• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vertex VX2000 - faulty internal speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

g8tzl2004

I have just acquired a VHF 40 channel VX2000 but unfortunately it has a faulty internal speaker. Audio is distorted and muffled. The radio looks like it has never been used so I guess it has had this fault from new?

I have connected up an external speaker using the 3.5mm socket on the back of the radio and the audio is OK - so I guess I just need to replace the internal speaker.

I've checked the service manual but does anybody know where I can source a replacement speaker. Since Vertex was acquired by Motorola, I guess old spares have long since been discontinued or will probably cost too much anyway. Does the earlier VX1000 use the same speaker?

Thanks

g8tzl2004

I also noticed that the AF audio amp gain is way too high. It only takes a very small turn of the volume knob from switch on for the audio to be at the "correct" level....then any further small increase makes the volume too loud and a further small increase then results in "audio feedback" from the external speaker (NOT internal) on white noise. The speakers (both the faulty internal and 2 good external speakers) go into feedback at around 25% of maximum volume. At switch on, its impossible to get the "correct" audio level without a signal to monitor as it falls within a very small window...slightly too high and you are getting feedback. Looks like I've bought a pile of junk :(

I guess the low (and distorted) audio from the faulty internal speaker has maybe resulted in a previous owner attempting to turn the AF audio gain up in order to get "louder audio"....not realising that the problem was a faulty speaker to begin with (I presume)?

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.