• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vertex TDMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescuecomm

Vertex Standard has announced that they will begin making TDMA 6.25 Khz bandwidth digital radios. Are these going to be using the Nexedge technology that Kenwood and Icom have? Or is this going to be another proprietary radio protocol?

N

N_Jay

6.25 kHz or 6.25e ????

If it is TDMA, I would guess 6.25e.

Where did you see the announcement?

citylink_uk

Database Admin
Vertex Standard Announces Digital Radio Launch Plans -- TOKYO, March 9 /PRNewswire/ --

Full details there. Due in late 2010 with TDMA DMR standard Mobiles, Portables and Repeater. The article states 6.25kHz although it's likely that it will be two-slots in 12.5kHz.

Confusingly, members of the DMR association include both TDMA and FDMA manufactures. However the ETSI DMR Tier II standard specifies TDMA.

Icom and Kenwood are also part of the dPMR standard with a few other peripheral hardware manufactures. Personally I believe TDMA will emerge as being the front runner for a widely accepted standard.

In related news, HYT & Simoco have also joined the DMR association.

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

The article state "6.25 kHz equivalent"

Then it is MotoTRBO (like).
We will see how the compatibility works out when we have a few brands to choose from.

Last edited:

citylink_uk

Database Admin
The article state "6.25 kHz equivalent"

Then it is MotoTRBO (like).
We will see how the compatibility works out when we have a few brands to choose from.

If we're being pedantic, it actually says "....based on two-slot Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) 6.25 kHz efficient digital technology..."

But we're not, so it's OK:lol:

Interoperability is a key issue of the DMR working group so one would imagine that compliant brands would use the same standard. Hopefully they will have a similar approach to DMR Tier III as they did with MPT1327 with multiple vendor interoperability at every level.

I suppose we will have to wait and see for the definitive answer.

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

Oops! Brain Fart!
Eyes read efficient, and brain received equivalent.

fwradio

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
It will be MotoTRBO compatible. In other news, HYT has introduced MotoTRBO compatible radios and repeaters as well. Some features are proprietary to Motorola (text messaging, etc), but the voice is 100% compatible. You can use Motorola radios and HYT radios on either a Motorola or HYT repeater to talk to each other.

citylink_uk

Database Admin
It will be MotoTRBO compatible. In other news, HYT has introduced MotoTRBO compatible radios and repeaters as well. Some features are proprietary to Motorola (text messaging, etc), but the voice is 100% compatible. You can use Motorola radios and HYT radios on either a Motorola or HYT repeater to talk to each other.

HYT America Inc.

HYT Hytera Digital DMR 2-Way Radios - Call 847-245-4800

Info on the new HYT brand there and the new portable respectively. There products look very pleasing to the eye.

radiofan1

Do you have a link supporting the Vertex/mototrdo info?

fwradio

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
I am sure we are all hoping the Digital Mobile Radio (DMR) Association assure compatibility (and to extend the assumption, compatibility with MotoTRBO) but that is not said explicitly.

It will be interesting to watch.

I would assume that since Motorola owns Vertex, that any DMR solution Vertex puts out there would be Motorola compatible. But it is Motorola, so you never know.

In a related issue, Hytera (HYT) has a new portable, mobile, and repeater that are all MotoTRBO compatible for voice. I have been told that the data functions are not the same, but you will be able to talk between HYT and MotoTRBO radios.

citylink_uk

Database Admin
I believe DMR members will be holding more practical interoperability tests soon ahead of the release of DMR Tier III Trunked systems at the end of the year.

W2NJS

Minor, very minor, physical differences between the Vertex TRBO HT and the Motorola. Different knob shapes, a hex-shaped main button rather than Motorola's round button, but otherwise hard to tell from the Motorola unit.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
yep, and take the same battery and other accy as Moto units from what my supplier told me. i have not ordered my set of them yet, but i am supposed to order them soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.