VBPD Talk-groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

tn4kn

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what happened to all of the PD talk-groups? I still am recieving transmissions from the other talk-groups, just not PD.

Tom

SCPD

QRT
Which system are you asking about? I heard the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th Precinct (Analog) on my 346xt until the morning of 12/01/2011. Nothing now except school buses & Public Works, and units talking to the hospital's.

Navycop

Which system are you asking about? I heard the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th Precinct (Analog) on my 346xt until the morning of 12/01/2011. Nothing now except school buses & Public Works, and units talking to the hospital's.

Thats all I hear on my pro-95. I get the maintance staff at the convention center. Since I switched to the 100 frequancy for ems I can hear them and the Virginia Beach hospital 800 hasn't changed.

SCPD

QRT
WVEC 13 had a nice write up on their web site, and a nice piece on their 11:00 news last night about how well the new system works. 933 radio's have to be replaced at a cost of 3 million. ($3000.00 a radio).

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Users Not impressed

I can tell you alot of FD & PD guys are not happy, poor sound quality, no coverage in buildings and robotic voices

tojohnso

Funny how this story has been repeated over and over again around the country. Digital coms are NOT good for emergency communications. There have been problems with voice, especially in fire situations, and access to the system. But, alas, the FCC mandated it. Good luck everyone who has to use this crap on a daily basis.

Maybe Google can fix it before Motorola goes bankrupt over the many lawsuits that are certain to come.

SCPD

QRT
was there anything ever wrong with the analog radio's? They could've have kept the analog's and tried out the digitals with public works or something like that

kc4jgc

. But, alas, the FCC mandated it.

Only Problem was FCC and system over load on the analog system

Did I miss something here? I thought was the push for narrow banding, not necessarily digital comms.
For instance, Franklin PD is using analog narrow band technology with (I believe) voice inversion encryption.

Also, doesn't the new systems have fewer pairs than the analog 20 channel system? Seems to me it'll overload already unless only the PD & FD transitioned to digital, leaving everyone else with the analog system.

I've always questioned the viability of digital comms, especially during an emergency such as a fire at a home or business. On the legacy VSP channels I've often heard troopers "go robotic". Not good when a life could be on the line and someone is in an RF hole. Maybe one should look at Chesapeake FD to learn how they've overcome their difficulties. Only a few of their TAC channels are analog. Everything else is digital.

Last edited:

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
For now all other city services are staying on the analog system, they in effect have a 14 channel digi system and a 10 channel aanlog system

Status
Not open for further replies.