• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vertex Firmware Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanknj

I am having trouble updating the FIRMWARE on several VX459 portables. I have several portables across both bands. I am trying to load FIRMARE 1.12. I am using the FIF-10A and the CT106 cable.

The radios that I have trouble loading the new FIRMWARE into, all currently have FIRMWARE (1.05 and 1.06). It just "times out" each try I try to load the new FIRMWARE. I have tried this on two computers and both have identical results. Please note that I have been succefful with other VX459s. The only difference is that they started with a higher FIRMWARE version (1.1).

Any suggestions? All help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Bryan K.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Bryan, this is a shot in the dark, but some times that is the case with radio firmware. You may have to flash to a specific version before going to the highest. Any chance you can find 1.10 and flash them to that one first? (You might try searching Google for grins.)

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I thought all vertex radios require the firmware writer.. FIF-8 unit

Not the same as the programming cable.

Frank

bryanknj

@nickcarr- Thank you for the reccommendation. I just tried to upload to 1.0 without success. Any other suggestions?
@n3obl- The FIF-10a is a firmware writer and the CT106 is the radio specific cable,

SCPD

QRT
Hmm, well you said this worked before right? Was it using the same compuer/cable/software setup?

I see that the FIF10A is USB as is the cable.

Some random ideas:

1. Could the radios be "locked" somehow? i.e. to prevent programming? Can you reset them to factory defaults first and then program?

2. Are you using the FRONT or REAR USB ports on the computers? Some computers will disable the FRONT ports in the computer BIOS menu. You could try plugging the USB cable into the REAR port.

2B. Are you sure the USB drivers are installed on the computer? There would likely be two sets of drivers. One for the port itself and one for the cable. (They should show in up device manager -- presuming your using Windows.) (See #3)

3. Does the radio/software connection work in other ways? Can you read/write to the radio -- does the radio respond to other interface commands?

4. Does the software require any special access/permissions/keys to upgrade the firmware?

5. If using Vista/Windows 7, do you have administrator access on that PC? If not, you can right-click on the program and choose "Run as Administrator"

Last edited:

TRNcommLLC

Feed Provider
Had the same problem with FIF10A and Firmware.

Slow down the rate of the com port in windows.
1200 worked for me on the 450 series and 4600 series firmware.
9600 I guess was too fast.

I thought I bricked it a few times... scary.

OH make sure noting else is running (Antivirus and such)
John

bsmeyers

Question LTR Firmware 1.21, Available...?

Had the same problem with FIF10A and Firmware.

Slow down the rate of the com port in windows.
1200 worked for me on the 450 series and 4600 series firmware.
9600 I guess was too fast.

I thought I bricked it a few times... scary.

OH make sure noting else is running (Antivirus and such)
John

I agree with the slowing down, It's worked for me in the past, QUESTION...

I believe firmware version 1.21 will upgrade a 451 from Conv to LTR, can anyone point me in the direction of where to find the firmware? On the VX dealer websidt they only have Version 1.26 and it does not have the LTR built in it anymore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Status
Not open for further replies.