Vermilion, OH police frequency is not working. At least for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtymac

Greetings. This is my first post so im not sure if I am placing it in the correct place.

I had (and either lost or misplaced) a Radio Shack Pro 82 scanner. I was not ready to shell out a minimum of $400 for a new digital scanner so I recently purchased a Uniden BC75XLT at Walmart for $78 Plus a Diamond RH77CA antenna from Amazon For $26. The SR30C is an upgrade to the BC75XLT but it costs 40-50 dollars more and the only real difference that I could see was that it offers 500 channels as opposed to 300. I need like 20 or 30.

I cannot receive my local police department. All I get is static. Ohio>Erie County>Vermilion Police. The advertised freq is 155.8875.

Does anyone know if this frequency is still accurate or if there has been some sort of encoding applied?

Thank you.

kf8yk

They added digital emissions to their license (WPYR894) 3 months ago, so quite possible they transitioned to digital.

The emission designators they added are typically indicative of NXDN. You would need to upgrade to a digital capable scanner, assuming that they haven't encrypted as well. You may want to wait until someone else in the area can confirm the digital mode & encrypted status before investing in a new scanner.

dirtymac

Thanks for the response. I think that you are correct. All I get is a squelch break on the Vermilion Police frequency.

firemedic19

Premium Subscriber
I will check with my NXDN radio this weekend and let you know what I find. They've been using NXDN to communicate with LifeCare since LifeCare took over the EMS contract for the city, so I can only assume they switched to NXDN.

firemedic19

Premium Subscriber
Greetings. This is my first post so im not sure if I am placing it in the correct place.

I had (and either lost or misplaced) a Radio Shack Pro 82 scanner. I was not ready to shell out a minimum of $400 for a new digital scanner so I recently purchased a Uniden BC75XLT at Walmart for $78 Plus a Diamond RH77CA antenna from Amazon For $26. The SR30C is an upgrade to the BC75XLT but it costs 40-50 dollars more and the only real difference that I could see was that it offers 500 channels as opposed to 300. I need like 20 or 30.

I cannot receive my local police department. All I get is static. Ohio>Erie County>Vermilion Police. The advertised freq is 155.8875.

Does anyone know if this frequency is still accurate or if there has been some sort of encoding applied?

Thank you.

Just confirmed that they are in fact using NXDN. Same frequency, now using 5RAN encode/decode. So you'll need to upgrade your scanner if you'd like to listen to them. Or do what I do and use a Kenwood NX-200 portable radio, I've got one for sale if you're interested and I also live in Vermilion. It's set up as a scanner and does not transmit.

Niveus73

That clears it up for me. I have a BC75XLT and on Vermilion Police dispatch all I get is a computer sound when they transmit. Ex. last night there was an apartment fire here in Vermilion and I know the police were on scene as well and I heard a lot of the computer sounds coming from the Police frequency.

cal50

I am in Amherst and I do not hear much traffic on my TRX-1 from Amherst or Vermilion since you mention it.

firemedic19

Premium Subscriber
I am in Amherst and I do not hear much traffic on my TRX-1 from Amherst or Vermilion since you mention it.
I know Amherst PD is still P25 as of this morning, I was listening to them earlier today.

Can confirm as of two hours ago Amherst is still P25 and Vermilion is still using NXDN.

cal50

Re-loaded my SD card and picking up some traffic.

Does EZ scan programming software import or update any system changes if / when they happen ?

cal50

Discovered my antenna (Remtronix) is damaged. I can rotate it and the signal cuts in and out.
Just ordered a Diamond RH77CA so I should be back in business 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.