• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vertex programming and Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE5YOU

Alright so it is about time to begin me a new project. I want to take some eVerge radio equipment and do a little double duty with it. The primary (90% of the usage) use will be personal on the ham bands. However I also want the radios to be utilzed while working, utilizing part of the spectrum just above the 70cm portion. But regardless I do have a question in regards to programming. Is there anyway to program these radio from a computer utilzing the Ubuntu OS? I know the manufacturer software is not designed for a Linux enviroment and specifically states it will not work in one (still might give it a try in wine). But I was wondering if something similar to say a CHIRP equivilant existed for these radios?

VSTech

I haven't worked with Linux OS software, but like Mac OS software, can you install Windows XP/7 on a partitioned portion of your HDD?

Vertex Software has only been programmed to run on Windows software.

cabletech

Windows or pure dos only depending on what software you are using.

No MAC, no Linux, no chirp, no unbiq.

Most dos programs WILL run under windows if you load them to your computer correctly and they will also run under windows in dosbox.

KE5YOU

This is just sad. I know most of the world runs on Windows and has been conditioned to do so. But why on earth is it that all these manufacturers can't port their programming software to something other then Windows? Programming software is realatively simple, one good programer and a little money could fix this issue in no time flat.

But none the less thanks for the replies.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I have a lot of the Windows based Icom software running under wine. CS-F100, CS-F11, CS-F3021, CS-91A, CS-F3G...I can't get the Motorola CPS or RSS to run right.

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

Kf4mnc

You answered your own question . . . "Most of the world runs on Windows."

Project25_MASTR

This is just sad. I know most of the world runs on Windows and has been conditioned to do so. But why on earth is it that all these manufacturers can't port their programming software to something other then Windows? Programming software is realatively simple, one good programer and a little money could fix this issue in no time flat.

But none the less thanks for the replies.

The internet runs on Linux…the top 10 most powerful computers in the world do as well.

Oh, in the wine config file you can set and or assign COM ports. I WINE also has a little GUI pop up that'll do the same as well.

KE5YOU

The internet runs on Linux…the top 10 most powerful computers in the world do as well.

Oh, in the wine config file you can set and or assign COM ports. I WINE also has a little GUI pop up that'll do the same as well.

No doubt. We know the merits of the OS and despite the decade plus of advancement the market share for Linux machines is still low. Especially when speaking of personal computing. If not for Android that market share would be almost nonexistant in that group. Hints my comment. As a rule of thumb people don't use servers to program radios. Thus I somewhat understand the lack of development, but I still find the situation sad because of how simple the solution is.

cabletech

ke6you if this problem is as you say "how simple the solution is" then the whole world is waiting for you to convert every program into these other OS formats.

We will see some within 6 months????????

KE5YOU

ke6you if this problem is as you say "how simple the solution is" then the whole world is waiting for you to convert every program into these other OS formats.

We will see some within 6 months????????

I'm not getting into a debate with you, and what is your issue? Your responses have been condensending from the get go. As for me, I'm not that proficient with programming. Rather I have an understanding several languages and can make simple edits here and there. But I'm not profient enough to write a program. What my knowledge base does confirm is that a good programmer could easily port programming software to other OS enviroments. However manufacturers don't have financial incentive to do so and as such programmers don't either.

maxkelley

I run a VirtualBox VM with Windows XP or Windows 7, attach the programming cable as a USB device directly to the guest OS or if I'm using a serial cable, map the serial port to the proper ttySx device.

This has worked for me for modern Motorola radios, Vertex, Icom, you name it.

cabletech

ke5you-n5mst I don't have any problem, do you? I also have not been, as yu say, condensending.

Just pointing out the limitations of OS for several thousand programs, and that this same subject has been batted around for many many years.

Take a breather and have fun.

VSTech

You misunderstood.

Mac computer products are able to run a program called Bootcamp, which allows Windows products to be installed on a partitioned area on the hdd.

So when I boot up my iMac and hold the option key, I can choose to run Windows XP or Mac OSX.

I was saying if Linux has this ability, this could work for KE5YOU too

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
No MAC, no Linux, no chirp, no unbiq.

Wrong.

On a Mac there are several choices for running Windows/DOS programs. Bootcamp will allow a Mac to boot directly into Windows. VMWare Fusion or Parallels will allow the MacOS to run several Operating Systems concurrently.

On several flavours of Linux, WINE or VMWare will allow you to run DOS or Windows programs. I'm sure there are other programs available as well.

I'm running VMWare Fusion on my Mac. I use It to run WindowsXP and am able to run many different scanner software programs as well as Motorola's ASTRO25 and APX CPS.

To the OP, check out WINE or VMWare. I'm sure there's something out there that will allow you to program your radio.

KE5YOU

You misunderstood.

Mac computer products are able to run a program called Bootcamp, which allows Windows products to be installed on a partitioned area on the hdd.

So when I boot up my iMac and hold the option key, I can choose to run Windows XP or Mac OSX.

I was saying if Linux has this ability, this could work for KE5YOU too

Dual booting can be done under Linux. I would just have to repartition my HDD and purchase a copy of Windows. Hints my resistance to the idea. While workable it presents logistical issues.

Project25_MASTR

The downside to VMware, Parallels, and even Bootcamp is that you still have to install a full operating system on the machine to run the programs you want. I've had all of the above to run windows 7 on my MacBook Pro just to run Motorola CPS and Solid Works and every time I have to boot or log into Windows I hate it a little bit more.

Wine doesn't run the full OS and what it does run, it runs in the background. There is a program (though not free) called CrossOver which is essentially WINE for the Mac as well. Won't run some of the more complex programs (works with some cad software and not others) but it might also be an option for some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kf4mnc

If the issue is having to obtain a windows operating system then why not just buy a cheap older laptop that already has the operating system and let it serve as your windows based programming rig. You can find a cheap laptop for less than what it would most likely cost for a licensed copy of windows. I did this for a number of years until I decided to do away with radios that couldn't be programmed with XP, and now Windows 7.

For reference my primary operating system of choice is Mac OSX and I dual boot with Bootcamp and VMWare. When I program I typically boot straight into windows just to prevent anything "weird" from happening that may mess up the programming. If this ever fails I still have my trust old windows laptop tucked away in the closet I can dust off and use.

cabletech

Since I have not been able to get back for several days, it seams that there is some confusion over my earler statement about no software for other OS.

Sorry to get everone's feathers ruffled.

Yes, I know that there are other interface programs that can be used to run Windows programs on other OS but as has been stated, they some times can be a pain to use.

It is just like I have to use DosBox to run some older DOS programs and some times that is a pain so I have a computer that has Dos on it as a back up.

All I was trying to say was, ke5you stated that a little time and money could this problem so I chanlanged him to rewrite these programs.

WI3EMT

I tried to run CS-31 in WIne to program some VX-800U's , while it detected the com ports , it didn't play well together. I got it to read thje radio , but writing anything to it didn't fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.