• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vehicular adapter for XTS 2500?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emanuel32804

Hi folks,

I was looking recently at those old NTN8560F vehicular adapters, or the newer NTN8560G. Very cheap to find on ebay and would be pretty nice for my 5000. However, I have some 2500s and I was wondering if anybody has every tried using one with the vehicular adapter. I assume the size difference would pose an issue, but maybe you can put something under the radio to make it sit up enough? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
E

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
It would not work due to the HWD size difference, as you noted. Putting something under the radio may raise it too high for the power connectors to touch the battery. Regarding the height difference, there is the NTN8327B RF connector that goes onto the radio antenna port and the mating RF receptacle on the XTVA and the same bracket that holds the radio in place, as well as the pinout pad to control it using the HHCH. You would need to make a shim to increase the width, depth and height difference...and it would need to pass the power connections as well.

*** NOTE: If you plan on purchasing one for your XTS5000, you will also need the NTN8327B adapter in order to pass RF from the radio to the XTVA and subsequently to the XTVA external antenna port. This may not be included with an XTVA you will find on eBay, but they can be found on eBay. This part also uses a special wrench, but you might be able to use some really narrow pliers. Maybe.

I have the NTN8560 F and G versions. Other than the stickers on the back they look/work the same to me. I use an XTS5k VHF in one and UHF in the other. I know a XTS3k will fit/work in there as well. I have the open face XTVA which allows for access to the keypad. I use them in the shack with a diplexer. I do not have the amplifiers, but they work fine sharing an outdoor Diamond X50 antenna. I guess I could use some low power dualband amplifier after the diplexer if I really needed some juice.

emanuel32804

I was already aware about the adapter and wrench needed for that, but I appreciate the note. Incidentally, my xts5k came with the adapter already installed and I never removed it. I have often wondered if this port being exposed makes any difference RF-wise.

I looked at the two radios more closely and I've now noticed that if the pinout pads are lined up, the antennas are not quite in the same place. So I think there would be no way to make this work unfortunately, even if I were to shim it. Is the best option just to go SMA out then?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
If not using that adapter with an XTVA, or mic cable that mates and extends the antenna port, I would remove it. I have not tested what difference it would make with or without.

Yes, an SMA pigtail that will seat deep enough into the antenna well.

emanuel32804

Do you have any model numbers for mics that have the antenna port? I'm wondering if I can cut the head off and crimp a new end on so that I can use the adapter on the radio and quick disconnect.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
NMN6250A is a mic I have with that connector. There may be others.

I understand the quick disconnect convenience from the side of the radio, but why cut the head off and crimp anything when you could simply connect a pigtail to the antenna connector on the mic? Your pigtail could have a BNC on one end if you needed that to quick disconnect as well.

If I did not have an XTL5000 in the vehicle, I would use an XTS5000 with the XTVA and make it easy on myself. I presume the slightly smaller XTS2500 size is keeping you loyal to it.

emanuel32804

I had completely forgotten that the antenna unscrews from the head. What a great idea you came up with here.

I am stuck on the 2500 because that's all I got in UHF. I might upgrade one day though. My 5000 is a 800mhz model, so I don't need stronger reception at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.