Vehicle antenna needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrVelvet

I am looking for a vehicle mounted antenna for my PRO97. I listen to 150's and 800's mainly and would like to get as much distance as possible.

I have an 05 F150 and can't really add anything to the roof as getting into the garage would be impossible if I did.

I read through most of the threads in here and couldn't find a definitive answer on what the best way to go would be. Any help would be much appreciated as I'm pretty much a scanner noob.

Thanks.

gr8tff

Premium Subscriber
This one works real well. Very Happy with it.

Manufacturer PCTEL Maxrad
MAXSCAN1000
Product Description VHF,UHF 800 Scanner Ant.
TESSCO Part No. 81033

Frequency (MHz)/ Color 150-840
Product Narrative Unity gain scanner receive antenna. For VHF, UHF and 800 MHz. Commercial grade receive only antenna for the off-duty public safety professional.
Gain (dB) Unity
Maximum Power (Watts) N/A
Whip Length (In.) 15"
Whip Material Stainless steel
Mount Type Order separately from Motorola style mounts
Cable Length N/A
Cable Type N/A
Connector N/A
Warranty 2 Years
Qty/Uom 1 EACH
Price
List $36.50

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Last edited:

af5rn

I don't think your question is so much what to buy as it is where to mount it. When you rule out the roof on a pickup, you leave yourself with few decent options. A hood groove L-bracket is probably the best way to go, unless you have a side-opening tool box you can drill a hole in the top of.

Both of the above antennae are about the same, performance and size wise. Both are considered top of the line, and you can't go wrong with either of them on the bands you're interested in. The Maxrad gets a little better reviews overall. You will find complaints of Larsens not being very sturdy. You will find no such complaints on Maxrads. The Maxrad is available at ScannerMaster.

swstow

Premium Subscriber
i own a 01 f150 and use a
inside glass suction cup for my pro2096
a glass mount mulit band for my gre400
both work well and wouldnt keep you out of the garage
i also have a 1/4 wave lip mount antinex ( sp ) on the right side of the hood next to am/fm ant
this would work the best in my opinion

MrVelvet

I don't think your question is so much what to buy as it is where to mount it. When you rule out the roof on a pickup, you leave yourself with few decent options. A hood groove L-bracket is probably the best way to go, unless you have a side-opening tool box you can drill a hole in the top of.

Both of the above antennae are about the same, performance and size wise. Both are considered top of the line, and you can't go wrong with either of them on the bands you're interested in. The Maxrad gets a little better reviews overall. You will find complaints of Larsens not being very sturdy. You will find no such complaints on Maxrads. The Maxrad is available at ScannerMaster.
Thanks for the great info. My first choice would be to mount the antenna on the hood like you mention nxt to the stock radio antenna, (is there any concern over this location?).

I have a call into a local supplier of Maxrad and will see what their price is like. I was unable to find the Maxrad on scannermaster.com.

af5rn

ScannerMaster.com lists the Maxrad as a Comtelco. You'll sometimes see them listed as "PC Tel" too. Not really sure what's up with their identity crisis. I've bought antennas in the last month with each name on it, but they still say MAXRAD on the base of the antenna itself. Anyhow...

http://www.scannermaster.com/Comtelco_All_Band_Low_Prof_Antenna_p/07-540719.htm

The links that Rod gave you are cheaper. I bought three BMAXSCAN100's off a guy at eBay for like $15 each a couple months ago, so it pays to shop around. Note that the second link Rod gave you is for the MAXSCAN, not the BMAXSCAN. The only difference is the B stands for all BLACK. Not really a big deal unless you're going for stealth or trying to match a vehicle.

R&L and Scannermaster are both trusted, good people to deal with and stand behind their products and service. Sometimes it's worth it to go with that rather than take your chances on eBay to save only five bucks or less.

Good luck!

MrVelvet

Thanks for everything - I ordered a black maxscan1000 and a fender mount from a local(ish) dealer and hopefully it won't be too long.

I can't wait.

MrVelvet

Well, after bailing on my first supplier I found someone else who got a MAXSCAN1000 to me in 2 days.

Now comes the mounting. I have a fender mounting bracket for my 05 F150, but I just want to make sure I pick the right spot. Is it better on one side of the engine bay or the other? Can I mount it by my radio antenna? Any other insight?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.