VDOF Reorg and Radio IDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
Mid 2012 VDOF announced a reorganization from a single county operation to a multi-county service area method. I have placed a map of the new service areas, taken from the VDOF 2012 State of the Forest Report, on the VDOF wiki page. Here's a link http://wiki.radioreference.com/images/1/15/VDOF_Service_Areas_Map.pdf

Does anyone already know ('cuz I haven't listened closely) if the radio IDs have changed? And how are the STARS Ops Channels utilized?

freqhopping

1&2 channels are East
3&4 Central
5&6 West

Almost no DOF comms in NOVA. I heard a little bit about a week ago on 3A or 3B. I didn't get the IDs.

SCPD

QRT
Here in Tidewater I want to say the Radio ID's I saw were in the 14xxx range, Dispatcher or Operator was a 5xxxx

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
Channel IDs are known (on the wiki page) as far as West, Central, East. I would like to know which service area uses which talkgroup. As far as 'Radio ID' I mean that radio call used by certain personnel, again- as indicated on the wiki page.) Such as "Warrenton 1",,, still referred to as "Warrenton 1" or something else?

SCPD

QRT
Today on Ops 1 they're pretty active, hearing the following: Mattaponi 1,Mattaponi 3, Mattaponi 5, Waverly 1, Waverly 2, Henrico 50

svfire1

As far as the Shenandoah Work Area (Which covers Frederick, Clarke, Warren, Shenandoah, Page & Rockingham) The Forester that works Frederick Co Uses Forest Warden 2 when communicating with Frederick Dispatch, and uses Shenandoah 5 when talking to VDOF on STARS. He used to be Frederick 2.

We had a fire here in Frederick Co yesterday and I heard NOVA 9 talking to Shenandoah 5 about bringing a crew from NOVA up to help.

W4UVV

Better map resolution?

Mid 2012 VDOF announced a reorganization from a single county operation to a multi-county service area method. I have placed a map of the new service areas, taken from the VDOF 2012 State of the Forest Report, on the VDOF wiki page. Here's a link http://wiki.radioreference.com/images/1/15/VDOF_Service_Areas_Map.pdf

Does anyone already know ('cuz I haven't listened closely) if the radio IDs have changed? And how are the STARS Ops Channels utilized?

The posted map's resolution appears to have been reduced slightly possibly caused by enlarging the original pdf graphic before posting. I have tried several different ways (i.e., wikileak, google, RR searches) to view the 2012 VDOF report to view the original pdf map for possible better resolution. But so far I am receiving bad links to the report even on the VDOF website. Do you have a saved copy of the report/map with better resolution you can repost or is the posted map's resolution is as it gets? Tnx.

John
W4UVV.

wfrd140

Premium Subscriber
DOF Live Audio?

While the topic of VDOF is active, anyone know of a Live Audio feed that covers the DOF talkgroups on Stars? No digital scanner yet and sure have missed the weekends traffic.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
The posted map's resolution appears to have been reduced slightly possibly caused by enlarging the original pdf graphic before posting. I have tried several different ways (i.e., wikileak, google, RR searches) to view the 2012 VDOF report to view the original pdf map for possible better resolution. But so far I am receiving bad links to the report even on the VDOF website. Do you have a saved copy of the report/map with better resolution you can repost or is the posted map's resolution is as it gets? Tnx.

John
W4UVV.

Tonight or tomorrow I'll PM the document to you. Note: I had to upgrade my Adobe Reader in order to view the map correctly. And it does look better in it's original size. I probably should have left it like I found it. :lol:

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber

John
W4UVV.

Here's the link to the report, map in page 20 http://www.dof.virginia.gov/print/aboutus/SOF-2012.pdf
If this doesn't work for you send me an email at rkbuxton@comcast.net and I'll attach the PDF back to you in an email.

W4UVV

Good link...greyed graphic...bad Adobe

Here's the link to the report, map in page 20 http://www.dof.virginia.gov/print/aboutus/SOF-2012.pdf
If this doesn't work for you send me an email at rkbuxton@comcast.net and I'll attach the PDF back to you in an email.

The link was good but now the report's map graphic as well as a couple of jpegs have grey color overlays. As you mentioned I also suspect the culprit is Adobe....again. Adobe cannot leave one version alone for more than a year. For some reason Adobe feels compelled to change something to be on the cutting edge of the latest greatest something. Never mind that fact that some of their changes adversely impact older computer hardware/software configurations. I have several older desktops/laptops which worked fine using Adobe 9. However, I foolishly forgot and let Adobe to do automatic updates. Trying to use Adobe 11 with those older computers did not work. I had a frustrating time trying to locate a copy of Adobe 9. I could not do it from the internet. Adobe will try to install the latest version. I finally found a copy on one of my older computers and reinstalled it on all of them. Now my older computers using Adobe 9 work fine with PDF files.

Who knows why the grey overlays on some of the 2012 VDOF report jpgs and map graphic other than probably being an Adobe issue. My main desktop has been working fine with PDF files using Adobe 11. I don't care to waste trying troubleshooting. I'll send you an email. Tnx.

John
W4UVV

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
I've uploaded to the VDOF Wiki page a better quality (original size) graphic of the VDOF Service Areas Map in PDF and JPG format.

The link was good but now the report's map graphic as well as a couple of jpegs have grey color overlays. As you mentioned I also suspect the culprit is Adobe....again. Adobe cannot leave one version alone for more than a year. For some reason Adobe feels compelled to change something to be on the cutting edge of the latest greatest something. Never mind that fact that some of their changes adversely impact older computer hardware/software configurations. I have several older desktops/laptops which worked fine using Adobe 9. However, I foolishly forgot and let Adobe to do automatic updates. Trying to use Adobe 11 with those older computers did not work. I had a frustrating time trying to locate a copy of Adobe 9. I could not do it from the internet. Adobe will try to install the latest version. I finally found a copy on one of my older computers and reinstalled it on all of them. Now my older computers using Adobe 9 work fine with PDF files.

Who knows why the grey overlays on some of the 2012 VDOF report jpgs and map graphic other than probably being an Adobe issue. My main desktop has been working fine with PDF files using Adobe 11. I don't care to waste trying troubleshooting. I'll send you an email. Tnx.

John
W4UVV

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
VDOF TGIDs

A few STARS IDs in the Wiki Channel List,,,,
Z09 DOF_CO_SU -- Radio and B&G
Z09 DOF_MGMT -- Agency Management
Z09 MCOMMAND1 -- Contingency Operations, Command Bus

Anyone know the STARS TGID #s (assuming not since they're not
in the RR database.) And what does the TG name DOF_CO_SU
and B&G indicate?