• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vertex Standard 2200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

First let me state that I have no experience with programming radios, I am a completely new to all of this, roughly a week old, I have been reading tons of post here and manuals. If we can't get them to work that's fine, it would be nice just to see if we could, we are not going to spend any money on them.

Okay, onto my issue.

Where I work we use CP200, CP200D, and RDU4100 radios. Well another building that was part of us shut down and gave us a box full of Vertex Standard 2200-AG7H-50. The boss and I were sitting around thinking maybe we can get these to work with the others in the building so I started looking things up.

I work with computers so I didn't think it would be to hard programming them, whelp I was wrong. So in the box there were cables that allow you to connect to the computers and a CD with the software. What I have read is that we would need CE82 software but the software on the disc is CE103. I tried CE82 but it doesn't work but the CE103 works great.

I use the software with a serial cable and all I did was change the frequency from the other site to the one we use here and sent it to the vertex. Well you can here everything but can't reply. I thought it might be the mic but I have tried 10 of the mics so it can't be all 10 mics bad. I know I'm probably missing something really small and it's an easy fix but could anyone though me a bone, thanks in advance.

Oh, and when I connect with the CE103 in the zone section it's formatted to conventional with one group and the Rx and Tx are set to CTCSS 77 if that helps.

MBill

Premium Subscriber
My guess is that you need to use the correct CTCSS tone. Read one of the radios from your site
and note what the CTCSS tone is for both Rx an TX. Then put that tone(s) in your radio.
If this is a repeater system, then you also need the correct TX frequency as the Rx frequency
will be different. If you are using a simplex system (one frequency for Tx and Rx) then most
likely you need the correct TX CTCSS tone or tones.

MBill

Premium Subscriber
Some more info on your radios. What you have is the VX2200 LTR (Logic Trunked Radio). That is why
you need the CE103 software and the CE82 didn't work. The CE82 works with the VX2200 analog
radio.
I'm guessing that these radios will work as a conventional radio as well as in trunking. I am not
familiar with the LTR VX-2200 to be sure. You may have to make sure the radio is set to conventional
mode (if that is possible) to get the radios to work properly.

Thanks for the replies.

It is set to conventional. I put that in the original post. I have the CTCSS set to 77 and I have tried otherseveral but not all. It is a simplex system, no repeater and one frequency for the Rx and Tx but the paper work for the hand held we have just list the frequency there is no CTCSS on it anywhere. I'm assuming since the others are motorola and not vertex it would a different name.

MBill

Premium Subscriber
Sorry missed the conventional part in your post. I guess you have no way of reading the
Motorola's to see what the CTCSS codes are in them.
I would think that the CTCSS codes in a simplex system would be the same for transmit
and receive, though they don't have to be. I think in the Vertex in the programming section
where you enter data it is called Tone In, Tone out, or RX in TX out, or something similar;
don't have radio handy to check.
To check what tone(s) are being transmitted you might be able to have a Motorola dealer
read the Motorola radios and get that, or if you know someone with a radio scanner that
decodes tones you could have them tell you what tone(s) are being used for transmit.
Otherwise you have to try all the tones available.
It would also be good to check that the radio(s) are putting out on Transmit. You would need
a watt meter or power meter for that.
One way to check that there is only one frequency for Rx and Tx is to transmit on one of the
radios and listen on the other radio with it's mike off the radio (off hook). If you hear the
first radio's transmission you know the frequencies are the same for both Rx and Tx. While
transmitting with the first radio, touch the metal mike hang up knob on the back of the mike
of the second radio to the metal chassis (heat sink) of the second radio. If you no longer hear
the first radio, then the CTCSS tone is different. One caveat here, if in programming in the
Miscellaneous section the radio is set to enable off hook decoding, then this will not work.
Off hook decoding must be disabled.
Hope some of this helps.

Thank you MBill,

I had to manual go through each CTCSS but that was the issue. The Tx CTCSS is different then the Rx CTCSS. That was a fun time but I do appreciate the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.