Vermont State Police To Dispatch Digitally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEK1213

Lyndonville Police Department is replacing their 17 year old radios with digital units. They are dispatched by VSP St. Johnsbury. The police chief said VSP has switched to digital services (2019 according to a previous release), but VSP has been dispatching in the clear. Has anyone hear or read anything to confirm?

ecps92

Nothing reported over at SNE for a P25 move, some sites using DPL tho

Was this from a news story [Link?] are a personal conversation ?

Lyndonville Police Department is replacing their 17 year old radios with digital units. They are dispatched by VSP St. Johnsbury. The police chief said VSP has switched to digital services (2019 according to a previous release), but VSP has been dispatching in the clear. Has anyone hear or read anything to confirm?

NEK1213

I've monitored them for years and no P25 activity. Caledonia and Orleans County sheriff departments are P25. St Jay VSP is in Caledonia and VSP Derby in Orleans county's.

KB1VLA

They could be buying P25 radios but using them in analog mode. I would think that there would be very few (if any) public safety-grade radios on the market today that aren't P25 capable.

12dbsinad

It's amazing how much BS a news article can produce. "So the VSP switched to digital and we don't have digital... at times it's hard for them to hear us but we can hear them fine. Sometimes it's a little agitating when you're tyring to call them and they're not hearing you".

Ummm... say that again? The VSP is stupid plain vanilla analog... but stupid as it sounds, it works.

ecps92

Yes but the article clearly indicates [B.S. as they are still Analog] that VTSP has a digital service but they can't hear us...

Heck, yes time to get new radios into service, but budget for it, don't spew B.S. about your Dispatch being Digital when they are analog.
Maybe they have plans to move to P25 but alas, no one has hear them in P25 :)
They could be buying P25 radios but using them in analog mode. I would think that there would be very few (if any) public safety-grade radios on the market today that aren't P25 capable.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Yes but the article clearly indicates [B.S. as they are still Analog] that VTSP has a digital service but they can't hear us...

Heck, yes time to get new radios into service, but budget for it, don't spew B.S. about your Dispatch being Digital when they are analog.
Maybe they have plans to move to P25 but alas, no one has hear them in P25 :)

Don't overlook the fact that many (most) police officers and elected officials, and about 99% of journalists don't know anything about radios except "turn it on and push this big button to talk." It's entirely possible that they're conflating two or more different things.

The village population has hardly changed for 30 years, their current radio system was installed in 2003, and their radio system coverage probably hasn't changed dramatically since 2003, either; what gets me is that they've apparently been putting up with somewhat crappy radio coverage for 17 years instead of actually doing something about it before now. A couple of voted receive sites would probably do the trick.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Sounds about right, much easier to complain about radios than to actually fix the issue. I mean its just officer safety so no biggie right? Hey our radio dont work. Sure they do you just not holding it high enough in the air, on top of the car, on top of the hill. See now they work great.

Status
Not open for further replies.