• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vertex 180v

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWFD16

I am wanting to increase the wattage in my vertex 180v. I use it for my fire dept and I am not in my district 24/7. Does anybody know how to do this and is it fairly easy to do?

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I am wanting to increase the wattage in my vertex 180v. I use it for my fire dept and I am not in my district 24/7. Does anybody know how to do this and is it fairly easy to do?

Most modern portable radios, regardless of manufacturer, are what they are. Because of micro sized components and multiple layer pc boards, it's no longer easy to modify any part of the radio except for maybe a mic connector or speaker plug. So increasing the wattage of the radio itself, while theoretically possible I suppose, is just not doable for 99.999% of us.

You could look into improving the antenna system. If you're in a vehicle, there are antenna adapters that screw on in place of the flex antenna so you can connect to a vehicle mounted antenna.

There may be some linneys available, but why bother? For the cost and effort, you can buy several 25 to 50 watt mobiles.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Most modern portable radios, regardless of manufacturer, are what they are. Because of micro sized components and multiple layer pc boards, it's no longer easy to modify any part of the radio except for maybe a mic connector or speaker plug. So increasing the wattage of the radio itself, while theoretically possible I suppose, is just not doable for 99.999% of us.

You could look into improving the antenna system. If you're in a vehicle, there are antenna adapters that screw on in place of the flex antenna so you can connect to a vehicle mounted antenna.

There may be some linneys available, but why bother? For the cost and effort, you can buy several 25 to 50 watt mobiles.

AMEN. A 3db antenna with 4 watts in gives you an effective 8 watts ERP. Bigger ears hear better also.

Can't speak specifically to Vertex products, but while I have seen Icom portables doing 6 or 8 watts the drain on the battery makes them very unreliable, especially for critical life and safety fire communications.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

jeatock said:

AMEN. A 3db antenna with 4 watts in gives you an effective 8 watts ERP. Bigger ears hear better also.

Can't speak specifically to Vertex products, but while I have seen Icom portables doing 6 or 8 watts the drain on the battery makes them very unreliable, especially for critical life and safety fire communications.

Even if your putting out 6-8w your only up 3db. 8w is not going to get you any significant more talk range than 5w. You would be better off getting a mobile with a 5/8wave antenna, even if it is only putting out 25w to the feedline

Status
Not open for further replies.