in hell your gona be able to decode the encryption part
even though you maybe able to copy the p25 signal with one of those new fangled digital scanners.
Still cant see why the encryption crap on routine dispatch freqs but its all to do with protecting the inocent and guilty bs.

there are digital systems out there that you can decode using a p25 digital scanner ie:Crest
but as you said your in ladysmith so I guess your only interested the local stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.