• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Version 2.0 TK-880 Running 1.0 Firmware???

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenwoodgeek

I just got myself a Kenwood TK-880 unit to add to my little collection. Came in the mail today.

According to the sticker on the back, the radio is, in fact, a Version 2.0, which is what I wanted. When the radio boots up, it shows the firmware it is running is Version 1.5111.

I'm having a couple problems with it. For one thing, when I went to write my programming file to the radio in the KPG-49D software, a notice popped up directly contradicting what the sticker on the back says, saying that it is NOT a Version 2.0 radio, and therefore not all the newer features will work on this unit.

Many of the channels I have setup for FleetSync. With these channels, I always have the sidetone turned on, not only because I really like it, but also because it helps me remember not to start talking too soon. For some reason, the sidetone is not sounding at all. The box for it is checked in the programming, but it will not sound when I key up. All I can assume is that the sidetone is not available on this version of firmware.

But furthermore, is this a Version 2.0 radio running firmware for Version 1.0? If so, where can I obtain firmware for the Version 2.0 so I can get the sidetone?

Thanks in advance.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Latest Version 1 firmware has a checksum of E4B3. It is for Version 1 radios ONLY. Works in radios with Serial Numbers starting with 207XXXXXX

Latest Verson 2 firmware is 028 with a checksum of 0ADE. For radios with Serial Numbers starting with B13XXXXX

Radios can be re-cased, so don't trust the sticker on the bottom.

kenwoodgeek

Man, that stinks. Hope I didn't get a re-cased Version 1. The sticker is on the back of the heat sync, though. Is that part of the case? The serial number starts with 403.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Man, that stinks. Hope I didn't get a re-cased Version 1. The sticker is on the back of the heat sync, though. Is that part of the case? The serial number starts with 403.

Yeah, the CPU is the decider here, and that's on the circuit board, and those can be easily swapped. Still, that's just a guess, so don't give up yet. I looked at the service manual, but it's for a version 2, so it doesn't tell me what CPU is in the version 1.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Since that is an older radio, I don't have access to enough info to tell you exactly what is going on. You could -try- forcing version 2 firmware into it, but not sure what the exact risk would be.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Since that is an older radio, I don't have access to enough info to tell you exactly what is going on. You could -try- forcing version 2 firmware into it, but not sure what the exact risk would be.

Pretty sure you don't want to try and force version 2 firmware into a version 1 radio, they are different. If it does go in, the radio will likely not like it.

For the cost of a TK-880/280(not sure which one you are using, folks have referenced both) just try and find a version 2 radio. They are getting long in the tooth, you may want to consider moving to the TK-x180 series. They are newer and still supported.

kenwoodgeek

Okay, kayn1n32008, just saw your message.

Like Matt said, I am not sure how much risk is involved with this, but then again, who knows if this truly is a 2.0 radio?

One of the Kenwood dealers just sent me a 2.0 firmware file. I'm going to go ahead and give it a try, just so my curiosity is quenched.

If it does screw the radio up, it's on me. I got the thing cheap. Either way, I'm going to have to buy a 2.0 anyway, right? If it does, I'll attempt to get one of the 1.0 firmware files and write it back to the radio. I'm just crossing my fingers this will somehow work.

I actually already have a TK-8180 and two NX-800 units, haha. I got this TK-880 just so I could play around with it and try something older for a change.

I'll do this thing and get back with the results.

kenwoodgeek

Alright, well I just tried it and didn't get very far. It looks like the radio was completely rejecting it altogether and not allowing it to be installed. So the radio is still running the 1.5111.

I'm done with this, haha. I'm going to start looking for a 2.0 and I'll be in the process of putting this one back up for sale on eBay. Pretty annoyed.

opelgtalex

Your TK-880 has Passport firmware in it which is why it reads 1.55xx on the screen on boot.
When you go to write to the radio, it says its not a v2 radio because of the Passport firmware, you mention the rear sticker says V2, and it most likely is.
Simple and easy to fix, get the last issue V2 firmware, use FPro, and dump Kenwood firmware back in it, you will not get the nag screen that the radio is not version 2 after that.

kenwoodgeek

Really? I didn't even know Passport was available for the TK-880.

As I said, though, I just got a copy of the version 2 firmware, but it didn't work. When I used the FPro program to write the firmware to the radio, the bar moved across the screen as if it was loading the new firmware, but the radio itself didn't do anything, and it still has the same firmware.

opelgtalex

Did you put the radio in firmware write mode? The display should read "PROG 576000" when the radio is in firmware write mode.
Hold down the scan button while powering on the radio.
You have to enable firmware writing in 49D.

kenwoodgeek

Not initially, no. I forgot to enable firmware programming and actually put it into programming mode. I figured those things out after a while. I'm just now seeing your post, haha.

I got it! Wrote the new firmware to the radio, and now I've got my sidetone and no more error message, so I'm happy. Now is there a way to view the firmware version?

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.