Verona Fire Department

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kodiak713

Heard a unit identifying as Rescue 1 on Veronas "FD Dispatch" talk group the other day which left me confused. As far as i was aware all units identifying as rescue were EMS units on the "VRS Dispatch" talk group. Did the two organizations merge, or renumber their units for the upcoming NJICS system? i cant find any info about it, and my info is pretty old but i had the Verona Rescue Squad with 5 through 9, and Verona Fire Department units from 10 to 16.

Ed-N2QBZ

Rochester NY, Previously from Cedar Grove and East
Verona Rescue's Volvo/PL Rescue 7 was taken from them several months back (May?) and was given to company 1 and was re lettered and striped in yellow and black and designated Rescue 1. There was no merger. Fire units are numbered from 10-19, so there was no room to add another truck in that series. The ambulances are 6, 8 & 9. There is no 5, but their Tahoe command unit is 505.

https://www.facebook.com/VeronaFire...67136111296/10153670232766297/?type=3&theater

Last edited:

Kodiak713

Wow didn't realize alll that occurred, will have to update my file. Didn't realize the FD went that high in numbers. Truck does look good now though, any insight to why they switched rescue to FD? Just manpower shortage?

Ed-N2QBZ

Rochester NY, Previously from Cedar Grove and East
I've been out of the area for over 5 years, but maintain some occasional contact with a few VRS members, but I believe that manpower issues were the main issue. Since the town bought it, they took it away and gave it to fire since there was the potential for additional manpower. Those VRS members weren't that pleased about it and one had told me when I was still riding in Cedar Grove that Verona fire's mantra at the time was "if it isn't on fire, it isn't our problem". Perhaps there was a change in chiefs that changed that. It's an unfortunate consequence and trend of what's been happening to EMS-based rescue in many areas.

If you look at Verona Fire's web site, Verona Volunteer Fire Department - Verona, New Jersey you'll see the other apparatus >16, essentially some chief's vehicles and a brush truck.

boxcom

Feed Provider
On a side note, it appears Verona FD is simulcasting from the NJICS on their new dispatch channel of 470.3000. No PL/DPL was broken while searching, so it remains CSQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.