• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vertex VX-454

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I have a couple questions. I just picked up a VX-454.

Firmware: Can anyone confirm the current firmware? I thought I read in one of the threads the current was 1.23.00.00. The firmware on my radio is 1.12.00.00.

2-tone decode: Can I really only have 1 pair decoded per channel? While set to decode a pair, I can't hear any audio on the decode channel. I tried changing around to different settings. It only opens on transmission when set to not decode. Even tried turning "Duty" on and off.

Receive Only: What is the best way to program this radio as receive only? On my Kenwood I simply leave the TX frequency blank. The CE115 software requires a frequency. I tried all 0's, no luck there.

While the help topics are decent for the CE115 software, I think they could be better to explain certain features.

Thanks,

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Figured out how to have more than 1 tone pair per decode channel. Also got it set to hear all transmissions on the decode channel.

Now if I can only figure out how to get it to beep when a tone pair is tripped! The light works, but no beeps.

msrettinger

I use CE-115 for my VX-4600. Never have used the 2 tone settings for my radio. I think if you open the 2 tone tab and then the 2 tone system. In the bottom right hand corner are your 2 tone decode settings. You might have to scroll over to the right. There looks like your Alert tone settings. A, B, C, etc. Hope this helps.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Figured out how to have more than 1 tone pair per decode channel. Also got it set to hear all transmissions on the decode channel.

Now if I can only figure out how to get it to beep when a tone pair is tripped! The light works, but no beeps.

Seems funny to be quoting my own post. OK, for those that may be looking in the future, you have to have the "beep" feature in the Channel Info page of your decode channel set to normal for the alert beep to function when it receives a tone pair.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I use CE-115 for my VX-4600. Never have used the 2 tone settings for my radio. I think if you open the 2 tone tab and then the 2 tone system. In the bottom right hand corner are your 2 tone decode settings. You might have to scroll over to the right. There looks like your Alert tone settings. A, B, C, etc. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

The step I was missing was the 2 tone system. I didn't realize at first that I had to check each tone pair in the system section to get the decode to work. Now everything works pretty well. Except the damn squelch tail at times.

Last edited:

wa2chj

Sibbley

To eliminate the squelch tail try the following:

Go to Miscellaneous Menue
Open the Misc 2 Tab
go to CTCSS Elimination
Set to 180 Degrees

That should get rid of it...at least on everything that uses CTCSS.

Scott

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Forget to mention...the current firmware for the VX-454 and VX-459 (which I have) is 1.25.00.

Scott

Awesome. Thank you. I've inquired with the outfit I bought the radio from about the current firmware. If they fail me, any idea where I might find the current firmware?

Thanks,

wa2chj

Yes. I don't think hot links are allowed on RR, but search for "Vertex Standard On Line". The site you find will ask you to sign up for an account, and it takes a couple days to get it approved, but it is free and gives you access to ALL the programming software for all the current and many legacy radios as well as all the firmware updates. It also has other important info like user manuals, service manuals, etc.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Yes. I don't think hot links are allowed on RR, but search for "Vertex Standard On Line". The site you find will ask you to sign up for an account, and it takes a couple days to get it approved, but it is free and gives you access to ALL the programming software for all the current and many legacy radios as well as all the firmware updates. It also has other important info like user manuals, service manuals, etc.

Will they approve me without being from an official Company/Organization?

wa2chj

I program a lot of Vertex radios for EMS and fire, so I used that, but I don't think there is any requirement that you be in the business. Give it a try, all they can do is say no, but they've approved everyone I know that applied.

wa2chj

There are TWO ways to do firmware updates. One requires a separate cable, the other does not. I typically use the regular cable way. In fact that's how I updated my VX-459 a few weeks ago. The software comes as a .zip file, and unzipping it gives you an executable. As long as you have the correct COM port selected, it should take a minute or two and be done when using the regular programming cable that plugs into the speaker/mic jack. Make sure you back up your programming by downloading and saving the code plug before updating. I've never had a firmware update screw up the programming, but there's always a first time and with 512 channels there's no reason to take that chance.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
There are TWO ways to do firmware updates. One requires a separate cable, the other does not. I typically use the regular cable way. In fact that's how I updated my VX-459 a few weeks ago. The software comes as a .zip file, and unzipping it gives you an executable. As long as you have the correct COM port selected, it should take a minute or two and be done when using the regular programming cable that plugs into the speaker/mic jack. Make sure you back up your programming by downloading and saving the code plug before updating. I've never had a firmware update screw up the programming, but there's always a first time and with 512 channels there's no reason to take that chance.

Cool. Thank you for all the help!

BTW, I just got my account for Vertex Standard Online a few minutes ago. That was a lot quicker than I expected.

wa2chj

You're welcome. I was in your shoes a few years ago, and other forum members helped me out. Just returning the favor.
The Vertex Standard site is not intuitively obvious how to find what you're looking for. If you have any problems, just ask.

Scott

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
You're welcome. I was in your shoes a few years ago, and other forum members helped me out. Just returning the favor.
The Vertex Standard site is not intuitively obvious how to find what you're looking for. If you have any problems, just ask.

Scott

Thanks, Just took some time to really look around. Found updated CE-115 and current firmware. Once I get home this afternoon, I'll update the firmware and try your suggestion for the squelch tail.

Thanks again.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Sibbley

To eliminate the squelch tail try the following:

Go to Miscellaneous Menue
Open the Misc 2 Tab
go to CTCSS Elimination
Set to 180 Degrees

That should get rid of it...at least on everything that uses CTCSS.

Scott

Scott, I set the CTCSS Elimination to 180 Degrees. It worked for most of the squelch tail. Some units transmitting there is still a bit of squelch tail, but it's much better. Thanks.

Did the firmware update yesterday afternoon, worked perfectly. Thanks again.

Have you ever figured out how to make the beeps on alert closer together? In 2 tone settings, the option to space the beeps has a minimum of 2 seconds. Is there another setting?

wa2chj

The squelch tail elimination is a function of how the CTCSS is handled by the transmitter at the end of a transmission. Some transmitters do nothing except end, and those are the ones you'll still hear a short tail on. Nothing you can do about them. Best you can do is eliminate the others.
Glad the firmware update went well. As you play around with updating and programming, you'll get better and more confident at it...that's when you'll start discovering how you can really make the radios do what you want them to.
No, I don't believe there is a way to change the beep timing other than changing the entire pattern letter. I think the old 160/180 series had the best alerting system, and they screwed it up with the 350 series. The 450 series is an attempt to improve on the 350 series, but it's still not as good as the 160/180 series IMHO.
If you want to play the alerts and see what they sound like:
Search for TRN Communications
On the TRN website
seach for VX-454 or VX-459
Down near the bottom of the page there is an alert player.
TRN Communications is on this board and is one of the people who helped me out a great deal learning the Vertex software.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Those alerts sound great! I haven't been able to get anywhere near having the beeps that close. I hoped the VX-454 would be like my Kenwood when it came to the alerts. With the Kenwood software I can tweak the alert tones and actually listen to my changes before downloading to the radio. Unless I'm missing something, I've only been able to play the available tone A-G.

Status
Not open for further replies.