• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vertex VX-500

Status
Not open for further replies.

WI3EMT

I was recently donated five of these from my shop guy. I haven't been able to find anything out about them on the internet , except that they are most likely wideband only. Still makes for a good ham portable !
Does anyone know anything about these ? I don't even think Vertex provides support for the software anymore , but I could be mistaken . They seem like a very rugged unit , with the cast metal case.

WISCOMM

Looks like that is DOS only software. Programming Software VX-500 Dos (11 Apr 2012 Zip File 60KB)

Send me a DM for more info.

I think the problem you are going to have is batteries, this normally runs more then the radios are worth.

Craig

WI3EMT

Wow . . . I dug through the FCC Database and found that traffic I heard was from a local contrasctor , Nikolay Transport. They're only liscensed one frequency , so I have no idea what the other 15 are .
I sent a PM.

VSTech

The VX-510 replaced the VX-500, but the battery packs can be used on these too.
CE-6 will work on some PC with Windows XP, I'm using XP Pro
This is Wideband radio only
VHF LA = 29.7 - 38 MHz
VHF LB = 38 - 50 MHz
VHF A = 134 - 150 MHz
VHF C = 146 - 174 MHz
UHF A = 400 - 420 MHz
UHF D = 450 - 470 MHz

WI3EMT

VSTech , Thanks. I have confirmed that they are of the VHF C bandsplit, and the batteries are in pretty good condition , especially considering their age. THe pickle will be finding software since I'm fairly sure Vertex doesn't support it anymore , and if a USB programming cable will play nicely with the software .

WI3EMT

I am lacking a DOS box , laptop on Linux , laptop on XP , storage tower on 7 Ultimate.
I don't know if it would play in the XP " Command Prompt."

VSTech

VX-500 Information

Attached is the DOS version of the VX-500 CE-6 programming software.

Attachments

• CE06V410.zip
    63.1 KB · Views: 233

RodStrong

Just how old ARE these things ?

My employer bought several of them new in the mid to late 90's, and I carried one full time for a couple years during that period. Rock solid radios. The only bad thing about them is eventually the rubber cover over the volume knob wears off, but that Is just cosmetic, and doesn't affect the performance.

Good luck.

WI3EMT

VS , Thanks . In the coming months , I'll either pick up a cable from that auction site , or borrow one from my shop guy . I'll let everyone know if it works in XP .

Status
Not open for further replies.