BCD396XT/BCD996XT: verry lost on setup please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarhead1981

Premium Subscriber
This is my first scanner and I cannot find out how to set it up. I live in ct and all I can get is Alaska. where and how do I start to set up this?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Lost

It would be much easier if you provided the make and model of the scanner and the system(s) you want to scan.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Another victim of Uniden's preloaded data. First thing I did when I got my 1st 996XT was to delete the preloaded stuff.

teufler

Litchfield cty

ok, you got the link to the easy read manual, thats a start. Freescan is the program that most start out with. Here is a Freescan 2.17 file for Litchfield cty and surrounding areas. You should have the program cable that runs from your computer to the radio. Set up the software and the cable so your computer recognizes what comm port you will use. Freescan does this. File is zipped for compression, RR requires this so you will need an unzipping utility. 7-zip is the one that many of us use though most any unzipping utility works.

Attachments

• litchfield cty.zip
    6.3 KB · Views: 55

Jarhead1981

Premium Subscriber
After some playing around I was able to delete all preloaded systems and create my own and manually input the sites I wanted. I downloaded freescan but still having problems uploading to scanner. Also trying to get ct state police, its a trunked system. thanks for the help the easy to read manual is much better! This thing is much more high tech than the old scanners I used to play around with!

teufler

Is the scanner recognizing the comport that Freescan says is there? If it is, the file I sent should have the Ct State Police there.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
After some playing around I was able to delete all preloaded systems and create my own and manually input the sites I wanted. I downloaded freescan but still having problems uploading to scanner. Also trying to get ct state police, its a trunked system. thanks for the help the easy to read manual is much better! This thing is much more high tech than the old scanners I used to play around with!

Plug the cable in to the PC.
If on Windows 7, click start and type Device Manager then click on it when it appears in the search results
Scroll down in DevMgr to the Com Ports section and see what port number it assigned to the cable (COM1, COM4, whatever...)

Make sure FreeScan is set to that port

Status
Not open for further replies.