Vanity Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Just curious...why does an application for a vanity call take so long. I worked for NYS and I don't even we were that slow LOL

KA0KDW

When I did my vanity call back in 2017 it only took two weeks. As far as current stuff. Everything FCC related has been SLOW. I’ve talked with some commercial vendors in Missouri who say they waited almost six months for approval on some public safety licenses (which is very unusual). It’s been this way the the “pandemic” started.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Passports are also taking an excessively long time, as much as 4 1/2 - 5 months, so it's not just the FCC

n5ims

Just curious...why does an application for a vanity call take so long. I worked for NYS and I don't even we were that slow LOL

You applied for your vanity call sign on 6/28/2021 and the FCC process takes 18 days. This sounds like a long time but that's to allow an even chance for folks that may apply in different ways to have the requested call selected by the lottery. The lottery is used to select the ham that will receive the available call sign when there are multiple requests for the same call. Every application that requests that call is supposed to have an equal chance of receiving it (the reason for the 18 day waiting period). Now certain applications may have priority for getting a call (former holders, family member of a SK that held that call, etc.) so your request could be trumped, but those are rare.

You should expect to see if you received your vanity call (or which you selected) by the end of this week or early next week. If the FCC was talking "business days" not "calendar days", this may be longer. Their web site isn't clear on that point. Good luck!

Applying for a Vanity Call (arrl.org)
The FCC processing time for Vanity applications is 18 days. If you have not heard anything from FCC in 25 days, you should contact the FCC regarding your application. You can call FCC weekdays toll free at 888-225-5322 (8am to 5pm EST).

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
When I applied in 2012 it took exactly the time they said it would. You can track it on the FCC website. I kept checking. After 17 days it was still in progress. Just after midnight on the 18th day it popped up. Literally nothing at 2359 and then at 0000 it was there. Part of the wait is a statutory period during which they wait for your check to clear. Paid with a credit card? No matter you still wait.

A friend just had to renew his 12 year old daughter's passport. Even with "expedited service" it took 6 weeks.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
When I applied in 2012 it took exactly the time they said it would. You can track it on the FCC website. I kept checking. After 17 days it was still in progress. Just after midnight on the 18th day it popped up. Literally nothing at 2359 and then at 0000 it was there. Part of the wait is a statutory period during which they wait for your check to clear. Paid with a credit card? No matter you still wait.

A friend just had to renew his 12 year old daughter's passport. Even with "expedited service" it took 6 weeks.
They didn't charge me anything at all...no fees. I was kinda amazed at that

KA0KDW

They did away with the fee for vanity several years back. But of course we will be charged for license renewals, vanity, and upgrades in the future.
KA0KDW
Net Manger - Missouri DMR Net

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
This sounds like a long time but that's to allow an even chance for folks that may apply in different ways to have the requested call selected by the lottery.
The FCC has said in the past that the 18-day waiting period is to allow applications by mail time to reach the FCC. I don't know how many vanity callsign applications the FCC receives by mail. My gut feeling is that it's a pretty small number.

Since I'm an old fart, I'll interject here that it took 6 weeks for my first license to arrive by mail after I took the test. No online filing and callsign look-up system back in the dark ages. I had to drive 9 miles in raw March weather to get to my Post Office Box to get my license. ;)

I have found that the AE7Q.com website is a good tool for tracking amateur radio applications. Dean has spent a lot of time figuring out how to mine the FCC ULS. The user interface is utilitarian, but there's some interesting info on his site.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
The FCC has said in the past that the 18-day waiting period is to allow applications by mail time to reach the FCC. I don't know how many vanity callsign applications the FCC receives by mail. My gut feeling is that it's a pretty small number.

Since I'm an old fart, I'll interject here that it took 6 weeks for my first license to arrive by mail after I took the test. No online filing and callsign look-up system back in the dark ages. I had to drive 9 miles in raw March weather to get to my Post Office Box to get my license. ;)

I have found that the AE7Q.com website is a good tool for tracking amateur radio applications. Dean has spent a lot of time figuring out how to mine the FCC ULS. The user interface is utilitarian, but there's some interesting info on his site.
Don't feel bad. I'm an old fart myself....1991, and was checking the mailbox ten times a day for my license. Having worked for the State of New York, I should be used to foot dragging bureaucracy LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.