VB P25 CC oddity & unscientific survey

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc4jgc

I believe the majority of posts here about not recieving the VB system (i.e., breaking up) is because I see my scanner (Pro106) losing the control channel every couple seconds. It is cycling though the control channels. I have had multisite mode set to stationary. Check all CC is NOT checked. Still cycles through the CC's at same intervals on roam mode as well as multisite off. I haven't been to Baltimore city or county (known P25 systems using LSM) since January, so I cannot compare to see if the same thing happens up there, I suspect it did happen. When I was regularly in the Baltimore area, I'd been focusing on tweaking other parameters to improve reception. I'd read somewhere that it was believed Virginia Beach uses LSM. I don't believe that this problem is on the main ORION system itself. I have Virginia Beach and ORION programmed as separate systems. For that reason, the main ORION system is NOT considered for purposes of this thread.

My current settings for Virginia Beach P25:
Attenuator- off
Audioboost- off
Digital AGC- off
Supertrack- on
Multisite- off

Survey questions:

1- Have you been experimenting with different parameters in relation to the VB P25 system?
1a- If so, What scanner do you use?
2- Have you found a "best setting"?
3- Do you use your scanner in one location or mobile?
3a- If mobile, do you find you need to change settings in different parts of town?
3b- If used in a fixed location, where are you located? Don't need to be exact, a general subdivision should be enough. Also, are you using an external antenna or not?
4- Based on my and your observations, is there an optimal setting for this system, or will it depend on one's location?

To kick things off, here are my answers:
1- Yes
1a- RS Pro 106.
2- Not sure. I had been using Multisite - Stationary until I recently confirmed that the 106 was cycling through the cc's. Changing to roam or off did not change behavior. Thinking activating attenuator may help.
3- Both.
3a- I have found this to be true in Baltimore City and County systems; haven't tried here yet.
3b- Witchduck, (Behind Independence Hospital)
4- My hypothesis will be depending on location. Let's see what happens!

digitalman

Hello- excellent post- have not tried your settings on Va Beach or ORION but i will- Do you have suggestion for Hampton? Terrible reception where i live and constant breakup and loss of signal.
Also- Curious what your settings are for DWELL/NARROW FM

bep

Premium Subscriber
Great idea!

Current settings:
Attenuator- off
Audioboost- off
Digital AGC- on
Supertrack- on
Multisite- off

1- Yes early on then accepted what I have
2- I think it is good, best? Not so sure
3- One stationary (settings above) BCT996XT mobile
3a- I guess I could but do not
3b- North end by Fort Story, external antenna see comments below
4- ones location seem to dictate the reception issue

I have started many posts concerning clear reception of this system. My biggest issue (my guess) at my location is that I am at sea level so there is always a hill or rise in elevation I must contend with. I have a scantenna on the roof (it could be higher and it will be this summer). I did find a dramatic improvement by "aiming" it differently. In my case I rotated it about 15 degrees and reception and clarity vastly improved. Is it perfect? No way but bearable.

My mobil Bearcat changes in reception quality as I go cross town. North the end is minimal reception, 60's streets is garbled, 50's and lower are crystal clear. Hilltop, Lynnhaven Pkwy clear also. I cannot comment on the setting of this unit since it is under the seat and a pain to get to.

My feeling is that north end, and Shore Drive are on the fringe of the system. When I worked for VBFD using the old analog system it was also poor in these areas.

tojohnso

Thank you

Thanks for posting this question! I've been a little frustrated lately. Either the conversation comes and goes, or it looks like it should be receiving something since it stops and the signal bars appear full signal but nothing heard. Here is my feedback:

Attenuator- off
Audioboost- off
Digital AGC- on
Supertrack- on
Multisite- off

Survey questions:

1- Not yet
1a- PRO-106
2- Apparently not
3- Both
3a- Not experimented yet
3b- Kempsville between Newtown and Witchduck. No external antenna used.
4- Looking to see if there are better settings to use.

FFEMTCURRENCE

Premium Subscriber
Attenuator- off
Audioboost- On
Digital AGC- On
Supertrack- On
Multisite- Stationary -Check All CC's

As per the survey questions, i programmed all 3 sites into the one scan-list, I was mobile with the rubber duck antenna and was down there last weekend and didnt have any problems with the reception and my scanner is a GRE-500

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Very possibly you're getting better results due to your Multisite setting of 'stationary'. That might also be a good way to listen to Orion.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Status
Not open for further replies.