• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vertex VX-P820 ctcss/ PL tones dont exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
i am not able to find on option to select a CTCSS Code on any personality on the programming software.
the majority of tabs is for P25, then a few other options down the line. i am uploading a image, i removed the p25 tabs to shorten the sub

Last edited:

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
Menu>View item>Sub Tone
Ensure it is checked
thank you.
Question, i am sure there will be more to follow as this is a whole new platform to me.
Why is field program grayed out under the Common menu? I thought this radio was able to do field programming ( i do have a hunch that it is nothing like Motorola, EFJ, BK FPP etc etc)

radiotweester

IIRC you have start the application in dealer mode to see some of the greyed out options. Don't recall how to do this, I am sure it involved starting the application with a switch.
modify the program shortcut to end like this \CE76Win.exe" -f
or use Windows Enabler V1.1 for access to EVERYTHING greyed out

radiotweester

thank you.
Question, i am sure there will be more to follow as this is a whole new platform to me.
Why is field program grayed out under the Common menu? I thought this radio was able to do field programming ( i do have a hunch that it is nothing like Motorola, EFJ, BK FPP etc etc)

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
Ok I'll try that.keep in mind the software that came with my radio is called ce106talon. I have not heard of that version before. I can buy ce74 if need be.

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
Ok I'll try that.keep in mind the software that came with my radio is called ce106talon. I have not heard of that version before. I can buy ce74 if need be.

Did you buy an 829 from Sunny in Colorado? It appears to be a “proprietary” software. Had to get it when I bought an 829 from them to play around with. I believe you also have to have a specific version of the VX CPS for -F or -manu to work and access the grayed out fields.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
Did you buy an 829 from Sunny in Colorado? It appears to be a “proprietary” software. Had to get it when I bought an 829 from them to play around with. I believe you also have to have a specific version of the VX CPS for -F or -manu to work and access the grayed out fields.
off eBay from rickthompson.
see my last reply.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Those radios have special firmware that disable some standard features to make room for other special features. I believe these were old radios in use by the secret service or some related branch of diplomatic protection based on the "WHMO" opening screen and the non-standard OTAR capabilities.

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
off eBay from rickthompson.
see my last reply.

Yeah, those came from Sunny. They indeed were federal radios that were liquidated, the above post is correct. They got rid of “business consumer” features, and focused more on Crypto and P25 capabilities.

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
Also, just so you know.. CE-59 and CE-74 will NOT read or write on this particular model VX-820 series. It’s a shame as the talon software is extremely limited, but it gets the job done.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
Also, just so you know.. CE-59 and CE-74 will NOT read or write on this particular model VX-820 series. It’s a shame as the talon software is extremely limited, but it gets the job done.

Yeah, I figured that. I ended up with a copy of ce74. Sure enough it does not work with the radio. At least it's programmed up and works very well.
I'll wait till something pops up on a vx p924 or find another vx-p824 that is not a exfed rig

twl911

Could someone who has programmed or used one of these ex-fed radios explain the limitations of the 'talon" version of CPS?

Considering purchasing one as a pocket sized ham/PS scanner due to size, if user features are overly limited I just continue to use my tk-5220.

trumpetman

Database Admin
What features are important to you and maybe we can let you know if the radio is capable. The only thing I've noticed so far is trading quick call paging for OTAR capabilities. All the usual features seem present otherwise but I'm not very familiar with the bells and whistles Vertex offers.

twl911

What features are important to you and maybe we can let you know if the radio is capable. The only thing I've noticed so far is trading quick call paging for OTAR capabilities. All the usual features seem present otherwise but I'm not very familiar with the bells and whistles Vertex offers.

Mostly, ability for scan list(s), and modify on the fly(add delete).
I've never really understood "fully" vertex scanning. Always been a Motorola user, but have recently taken a liking to Kenwood.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
one thing i have not found on any of these p820, p920 series is in the brochure it states you can choose from i believe 7 RX LED lights. There is no setting in the software for that, the only way to see if the light actually has differnt colored rx light is to turn the radio on while holding the lowest side button, than use the channel knob and i have 14ish different colors
btw FPP mode there is no option for that setting either.

I found this on the other site:

type C:\Vertex Standard\CE76 for Windows\CE76Win.exe/f

The clone editor will launch and FPP will now be enabled

other options are
/m (Maintenance Mode)
/e (Engineering Mode)
/d (Depot Mode?)

Again this doesnt work on all CE versions, and all modes might not work on any particular version either, but you can use these methods to bypass passwords, edit S/N's, enable other features, and to go OOB.

The only "Trick", "HAck"/ Mod that works is -F
which enables FPP. :(

I was thinking if these radios are now EOL, they should offer like $199 which gives you access to all latest and last firmware, and be able to enable or disable options or heck even use OOB. EFJ supports hams and allows WIDEBAND options on their VP600 series. ( i have the VP600 and, vp900(vhf 7/800)

Last edited:

twl911

I ended up buying one from Rick Thompson.
I actually see this being used more than my Moto and Kenwood P25 portables, and even my ex560 for analog only. It's tiny, lightweight, and so far has excellent battery life.

I've found the scanning to be similar to my multi group kenwood's. With additional options I have yet to master.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I got one from him too. It's got pretty decent audio for a "non-Moto" P25. I run a mixed mode Quantar and this sings through it. Has pretty decent sensitivity too. Nice small form factor. For the price, it's a "for real" radio at a "school bus" (DMR) radio price with superior audio and a ton of zones/channels. Does pretty good on analog too. Not gonna replace an APX, but if someone is looking for a low priced way to get into P25 VHF, this can't really be beat. Same price category as XTS3000/Astro Sabers, which are ancient, require an older Windows XP/Vista PC and not obtainable (legally) CPS, and those radios are huge bricks compared to VX-P series.

Status
Not open for further replies.