Verdugo Fire Off The Air???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

eccradiotec

Can Someone Tell Me If Verdugo Fire Has Gone To Digital Or Changed There Frequencies. I Can No Longer Monitor Any Of The Channels From Riverside.

If They Infact Have Gone To Digital Please Let Me Know How To Set Up The Scanner And What Frequencies And Digital Set Up Info...

Thanks,

Chris

landonjensen

They have gone to the ICIS Digital system since November.. You can find out more here:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2856

Red 1-9 are currently digital, along with Red 15 and the Monrovia Admin Ch.
Red 10-12 and Red 16 are analog UHF, and are used. Red 12 (The old Red 8 freq) is used by Monrovia Fire as their tac channels instead of using a ICIS talkgroup as they have very poor signal in Monrovia as far as the Tactical Talkgroups.

You can also listen on Green 7, which is simulcast for Sierra Madre Vol.

Any questions feel free to ask!

icis_monitor

I hear all units fine. how is it different from when they are on the dispatch channel from when they are on a fire tactical channel when it is all on the one same frequency. and i think that green7 is used for anyone that can hear it in range of the radio even not sierra madre firemen.

landonjensen said:
They have gone to the ICIS Digital system since November.. You can find out more here:

Red 10-12 and Red 16 are analog UHF, and are used. Red 12 (The old Red 8 freq) is used by Monrovia Fire as their tac channels instead of using a ICIS talkgroup as they have very poor signal in Monrovia as far as the Tactical Talkgroups.

landonjensen

Huh? lol
:confused::lol::roll:

icis_monitor said:
I hear all units fine. how is it different from when they are on the dispatch channel from when they are on a fire tactical channel when it is all on the one same frequency. and i think that green7 is used for anyone that can hear it in range of the radio even not sierra madre firemen.

icis_monitor

What I mean to say is that if the dispatch talkgroups work fine how can the tactical talkgroups sound any different? I watch the scanner closely, and wether they are on fire admin or red 1 they are on the same channel some of the times. how can one work worst than the other?

landonjensen said:
Huh? lol
:confused::lol::roll:

karldotcom

Well, theoretically they should all sound the same. But Burbank PD stopped using one talk group because they didnt get reliable comms from it. The officers I overheard seemed sure it was a frequency problem....but the talkgroup was most used at the Starlight Bowl in the hills.....so I think it was just a problem with the location up there.

Some of the Eastern-most Verdugo cities are having problems with ICIS.....they will get the dispatch fine because their stations or rigs have good roof mounted antennas, but once on the ground, the tactical traffic will be degraded on their handhelds... so they have been using non-ICIS direct channels.

I have read that they are hoping that once Pasadena (PD and Public Works) installs their ICIS towers and stuff, that the problem may clear up. (Pasadena Fire also has problems inside some buildings with their handhelds also)

icis_monitor

When is Pasadena going to install their ICIS?

karldotcom said:
Well, theoretically they should all sound the same. But Burbank PD stopped using one talk group because they didnt get reliable comms from it. The officers I overheard seemed sure it was a frequency problem....but the talkgroup was most used at the Starlight Bowl in the hills.....so I think it was just a problem with the location up there.

Some of the Eastern-most Verdugo cities are having problems with ICIS.....they will get the dispatch fine because their stations or rigs have good roof mounted antennas, but once on the ground, the tactical traffic will be degraded on their handhelds... so they have been using non-ICIS direct channels.

I have read that they are hoping that once Pasadena (PD and Public Works) installs their ICIS towers and stuff, that the problem may clear up. (Pasadena Fire also has problems inside some buildings with their handhelds also)

karldotcom

I believe July 1 begins their fiscal year.

Interagency Communications Interoperability System (ICIS) $5,532,560

DESCRIPTION: This project will provide for the creation of an Interagency Communications
Interoperability System (ICIS). The ICIS is a digital radio system that allows inter-city and
interagency radio communication between members of the Verdugo Fire System, including
Burbank, Glendale, Montebello, Pomona, Beverly Hills and Culver City, plus non-member cities
and agencies who use the system such as San Marino, San Fernando, Glendale College, American
Red Cross, and others. The Verdugo Fire System, which migrated to ICIS in November 2007, is the
regional fire communications and dispatch center for Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena, Arcadia,
Monrovia, San Marino, South Pasadena, San Gabriel, Sierra Madre, Monterey Park, and Alhambra.
The Fire Department replaced their radio equipment with ICIS compatible radios in 2006. This
project provides for the replacement of the Water and Power and Public Works Departments' radio
systems, upgrading the Police Department radio system, as well as replacement of all other citywide
radios used in daily operations. The replacement of the infrastructure will join the Police
Department’s radio frequencies to the ICIS, which will:
• Replace vendor unsupported and manufacturer retired equipment;
• Provide intra-city and inter-city communications;
• Add additional capacity and coverage for City radio users;
• Meet the Federal Communications Commission’s new requirements; and
• Allow the City to retain its radio frequencies while sharing frequencies among other cities.
The enhanced communication capabilities that ICIS provides will allow the City to have a single
tactical frequency for communications in daily operations and emergencies, in addition to enabling
regional communication with other cities and support agencies.
JUSTIFICATION: Key components of the City’s radio infrastructure are no longer supported or
have passed the end of their anticipated life cycle. The City has continuously experienced critical
system failures due to limited availability of parts and technical support. The radio system supports
the City’s day-to-day operations in the fields of public safety through the Police and Fire
Departments, public service through the Public Works, Public Health, and Transportation
Departments, and delivery of critical services to citizens through the Water and Power Department.
The reliability of the radio system is of paramount importance to the safety and well being of the
citizens, especially in the event of a major disaster.
SCHEDULE: Replacement of equipment will commence in FY 2009. Project is anticipated to be
completed by the end of FY 2009.

RELATIONSHIP TO THE GENERAL PLAN: This project is consistent with the Public
Facilities Element Objective 2 by helping to provide a high level of service and greater work
productivity by using available technology. The project is also consistent with the Safety Element
Goal D-1 by supporting planning for emergency response and recovery from natural and urban
disasters especially from earthquake and terrorist threats.
SPECIAL CONSIDERATION: The ICIS project is also shown in the Electric System (Project
3188) and the Water System (Project 1065) Sections as "Radio Equipment Replacement".
HISTORY: This project was created and fully funded in FY 2009.

landonjensen

How about Arcadia or Monrovia PD? I know they have XTS's for digital systems, but ones still on VHF and ones still on UHF..

karldotcom

They would probably have to be a subscriber agency to Glendale or Pasadena...like San Marino.....until the County figures out what it is doing.

icis_monitor

The County is still on track. i read the brochure and it says that they are well into it. they are building a system that is going to provide the ICIS to the whole county. i heard from an officer friend that everyone will be geting new radios to work on the new radio system for the ability to be able to talk to everyone else without everyone having too many diferent radios.

karldotcom said:
They would probably have to be a subscriber agency to Glendale or Pasadena...like San Marino.....until the County figures out what it is doing.

kenjicam

LA RICS hasn't even figured out which type of system it will be using (P25, Open Sky, Tetra). So I don't think any subscriber units are being purchased at this time for this reason.
It takes a lot of time and money to build a system this ambitious the right way. At this time they are just starting to talk about what specifications they want for the LA RICS. It will most likely be a P25 system, but you never know what crazy thing may be sold to them be the lowest bidder!
I don't think we'll be seeing LA RICS come on line any time soon. I personally think it won't be for at leat another 5 to 10 years before they get the thing fully up and running at the rate the city/county government moves. You haver to remember that everyone wants control over this project.
To may knowledge Pasadena is the only city moving forward with ICIS. Many other agencies/cities have talk about joining, but many agencies are waiting to see what will happen with LA RICS. I think this is a big mistake, but the brochure is nice and has a lot of pretty color pictures, and big promises!
Kenji Luster

DrDenny1

Are these off of Oat Mtn?

DrDenny1

Cool Thanks, so I live SCV should/will I be able to track Glendale/Burbank up in SCV? I tried programming the ICIS last night, I have never done it. As I was passing Glendale on the 210 this morning my display started showing "ID Scan" where as last night and this morning "City of Glendale" was just a quick blip on my screen. But I did not pick up any comm. But my 1st attempt at trunking for San Diego Co. worked great. :)

icis_monitor

So, do you think I can pick up Burbank and Glendale in Santa Clarita if I program the Oat Mountian stuff?

Based on what i know about the ICIS mountaintop equipment you would be able to hear burbank and glendale if they have someone up in santa clarita on their radio on the channel that you want to hear.

RobertW1

Going along with "ICIS Monitor", from what I understand, Oat Mountain does not just repeat all traffic from the Glendale or Burbank ICIS system. A unit or handheld radio from one of those departments needs to be "assoicated" or in close proximity to Oat Mountain's Cell, at which point it opens up the ICIS System and traffic can be heard.

Since past posts have suggested that the ICIS Cell antenna off Oat is pointed toward Santa Clarita and NOT the valley, I'm assuming a Glendale or Burbank unit would have to be in Santa Clarita or there abouts to open the Cell to ICIS traffic. Of course there are Glendale and Burbank officers that live in Santa Clarita and Valencia. Do they take their radios home? Do they take their motorcycles home? Someone else will have to answer that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.