VE6JE previously near Bragg Creek

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Previously, there was a thread about repeaters in Redwood Meadows including repeaters listed to Joop Cousteau using numerous call signs, including VE6JE.
An article in the Calgary Sun today says he as passed away in an American jail.

Mars_P25

Paid RR Supporter
Banned
I just did some reading about the gentleman. Did you know he was a "most wanted fugitive", and his only crime was being a deadbeat dad and avoiding paying child support for 20 years? Don't get me wrong here...deadbeat dads are goofs. But "most wanted" status should be reserved for violent criminals. The guy was just a dishonorable bum.

Joop was a cool name. He should've picked something a little less unique. John Smith would've kept him much more concealed.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I just did some reading about the gentleman. Did you know he was a "most wanted fugitive", and his only crime was being a deadbeat dad and avoiding paying child support for 20 years? Don't get me wrong here...deadbeat dads are goofs. But "most wanted" status should be reserved for violent criminals. The guy was just a dishonorable bum.

Joop was a cool name. He should've picked something a little less unique. John Smith would've kept him much more concealed.

I've got no comment about his most wanted status, but I did have some involvement with him myself. He approached me once or twice about getting a ham repeater up in Bragg Creek, and I gave him a few ideas for people to talk to about good tower locations (the towers that are up in our area are all full). He never seemed to be able to come through, oddly enough, supposedly getting the runaround from people I put him in touch with (and I apologize to those people in hindsight). He said he put the repeater up on top of a two-story house/business in Bragg Creek, but I was never able to hit it. This was supposedly one of two YSF repeaters he had just lying around needing a home. He also said, as part of this "finding a place to put a tower" deal, he had either a 100' or 200' tower in pieces somewhere (I don't remember where, I think it was in another town) just waiting to be put up once he found a place.

Also talked to me in my fire department capacity about that tower and/or putting it at Redwood Meadows. The tricky part there is Redwood Meadows is in lease negotiations with the Tsuut'ina right now and more or less nothing can be built until the lease agreements are signed. So that (a taller tower for the FD, on which his ham gear would live as a tenant) never materialized. Nor did the free/cheap Android tablets he promised he could outfit all my trucks with, which he would get as a Google VP (or former VP).

Status
Not open for further replies.