• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vertex EVX-539 - DMR codeplug for ham radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g8tzl2004

I am programming a Vertex EVX-539 for ham radio DMR repeaters and simplex.

Does anybody have an "example" codeplug so I can use it to work out how to set up talk groups etc.

Any ham codeplug will do as I just want to work out the programming "structure" rather than wanting a ready-made codeplug.

Thanks

g8tzl2004

There are 2 versions of the EVX-539 - the early model (14 digit LCD display) uses CE142 software and the later model (enhanced dot matrix display) uses CE151 software.

I'm looking for an example codeplug to use with CE142 software.

Thanks

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
You can look at any of the other DMR radios on YouTube. It's generally the same process but the steps may be slightly different due to software changes. The basic DMR setup is the same though.

I purchased my EVX back in 2013 I think... and while it was a struggle at first, since there was ZERO help, I muddled thru it. It was actually kind of fun having to learn and figure out how to make it all work.

IMHO, the EVX-539 is not the best amateur choice since it has limitations compared to the newer DMR multi-band radios.

g8tzl2004

I've checked out the YouTube guides which are useful...but seeing how the Vertex EVX codeplug is "structured" for Talk Groups etc avoids mistakes and trial and error :)

Devicelab - can you send me a copy of your codeplug. If your EVX is from 2013 (like mine) it will be for the earlier version which uses CE142 software.

I have a "collection" of analog commercial radios...so I am reasonably up to speed with programming ...but I have never really got round to figuring out all the requirements of DMR programming. For my Motorola DMR radios I have just used "ready made" codeplugs!!! Sadly I have not found any ready made EVX codeplugs...in fact I've not found any "example" codeplugs....you would think there would be an archive of codeplugs for all DMR radios...maybe there is but I have not yet found it :)

OK on the Chinese dual band DMR radios... I always wonder how they perform RF wise against a Motorola or Vertex radio. My Motorola DMR handheld has a really hot front end....and the Vertex (on analog) performs OK.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
TheEVX 539 software was confusing compared to TYT software for the MD 2017 or MD 380. But, once you get the basic idea it goes along fine. Been quite some time since I messed with it though.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
The EVX 539 software was confusing compared to TYT software...

I heartily agree but it was also one of the very first DMR radio/software packages readily available. (And for HAMs the software/firmware updates are free.) As I said, there are limitations to the radio/software because of this...

g8tzl2004

In terms of operating "features", compared to a TYT DMR radio, is an EVX 539 missing anything which is required/useful for ham DMR repeater operation....apart from not being dual band :)

Status
Not open for further replies.