• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vertex VX-4207 - Carrier Detect & CTCSS detect

WB5OCK

Got a couple Vertex VX-4207 mobile radios. Even though the Dsub 15 connector on the back does bring out a RSSI voltage (pin 6) it's not working with my controller. I have seen posts that say pin 9 (ACC1) can be (programmed) configured for Carrier Detect and pin 10 (ACC2) for CTCSS/CDCSS detect. I don't see in the software how to configure these accessory pins. Using firmware v 2-23 Any help would be appreciated.

radiotweester

I hope that was an error as Pin 6 is PTT - ground to TX. Pin 5 is RSSI, but still that's a varying voltage designed to drive an analog meter.
It's been a while, but I used pin 13 (output port 5 under Common) set to Busy. I think it only had voltage on CTCSS/DCS decode and not just on any signal that flashes the green LED. I can confirm later today, or test it for yourself.
I wouldn't recommend Pin 7 as it's really designed for antenna or pre-amp switch.
This is in Help, but these are the only settings for outputs
None, Busy, AF Mute, ACC1, ACC2, Horn Alert, Public Address, PTT, TX Power, EMG, 5T_ACC1, thru 5T. Direct CH1 thru Direct CH
ACC1 and ACC2 are just like switched. Program a front key and it will activate it on the D-sub.
73s

Attachments

• 4200.png
    4200.png
    375.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

WB5OCK

Thanks, I'll program (output port 5 under Common) to Busy for CTCSS and DPL detect and try that 1st. My Scomm 6K controller should be able to use that source ok. Any thoughts on bringing out a Carrier detect voltage? It will probably always run in PL or DPL mode but carrier squelch only would be nice.

WB5OCK

One more thought on this VX-4207... One person suggested removing R1416 and running a jumper from TP1079 to the collector of Q1009 Which is supposed to provide COR to Pin 11 on the D-sub.. but all it does tied into the controller is pull down the collector voltage to a non usable level...

radiotweester

You need to test that line! It's combined Carrier Detect/COR and I believe it's dependent on correct PL/DPL.
I didn't get around to reprogramming and checking the radio I had handy. I'm not familiar with that controller, but if you have a spare output on the controller, you could program a radio Input 1-4 or 6 as Monitor and toggle your CSQ or PL/DPL with DTMF through the controller. Not as cool as a preset built in address on a controller, but this isn't an actual repeater like the VXR-####. Are you cross-banding or trying the same band? If it's a standard same band repeater I'd suggest tight band-pass filtering for the input freq

WB5OCK

Being used as a standard same band repeater with power turned back to 20W for a 50% duty cycle. Added extra cooling fans on the heatsink, made sure the heat transfer grease is good and not dried out (since these were "used" radios) Will let ya know how it comes out. tnx