Ventura County Railroads . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCIAD

This might have been covered in some previous post, and I did check thru the database, so please no flames.

I am seeing only one road channel (160.3200) for UPRR through Ventura County, but nothing is mentioned of Amtrak or MEtrolink, which both have a heavy presence throughout the day passing through or stopping in my County. What am I missing here, as I have a hard time believing all of that traffic [from 3 different Companies] being coordinated on one channel by somebody in another state.

Any help appreciated . . .

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
I am seeing only one road channel (160.3200) for UPRR through Ventura County, but nothing is mentioned of Amtrak or MEtrolink, which both have a heavy presence throughout the day passing through or stopping in my County. What am I missing here, as I have a hard time believing all of that traffic [from 3 different Companies] being coordinated on one channel by somebody in another state.
As far as I know, Mike, though I haven't been there to listen in about eight months, Metrolink handles the dispatching on the line from Taylor Yard in L.A. to "Los Posas" in Moorpark, on 160.545. From Moorpark to San Luis Obispo, it's Union Pacific's on 161.55 (used to be on 160.32, IIRC).

Since it's essentially a single-track railroad all the way through, there can be only one dispatcher in charge of the train movements in a given segment.

I'm not up-to-speed on what they might use locally for switching, nor do I know if they use the old PBX channels of 160.89 and 160.95 much anymore. Those were almost never used by train crews anyway, but by trackworkers and the bosses, most of whom seem to use cellphones these days.

Last edited:

DPD1

Try 161.430 for the guys switching on the Leesdale. That's what they use at Gemco and probably also when they come up there. There's also the Ventura Co. shortline. That still runs, right? I think they use 160.455, 161.355. But yes, only one road channel per section for all three operators. I don't think 160.32 gets used up there anymore though.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com
Makers of the "TrainTenna" Rail Radio Band Antenna

karldotcom

Oh, there is a lot of rail activity in Ventura County. You have two main road frequencies passing through your county, which can be described below.

160.545 Metrolink Ventura Subdivision (CP Taylor in Los Angeles to CP Las Posas (Las Posas Rd))
160.740 Union Pacific Santa Barbara Subdivision (CP Las Posas to CP Elwood (3 miles west of Goleta)) Dispatcher 250 = San Berdardino, Dispatcher 50 = Omaha (UP added the "2" to indicate the Socal Dispatching Center)
North of Elwood is dispatched by Omaha Dispatcher 73 on 161.550

Metrolink is dispatched from their dispatching center in Pomona, and Union Pacific Dispatches from their joint Southern California Dispatching Center in San Bernardino, CA.

Metrolink also dispatches the territory at the Montalvo Wye using their 160.545 frequency...this is where they store the trains up in Montalvo.

The Fillmore and Western frequency is 160.500, and covers the Santa Paula branch line from Bristol Avenue to Piru. While you may think of this as a tourist line, there are occasional freight moves from Oxnard to Fillmore that the UP Oxnard local handles...one or two cars only, and pretty infrequent. And at 10 mph at that.

and finally, the Ventura County Railway, operates south of the UP Oxnard Yard to Port Hueneme. You will see military moves and a lot of cars moving in and out of the Port of Hueneme (BMW, Mazda) They operate on 161.355.

Some other frequencies you might want:
160.455 Onboard Amtrak Frequency
160.950 UP PBX repeater (although this is being used less and less)

Last edited:

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
160.545 Metrolink Ventura Subdivision (CP Taylor in Los Angeles to CP Las Posas (Las Posas Rd))
160.740 Union Pacific Santa Barbara Subdivision (CP Las Posas to CP Elwood (3 miles west of Goleta)) North of Elwood is dispatched by Omaha Dispatcher 73 on 161.550
So 161.55 doesn't kick in until north (railroad "west") of Elwood - aka Ellwood - , Karl? Thanks for that.

Last edited:

MCIAD

OK - just to make sure I am reading all this correctly, I need to have two frequencies dedicated to catch railroad traffic generated by the Engineers calling thier dispatchers with - whatever? 160.545 and 160.740?

Perhaps to explain what I am looking for will help narrow this down some. Recently (as in the last year or so) we have had a series of Train vs Car or Train vs Pedestian calls where we respond resourses and then spend a lot of time (comparatively) on the phone with UPRR to advised them. In just about every single instance, the UPRR Comm. Center (wherever it is) has already been told by train personnel on board the train in question (makes sense) or we needed to call somebody else (MetroLink). My purpose in searching this info out is to program it into my BK radio that sits on my console, and should a train emergency occur (of any sort) be able to hear what they are being told and who is telling them.

Just thought it might cut down some of the time it takes to manage an incident like this if we know some of the calls we have to make are unneccessary.

BTW - are there PL/CTCSS codes and/or input frequencies if repeated?

Thanks for all the info so far - it truly helps . . .

Last edited:

Progline

Premium Subscriber
Karl, they dropped that whole 160.74 thing a while ago....back to AAR96/96 (161.55)west of Moorpark.

Mike,
It's essentially this easy:
Moorpark east to L.A. county line - 160.545 MHz. This is dispatched by Metrolink
West Moorpark (adjoins where the SCE Moorpark substation is) all the way to the Santa Barbara County Line - 161.55. This is dispatched by the Union Pacific Dispatch Center.

The Fillmore & Western and Ventura County Railways are as shown above.

HTH,
Rob

karldotcom

Explains why I havent heard anything.

>>>Karl, they dropped that whole 160.74 thing a while ago....

Yes, it is one continuous rail line, but owned by two entities. In the past, Southern Pacific sold its lines from Downtown LA to Palmdale and Burbank Jct to CP Las Posas (Moorpark). This was done a) because the counties wanted it to start up Metrolink, b) SP didnt have the money or inclination to upgrade the lines anyway, and c) there wasnt as much freight traffic on the Coast Line or Saugus Line as there is now.

By selling the line, the railroad was able to retain trackage rights but no longer had the expense of maintaining them, and no longer had to pay property tax on them. Since Union Pacific bought Southern Pacific, they inherited all the tracks and agreements, etc.

So, that is why Metrolink dispatches the train to Moorpark east. and Union Pacific dispatches the line from Moorpark west. (Each public crossing also has the railroad owners name, and emergency phone number labled on a silver box)

I believe LA County Fire has Metrolink frequencies programmed into their VHF portables. You would program it 160.545/160.545 with no PL....the engineers/conductors arent repeated, so you may only hear the dispatcher side of the conversation without an antenna on the roof of the comm center.

Status
Not open for further replies.