VB Fire and Vdot

Status
Not open for further replies.

bep

Premium Subscriber
I have searched the forums and cannot find any other info on this. When units go up on the interstate they report back that they talked with Vdot to see what they can see via cameras. I found that the talk group for vdot is 27760. However when listing and locked on to that group, I hear nothing, even though they stated they spoke with Vdot. Is there another talk group?

Thanks

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps they are talking to VDOT via landline? I know around Richmond area, there are not many VDOT trucks that have STARS radios installed.

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
it is on the Chesapeake 800 system tg 27760 used by Norfolk,Chesapeake, and Va beach
Smart traffic has a base station radio on the supervisors console that monitors 27760 all the time
Mike

mrdelia

Smart traffic and Motorist Assist units

As a side note. These units are dispatched on the STARS system using the Chesapeake dispatch channels. Talkgroup 49 & 51. Usually units are numbered M5XX. (M500, M501 ect.)

bep

Premium Subscriber
So if I understand this, the beach units switch to Chesapeake frequencies. That would mean the tg code 27760 set with Va. Beach will not work.

K4APR

The other thing to consider is, VDOT has started farming out the work to a company (their name escapes me!) and this company uses MotoTrbo digital, non-trunked. I know because I helped install the system. They MIGHT be using this to talk with them. I don't know that for sure, just throwing out ideas!

richardbritt

Database Admin
That talk group is is programmed on Va Beach radios but it switches to the Chesapeake trucked system and is transparent to the end users. You can also listen to 47.3 and you can monitor the VDOT truck that assist motorists. The VSP has their own M500 series units which are the VSP Motor Assistance cars you see. They are different agencies but do similar (and good) services. You can often listen to 47.3 and hear the trucks respond to assist the VSP at wrecks and such. I monitor Smart traffic, VDOT and STARS during rush hour when in traffic on the way home

73 Richard W4MCD.

bep

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all who helped. Thought I was going nuts there for a while. I do monitor the low band Vdot. Would be nice to hear the conversation with the fire units and Vdot, but I cannot receive Chesapeake. Fun to locate incidents on Trafficland, while the units are en route.

SCPD

QRT
BEP.... That id should be the new channel 12 on the Fire talkgroups. (use to be inc cmd 2).. If u want to put the four control channels for Chesapeake in your scanner and just put in that talkgoup. It is Anolog just like Fire Dispatch.

Mark

bep

Premium Subscriber
The new channel 12 is Chesapeake channel 12 not VB channel 12 correct? I cannot receive Chesapeake where I am located. Hopefully when my scantenna is installed this weekend some things will change. Of course my friend who is coming to visit does not know that that is what we will be doing. Beers (after the install) will make it all happen.

SCPD

QRT
According to the list that was posted here, and the 2 command radio's I have seen it should be channel 12 on the Va Beach Fire system. Not the old incident command 2.

Mark

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
VDOT has farmed out most Hiway maint to TME enterprises,They took over the yard along I 64 at Little creek rd. Also Smart traffic uses 47.220smplx for truck to truck coms.

mmbridges

VDOT has farmed out most Hiway maint to TME enterprises,They took over the yard along I 64 at Little creek rd. Also Smart traffic uses 47.220smplx for truck to truck coms.

Is there any VDOT traffic in the Emporia VA area? I have programmed the following STARS VDOT TG's:

DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag Description Tag
5029 13a5 D DOT 5029 Operations ("Marshall"/"Warrenton") Transportation
5039 13af D DOT SmrtTrf? Smart Traffic? (Hampton Roads) Transportation
5051 13bb D DOT 5051 Unknown Use Transportation
5060 13c4 D DOT 5060 Unknown Use ("Tac 7"; "Madison"/"Marshall") Transportation

and the following STARS DMV TG's:

DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag Description Tag
4818 12d2 D DMV Law Enf Law Enforcement Law Dispatch
4819 12d3 D DMV Law Tac Law Enforcement Tac Law Tac

So far no hits yet. What kind of activity would occur on these VDOT/DMV TG's?

Status
Not open for further replies.