Vertical Antenna Right Next To A Wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanesFan95

Why on Earth would a storage building/place put an antenna right next to a wall like this? LOL. Put it on the dang roof !!

20210625_182136.jpg

20210625_182231.jpg

900mhz

It is possible that this antenna is used for backup communication purposes (i.e. cellular) for an alarm system. Where I used to work, we did that at every building, in case the landline phone system took a dump.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I agree, since it's coming out of the room where the fire alarm is, likely it's for an alarm system, and simply being able to reach the monitoring point it's good enough.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So that wall right there won't screw up the SWR?

Likely. But if all it has to do is beacon out a message to the central monitoring point at low power, it's not usually a big deal.

Also, usually installed by alarm guys, not to be confused with radio guys.

And most people don't want an "ugly antenna" on top of their building. And then the "if I put it below the roof line, it'll magically avoid lightning and induced energy!".

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Also the "it doesn't need to go that far, I can't justify the hundreds of feet of feedline and labor to get it all the way to the roof"

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You're assuming that it's a "bad setup" without having the first clue what the purpose of it is for. Nothing but speculation here, hardly enough to draw any conclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.