• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vertical Antennas on Cell Sites in Spain

Status
Not open for further replies.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
While recently traveling the roads of northern Spain, I noticed that cell sites located in remote areas had multiple vertical antennas in addition to the regular cellular panel antennas that we are used to seeing. I have attached a couple of pictures for reference. Some sites had two antennas while others had four. I sort of dismissed the idea of them belonging to another service and just sharing tower space, except that maybe they could be part of the Tetra system. I ran close call and a VHF/UHF with no results which really doesn’t mean much anyway. My first thought was that maybe they are relays or links of some sort. But if that’s the case, why not use microwave or even yagis? Thoughts?

Attachments

• 1B6F97BD-AE53-4970-BD76-14FCEB216993.jpeg
    1B6F97BD-AE53-4970-BD76-14FCEB216993.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 125
  • E42D326F-2BDB-4718-B929-5D183165FB5B.jpeg
    E42D326F-2BDB-4718-B929-5D183165FB5B.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 128

MASTER48

It looks like the center vertical is cell site receiving antenna and the other verticals for a trunking system. Looks quite similar set up.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The cellular antennas are the white flat panels. Everything else is for other radio systems. You can get a rough idea of the frequency band by the length of the verticals. Sharing tower space is pretty common worldwide. I count 4 small parabolic dishes in the photo on the left (3 of them 1/3 and one 2/3 up the tower), which are probably microwave relays. The center verticals at the top appear to be lightning rods rather than antennas.

Ubbe

Looks like standard configuration for a diversity system. One antenna for transmit and receive and then extra antennas for additional diversity receivers. Sometimes they are for mobile cellular systems and other times for things like Tetra.

Spain got Tetra systems for regional use and a Tetrapol, which is nothing like Tetra, for national service. So it might be both in that tower with 4 receive antennas.

/Ubbe

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
The cellular antennas are the white flat panels. Everything else is for other radio systems. You can get a rough idea of the frequency band by the length of the verticals. Sharing tower space is pretty common worldwide. I count 4 small parabolic dishes in the photo on the left (3 of them 1/3 and one 2/3 up the tower), which are probably microwave relays. The center verticals at the top appear to be lightning rods rather than antennas.
I agree about the sharing of tower space and that’s what threw me off because generally speaking, you rarely see the same identical setup on multiple towers where sharing takes place. But the ones that I saw were cookie cutter setups, leading me to think that it may all belong to the same system.

I think it’s something Like what Ubbe was stating. It is something like Tetra or similar equipment as it is very cookie cutter.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Hard to tell really.

Could be paging, cellular or colocated two-way but as ubbe suggested, it looks like a diversity receive setup.

Heck, the flat panel antennas might not even be cellular.

freddaniel

I have seen this in China and Asian countries. I believe it is a low-cost, low-power telephone service based upon the DECT standard, which stands for Digital Enhanced Cordless Technology. If I recall correctly, it uses wide-area paging for in-bound call setup, and local telco lines for out-bound. It has one shared receive antenna and 4 transmitters or more combined. It could also be a MPT-1327 trunked system. Depends who struck a deal to share cellular tower space.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
older cellular used to use omni antennas a lot, I know of more than one tower here that still has some up even though they have long since been removed from use. a lot of times antennas are left in place either because it just isn't necessary to take them down if they own the tower, or the lease terms would keep the price the same/possibly give up the section of vertical space so they keep them up.

mw0cqu

it has been common practice since the TACS days to add "overlay cells"
so the 3 sector cells serve their wider 120 degrees of coverage, but as capacity limits are reached
cellphones near to the cell site handover into the overlay cell

the overlay was commonly an omni site

'CQU

Status
Not open for further replies.