Vent pipe grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

wabelita

Since the vent pipe is cast iron, does the mast need to be grounded via a ground wire? The vent pipe attaches to the cast sewer pipes.

I assume I will still need a grounding block for the coax. Radio Shack sell a "2.4GHz Single Grounding Block" Anyone know what the 2.4 GHz is refering to? Is there any noticeable signal loss with using one?

Thanks.

prcguy

I believe cast iron sewer pipes have a wax seal or grease impregnated rope seal at various points and may not be grounded above soil. I have also seen vent pipes with a rubber hose section in line, which would also cause problems.
prcguy

kf4lne

Cast iron pipes are never a good ground. They use various forms of non-conductive seals and many times they have had PVC parts or rubber couplers inserted to replace damaged cast iron parts. Run a ground wire.

wilbilt

wabelita said:
Radio Shack sell a "2.4GHz Single Grounding Block" Anyone know what the 2.4 GHz is refering to? Is there any noticeable signal loss with using one?

The 2.4GHz refers to the frequency the device is rated for. A block such as that would be commonly used in satellite TV installs, as the digital signal from the dish to the receiver is typically in that frequency range. It should be more than adequate for analog signals at lower frequencies if it is rated 2.4GHz.

kf4lne

A Good source of scanner related hardware such as grounding blocks, antenna mounts and coax - someone in your neighborhood who ditched the dish for cable. I have been given dishes, coax and grounding hardware just to get them off the house. I usually turn around and mod the dish for wifi use and reuse the dish mounts, coax and ground blocks for scanner and broadcast RX antennas. The dish mounts also make great mounts for MURS antenna mounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.